What's new

I am finally ready to admit it- I hate Williams Mug Soap!

Threads like this only exist because there is no consensus on Williams, and long may it be so.
Yup. I bought a few pucks as a result of this thread, though I'm not sure when I'll go back to it. Just don't buy those ultra-cheap no-name musical instruments on Amazon or Ebay!

So, is the general consensus that new Williams works just like ol' Williams?
Not only no, but heck no! Not even close.

A small reformulation to "williams supreme" or whatever would be great, or if they could make four different scents, or whatever, but none of that is going to happen.

In the meantime, if you want to know and experience what vintage Williams was like, go get some CBL Tonsorial soap. Pretty much an exact copy.

More modern Williams love.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I’m taking part in the December GRUME and really wanted to try Williams. I did some trades and finally ended up with a puck. A lot of work for something that cost $1.29 at the grocery store.

Long story short, I like it. I’ve spent more on some artisan soaps and got worst shaves. Williams didn’t give me glorious lather but it gave me good slickness and a great shave.

I Just bought a puck last week at my grocery store for a 1.09. Did a lather with the proraso boar no bloom, special procedures or anything on the soap and it got really good lather in a pretty short time that didn't dissipate. I'm not sure what to say... I really doubt I got a vintage puck either since that was 7-10 years ago? I wish it was unscented, but it does smell weaker and the lemon does smell better, or a little more tart to me than arko.

Christmas Season Day 25.

Rockwell 6S Matte Black with Modern Williams and Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower and Bloom/Lather Building Water
Soap: Modern Williams
Razor: Rockwell 6S (R5, R4, and R3)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Razor
Blade: Dorco Prime (2)/Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow Blade (10)
Brush: Zenith Boar
AS: Aqua Velva (US)
ASB: Aqua Velva (US)

Just a fantastic shave.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I was a hard-core Williams user for 2 years. Some days it worked most days it didn't. It would dry out on my neck and around my mouth. Using a fatip gentile I would get cuts and irritation 7/10 times. I am now using Feather Popular with Barbasol can and applying it with a dry boar brush. Sounds crazy I know but I want readily available low cost and Barbasol meets that criteria.

My face is so sensitive that I avoid face lathering. Even when I tried Arko, I sliced a piece off the stick, pressed it into my shave bowl and then built my lather. I did get a decent shave with Arko. My complaint was that it left my face feeing very tight and dry. That is a feeling I won't tolerate.

I found it to be drying and harsh. I don't really have a problem shaving with it, beyond that. But I don't do 4-pass shaves.

There are much better cheap soaps out there. Many glycerin soaps, for instance.

@RayClem FWIW, while the Williams didn't irritate my face, I threw it away after 2 shaves. There was nothing likeable about it. Similarly to you, I bought it just for the sake of trying it out. Nothing to write home about (OK, that's a gross understatement).

I can't overstate how happy I have been since I came across the SV. Many great soaps out there, but none quite alike. I've been totally converted about the quality of vegetable/vegan soaps ever since. Saying this as a meet-lover.

I used 'vintage' Williams each day in the 70s-80s when it was not yet vintage and I have no memories of gobs of rich Santa beards. I remember it being thin, slick, and efficient, just as it is today. 40 years ago no one wasted 2 minutes and a lot of soap to get mountains of lather. You hit the puck with your wet boar brush for 20 seconds, slapped it on your face, and shaved. I really don't think the product has changed. Sure I can get mountains of lather from it, but there's no need to do that. 20 second load, face lather, maybe adding a little water to the brush, and shave.
That's the way I remember it too, and we didn't relather and do 3-pass shaves. Probably why I occasionally missed whiskers, and nicked myself.

Clayton

The modern Williams is usable if you soak it in hot water. I keep lathering directly on the soap, but it takes a while before it looks thick enough to put on my face. It is a slippery lather if you can manage a good density.

It's wastes more soap to lather like that, but I am fine since these pucks are like 95¢ locally.

Williams Wednesday.

Blackland Blackbird Brass and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Williams Mug Soap
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Brass (OC and SB)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (5)
Brush: Zenith Big Scrubby Boar
AS: Aqua Velva Ice Blue (Eur)
ASB: Aqua Velva (Eur)

Just a great shave.
[IMG]

[IMG]

Williams Wednesday.

Blade: Personna Lab Blue (5)

Just a great shave.

That looks like a good lather from Williams. It always starts off as an airy lather but I just keep lathering on the puck until it thickens into becoming “paste-like”.

Not exactly the prettiest lather, but very slippery

Williams Wednesday on a Thursday.

Classic Shaving Occams DE and Modern Williams with Aqua Velva.

Razor: Occams DE (OC and SOC)
Blade: Astra SS (1)

Yesterday's shave was so great, I did it again with the Occams DE.
[IMG]

[IMG]

Blade: Personna Lab Blue (6)

Just a great shave.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Blade: Personna Lab Blue (6)

Just a great shave.
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

You’re keeping Williams alive! Good stuff.

Top Bottom