What's new

I am finally ready to admit it- I hate Williams Mug Soap!

With my little tweak, Williams has actually become my FAVORITE soap of all the ones I currently own. Lathers and shaves about like white label B&M for me.

Reminder: the "tweak" was coarsely grating the puck, adding enough glycerin so that all the little pieces of soap felt moist, adding lemon and grapefruit essential oils to make it smell great, stirring the pieces all around until thoroughly mixed, then pressing it down into a puck in a container.

Now it smells great, lathers easily, and creates a stable, thick lather that is also quite slick. The best of all possible worlds, and for a fraction of the price of most artisan soaps.

With my little tweak, Williams has actually become my FAVORITE soap of all the ones I currently own. Lathers and shaves about like white label B&M for me.

Reminder: the "tweak" was coarsely grating the puck, adding enough glycerin so that all the little pieces of soap felt moist, adding lemon and grapefruit essential oils to make it smell great, stirring the pieces all around until thoroughly mixed, then pressing it down into a puck in a container.

Now it smells great, lathers easily, and creates a stable, thick lather that is also quite slick. The best of all possible worlds, and for a fraction of the price of most artisan soaps.

That’s what I do with my Floridian Willy!

Grate, add some glycerin and Florida Water, stir then press to bottom of container.

The Florida water and Williams together smells amazing. They both compliment each other and bring out different scents.

Sounds like a very clever idea. I already have some tea tree essential oil, maybe that would work too. You think?

Sounds like a very clever idea. I already have some tea tree essential oil, maybe that would work too. You think?
Sure.

To me the important part is the glycerin. I wish I had measured exactly how I made this, because it's fantastic, but I only used have a puck (I was experimenting). I used the essential oils only for scent. If you like the scent of tea trea oil, you could use it, to be sure. It won't make it lather better unless you also add the glycerin, although I think they may be some benefit to just grating the puck and reforming it; if nothing else, it might make more soap available for immediate lathering.

Sure.

To me the important part is the glycerin. I wish I had measured exactly how I made this, because it's fantastic, but I only used have a puck (I was experimenting). I used the essential oils only for scent. If you like the scent of tea trea oil, you could use it, to be sure. It won't make it lather better unless you also add the glycerin, although I think they may be some benefit to just grating the puck and reforming it; if nothing else, it might make more soap available for immediate lathering.
Thanks! I've ordered glycerin, grapefruit oil and a few more pucks of Williams. This seems like a worthy, and not too costly, experiment. At least I won't end up with an explosion, as I did once or twice as a young 'un.

It only takes minimal skill to make a dense and slick lather with Williams. Nevertheless it's skill some are unable to master.
I'm not sure if it's skill, or just more time and effort than some other soaps. Either way, I see no reason to put down either the soap or those who don't like it. It's great that Williams is still available, and the same with Tabac. Lots of choices, both traditional and new.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm not sure if it's skill, or just more time and effort than some other soaps. Either way, I see no reason to put down either the soap or those who don't like it. It's great that Williams is still available, and the same with Tabac. Lots of choices, both traditional and new.
I would agree. I think in some ways the attraction of Williams for some is why some others don't like it. It's not as quick to give you a good lather compared to other soaps I've used. I can get a good lather, but for time spent getting it, those other soaps are more efficient. Some like a challenge or to be able to do something that others have trouble doing. If that is the case, they feel rewarded by getting a good lather even if it requires more time.

If modern Williams lathered as well as Vintage Williams, it would find a lot more supporters. It would be the American Arko. It was that at one time and I'd argue we (USA) should have a long manufactured, everyman, workman like shaving soap that seems so common to other countries around the world. We had it and it was reformulated - not for the better. I can't imagine the original formula would cost that much more - a few cents?

The USA formerly had Colgate and Palmolive producing excellent shaving products here as well, they are gone from the US. Palmolive can be imported and is a very good shaving soap (better than Williams IMO - at least modern Williams). Old Spice is gone as well. I really wish Williams (Combe) would step up and improve their product.

At least Barbasol is still plugging along with good products, even if they are brushless.

I use Williams in a mug in the shower. I don't shave very often in the shower but I needed a good throwaway for the task. I used some Dr Conk Bay Rum slices to shim it in the mug. When I used at the sink, I added cream to it.

The two prices I can get Williams are:
Walgreens Ship to Store 1.49
Big Y market 1.59

Heard Market Basket carries Williams but still waiting for the new one locally to be built
Big Y, now you’re talking. That’s where I get mine right off the shelf for 1.59 a puck.

I really like Williams, but then I like Arko also. Williams defiantly gets better with daily use. It is not the kind of soap you can use once a month and expect it to work for you. It need a daily hydration to really get going. And a big boar brush!

I was just trying to use what I had open so I combined (roughly equal amounts) of Williams, Arko, and Prorasso White into a Marvy Mug. Works really well unsurprisingly.

I was just trying to use what I had open so I combined (roughly equal amounts) of Williams, Arko, and Prorasso White into a Marvy Mug. Works really well unsurprisingly.
Good idea. I'm going to try @kingfisher's experiment soon in my Marvy Mug, or maybe in a plastic container. Nothing can be too luxurious for discerning folk like you and me, right?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I used 'vintage' Williams each day in the 70s-80s when it was not yet vintage and I have no memories of gobs of rich Santa beards. I remember it being thin, slick, and efficient, just as it is today. 40 years ago no one wasted 2 minutes and a lot of soap to get mountains of lather. You hit the puck with your wet boar brush for 20 seconds, slapped it on your face, and shaved. I really don't think the product has changed. Sure I can get mountains of lather from it, but there's no need to do that. 20 second load, face lather, maybe adding a little water to the brush, and shave.

Good idea. I'm going to try @kingfisher's experiment soon in my Marvy Mug, or maybe in a plastic container. Nothing can be too luxurious for discerning folk like you and me, right?
I'm sure it will work fine. IMO the issue people have with modern Williams is loading the brush. If you maybe 2 tablespoons of water to a new puck, let the water soak in and soften it, then keep it hydrated it will work much better. The glycerine and grating will serve a similar purpose I would think.

On a side note, when I combined those 3 soaps I didn't grate because my Williams was soft from the technique I was talking about and the other two are soft so I smashed them with my hands and combined them like a meatball. Ha ha.

I used 'vintage' Williams each day in the 70s-80s when it was not yet vintage and I have no memories of gobs of rich Santa beards. I remember it being thin, slick, and efficient, just as it is today. 40 years ago no one wasted 2 minutes and a lot of soap to get mountains of lather. You hit the puck with your wet boar brush for 20 seconds, slapped it on your face, and shaved. I really don't think the product has changed. Sure I can get mountains of lather from it, but there's no need to do that. 20 second load, face lather, maybe adding a little water to the brush, and shave.
That's exactly what I do except I also moisten the puck with water, let it soak in, then keep it hydrated by squeezing left over lather back into the mug. Works fine that way. If I don't add a little water to a new pick and let it absorb I get the disappearing lather everyone is talking about.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
That's exactly what I do except I also moisten the puck with water, let it soak in, then keep it hydrated by squeezing left over lather back into the mug. Works fine that way. If I don't add a little water to a new pick and let it absorb I get the disappearing lather everyone is talking about.
I seldom get the disappearing lather but the few times I have I either wet the area with my hand, making it slick, or I slap the brush across it again. It really isn't a big deal. New or old, Williams works best if it is used every day, so you're correct about keeping it hydrated.

It's different. I am absolutely, 100% sure that the modern Williams is different from the vintage Williams. I went through a puck of vintage Williams. It lathered much more quickly and the lather was much more stable than the lather from modern Williams.

Having said that, after I grated it, added some glycerin, and mixed it all up and pressed it down into a puck, it was almost exactly like vintage Williams. So maybe the only thing that happened was that they are no longer adding as much glycerin as they used to. I don't know for sure, but I DO know for a fact that the vintage Williams and the modern Williams are different.

Good point. None of us wet shave to save time.
Yes, but the extra minute or two involved is minor compared to the time needed for three careful passes with a DE rather than the one quick pass in the shower I used to do with the cartridge razor. I guess it comes down to how much time you have, and whether you want to enjoy the ritual or just get it over with quickly.

Top Bottom