What's new

I am feeling very annoyed right now...

I hear you and the answer Gillette didn't want to give you is very simple; profit maximization. And the only reason they can ask so much for a product that costed less than 10 cents a piece to make is the fact that enough people accept that and just pay.....

Yes indeed!

They charge what the market will bear! (Then they get ’marketing guys’ to build/maintain that market.):sob::sob:

Isn’t that the goal of every corporation? Does anyone start a business with the goal of not making as much profit as possible?
To be honest, I know a lot of (smaller) corporations that do want to take a healthy profit but are not in the game of profit maximization. Usually they are small enough that the CEO knows his/her customers and are not listed, so they have control over their business themselves.

They usually really like what they do.....

Good evening all.

I am feeling somewhat annoyed right now. When I visited my local supermarket earlier this afternoon to pick up a Click and Collect item; I took the time to visit the shaving section. The various Gillette refills all had some sort of electronic tag on them that must be removed on purchase (for instance one pack of Gillette Fusion blades cost about the same as a bottle of fine red wine).

I even made a comment on Gillette's Facebook page 'Why are your blades so expensive that you need to take out a mortgate to pay for them?' Obviously I was exaggerating there but even so, Gillette never replied (go figure).

Never mind. Thanks to everyone on this forum and some of my own research, I am now enjoying wetshaving very much!

Jason.
The tags are there to prevent thieves opening the pack up, removing the blades and closing the pack. I wait until there is an offer on for the large packs before buying. The real sad part is that the employee inventor got ziltch from Gillette even after they made billions.

To be honest, I know a lot of (smaller) corporations that do want to take a healthy profit but are not in the game of profit maximization. Usually they are small enough that the CEO knows his/her customers and are not listed, so they have control over their business themselves.

They usually really like what they do.....
I guess, but when does a company cross the line from “healthy profit” to
“profit maximization”? If they start making too much money what do they do to limit their profit?

I’m not trying to be snarky, but I find it fascinating that Gillette is considered to be so evil for making a profit, which is what they’ve always been about, when that is the primary goal of every business.

but I find it fascinating that Gillette is considered to be so evil for making a profit
In all honesty, I do not hold that against them; it is their customer stupid enough to pay too much that keeps that process going. If I hold anything against Gillette it is their Chinese generic current DE and with that denying their heritage as creator of that system.

“profit maximization”?
Tough to answer indeed. I think it usually goes wrong as soon as the management of a company is leashed by its shareholders.

In all honesty, I do not hold that against them; it is their customer stupid enough to pay too much that keeps that process going. If I hold anything against Gillette it is their Chinese generic current DE and with that denying their heritage as creator of that system.

Tough to answer indeed. I think it usually goes wrong as soon as the management of a company is leashed by its shareholders.
As we both pointed out in the thread with the ad from 1947 guys were paying almost 61 cents a blade in todays dollars for carbon steel DE blades that were considered awful from what I’ve read. Gillette has had some stupid customers for a long time I guess!

“profit maximization”? If they start making too much money what do they do to limit their profit?
B Corp, it's the hot new thing for "responsible companies."

Remember an officer of a corporation can only act as defined my it's articles of incorporation. If maximizing profit for the shareholders is it's purpose then he is legally bound to do so.

Good evening all.

I am feeling somewhat annoyed right now. When I visited my local supermarket earlier this afternoon to pick up a Click and Collect item; I took the time to visit the shaving section. The various Gillette refills all had some sort of electronic tag on them that must be removed on purchase (for instance one pack of Gillette Fusion blades cost about the same as a bottle of fine red wine).

I even made a comment on Gillette's Facebook page 'Why are your blades so expensive that you need to take out a mortgate to pay for them?' Obviously I was exaggerating there but even so, Gillette never replied (go figure).

Never mind. Thanks to everyone on this forum and some of my own research, I am now enjoying wetshaving very much!

Jason.
This is the primary reason why I switched to wet shaving.

A co-worker of mine got me into it and the first thing that peaked my interest was the shavings, I mean savings 😆. A little shaving joke there haha!

But when I started to research it more it just looked really fun. 8 years later I haven’t looked back.

Cartridge shaving is such a rip off, not as fun and the experience just felt like a chore, looking back on it.

B Corp, it's the hot new thing for "responsible companies."

Remember an officer of a corporation can only act as defined my it's articles of incorporation. If maximizing profit for the shareholders is it's purpose then he is legally bound to do so.
I have never heard of B Corps before so had to do a very quick search and pulled a quote from one explanation:

“Believe in the power of business as a force for good

They believe that the purpose of a company is to create inclusive, environmentally-sustainable prosperity. They also believe in making money while doing good. This means that non-profits aren't eligible.”

Interesting, to say the least.

Thought you might like that. You will notice on the websites of some companies now that it says "Certified B Corp." The ones that are are quite proud of it.
Oh I’m sure they are! But in the admittedly limited amount of research I did I didn’t see anything about limiting their profits, just that they “do good”. Isn’t it safe to assume that all/most large corporations, Gillette included, donate money and support to various charitable organizations?

Oh I’m sure they are! But in the admittedly limited amount of research I did I didn’t see anything about limiting their profits, just that they “do good”. Isn’t it safe to assume that all/most large corporations, Gillette included, donate money and support to various charitable organizations?
It's all in the articles of incorporation. You might say B corps are running around with a t-shirt that proclaims their responsibility and the certification backs it up supposedly. A mega-corp may donate money, doughuful, but it would have to clear the board and not affect their profit. Unlike an individual, I am not certain that there is tax benefit for the largest companies.

Found this on Gillette’s website. Kinda looks like they’re doing some good on the COVID front. Of course that’s not as awesome as a t-shirt!

Found this on Gillette’s website. Kinda looks like they’re doing some good on the COVID front. Of course that’s not as awesome as a t-shirt!
Good counter point, donating product costs them a lot less for the goodwill it earns them. And taking care of employees is always a plus.

King Gillette was never about making razors. They were made extremely well and durable to last a hundred years and they do. The bugger wanted to sell a lot of blades and he does. The DE blades are cheaper than the plastic monstrosities. The best blade for use and economy was the straight at that time and surprisingly still is. The King could not kill the straight but he made a difference. His safety razor was introduced during the war years to aid troops in achieving a decent shave under awful conditions. Selling blades was and still is what Gillette does. Razors are the incidental.
same with printer ink cartridges and toners. you can buy a printer for peanuts but you always have to use proprietary consumables, where hthe profit is. (game consols are the same, sony hardly ever made profit on PS3, but chanelling the game sales inhouse made big $. cars and car parts are not different) Selling the consumables always a good strategy, King C. was a smart cookie.

Asking someone to unlock and get you a Gillette cart must be more embarrassing than asking the lady salesperson for the extra small condoms.
Many years ago when I purchased some refills for my Mach3, as well as having to unlock the cabinet, they were also carrying out security checks to make double-sure I had means of payment and that I was actually going to buy the blades. Now that was really embarrassing.

Having said that perhaps the store had problems with blade theft in the past to be fair.

Jason.

Top Bottom