What's new

I am fed up with the AoS prices, is there any similar products alternatives?

Does any of our B&B'ers know a good shave cream or soap alternative to AoS. They have good stuff but stuffy prices.

Let's hear some top makers that have good stuff and down to earth prices that we can buy for loved ones at Christmas and all year.:thumbup1:

Mikes soaps?:huh:

I've become a big fan of Stirling soaps. Great scents, easy lather, and $5-6 a puck. My favorite is Ozark Mountains. SWMBO loves the scent of the bay rum. You can also get sample sizes (1/3 of a puck) for $1.75.

Rod is great to do business with, too. He always reimburses me for any difference between what I pay for shipping and actual cost.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I suggest Valobra for hard shaving pucks and RazoRock for soft soaps.

P.S. Viva L'Italia! :thumbup1:

I second the motion for the Valobra puck or Razorock. After all, the AOS soaps were made by the same manufacturers responsible for Valobra (I am not sure that is still the case). I have just had my first shave with the puck of Valobra fougere a few hours ago and it was outstanding.

Other suggestions: Institut Karite and the Razorock derivatives - 888 Eucalyptus and Kiing Louis Lavender; I would also recommend the various soaps from Tcheon Fung Sing, especially the BDF line from Bullgoose.

RazoRock is very well priced and they have products that perform just as well as almost anything out there. Plus there are tons of choices to suit your tastes.

Taylor of Old Bond Street (often referred to as TOBS), is comparable, and MUCH less expensive -- depending on where you buy it, close to have the price.

When comparing prices, remember that AOS is 5 oz (142g), and TOBS is 150g. The AOS tub looks bigger because it has a pretty big false bottom.

I guess it would be relative to the scent you're trying to find. There's been the newer artisinal soap makers that really strive to make good products.
I've purchased some Mike's and was thoroughly impressed. I really like the product. Razorock is another in my top rotation and I still absolutely love Proraso green.

I suggest Valobra for hard shaving pucks and RazoRock for soft soaps.

P.S. Viva L'Italia! :thumbup1:

I second the motion for the Valobra puck or Razorock. After all, the AOS soaps were made by the same manufacturers responsible for Valobra (I am not sure that is still the case). I have just had my first shave with the puck of Valobra fougere a few hours ago and it was outstanding.

Other suggestions: Institut Karite and the Razorock derivatives - 888 Eucalyptus and Kiing Louis Lavender; I would also recommend the various soaps from Tcheon Fung Sing, especially the BDF line from Bullgoose.

I guess it would be relative to the scent you're trying to find. There's been the newer artisinal soap makers that really strive to make good products.
I've purchased some Mike's and was thoroughly impressed. I really like the product. Razorock is another in my top rotation and I still absolutely love Proraso green.

In terms of quality, consistency, variety and price point Razorock is unmatched.
Are you guys doing an undercover commercial for Razo?:laugh:..... well, i received a r-160 sweet almond Razo from one of our fave B&B vendor buddy , i must admit that the scent is awesome and seems very well concentrated, so a dab will do ya. Good price too.

You can find cella for as little as $8 or $9 and it should last around 4-5 months. It's a phenomenal product as well.

I'll throw another vote to Stirling. At $6 a puck it is hard to beat and the Anise and Ozark scents are awesome. That being said, the soap I reach for most often is Mike's. You can get 3 of his for the cost of one AoS.

Does any of our B&B'ers know a good shave cream or soap alternative to AoS. They have good stuff but stuffy prices.

Let's hear some top makers that have good stuff and down to earth prices that we can buy for loved ones at Christmas and all year.:thumbup1:

Mikes soaps?:huh:

certainly a very experienced member asking such a question.

just a rant?

btw, one more day left on aos' sale promo.

If you are willing to go "artisian", check out Mundus on Etsy. Great soap, lovely fragrances and will hang with the big boys with no problem

So many great choices!

Artisan Soaps: Mike's, Stirling, etc.

Commercial: Oh my... Tabac, MWF, Cella, RazoRock, ........

If you are willing to go "artisian", check out Mundus on Etsy. Great soap, lovely fragrances and will hang with the big boys with no problem

I don't know if Mundus closed her shop or what, but I've checked on Etsy for the last two weeks and it says she will be off for a few days since I first looked into her shop.

I'd like to see someone do a mass sandalwood comparison similar to the bay rum comparison in the AS forum. I'd volunteer but I'm paying a wedding that is happening next week. Don't think SWMBO would be happy if I bought 20 sandalwood soaps instead of her ring

certainly a very experienced member asking such a question.

just a rant?

btw, one more day left on aos' sale promo.

I had a similar thought. Alex certainly knows the spectrum of soaps and creams.

On a related note, I just purchased 5 AOS soap pucks for about $90 shipped using coupons, or about $18 each. Given how long they last I think that is a pretty good value.

Top Bottom