What's new

I am fed up with the AoS prices, is there any similar products alternatives?

I've not used the non tallow AOS, but the old tallow AOS is fantastic (I am rationing my one puck). That said, it is ridiculously overpriced and even if they made it, I wouldn't buy more. I think the following all perform nearly as well, if not as well, for much less coin:

Barrister and Mann
Mike's
Petal Pusher Fancies
DR Harris (though I find its performance a little erratic for some reason)
Haslinger Schafsmilch (probably spelled wrong)

Klar Kabinett would be on there too, but it's discontinued. My understanding is the other Klar Soaps are good performers, but they are fairly expensive.

I'm sure there are others, but these soaps are all great performers for me. You'll note: they have absolutely nothing in common in terms of ingredients or form, but they all perform really well.

I don't know what AoS prices are (other than high), but my first three picks would be:
1. Cella
2. Cella and
3. Cella.

Enough said?

certainly a very experienced member asking such a question.

just a rant?

btw, one more day left on aos' sale promo.
Not a rant... i really want to get some feedback as educated consumer we can have an edge on shave product buying. B&B knows that i always ask questions and i never want to stop learning new fun things everyday at B&B.

I've not used the non tallow AOS, but the old tallow AOS is fantastic (I am rationing my one puck). That said, it is ridiculously overpriced and even if they made it, I wouldn't buy more. I think the following all perform nearly as well, if not as well, for much less coin:

Barrister and Mann
Mike's
Petal Pusher Fancies
DR Harris (though I find its performance a little erratic for some reason)
Haslinger Schafsmilch (probably spelled wrong)

Klar Kabinett would be on there too, but it's discontinued. My understanding is the other Klar Soaps are good performers, but they are fairly expensive.

I'm sure there are others, but these soaps are all great performers for me. You'll note: they have absolutely nothing in common in terms of ingredients or form, but they all perform really well.
How did you know about the Haslinger Schafsmilch line, are they suggested by other B&B'ers or sites?

Not a rant... i really want to get some feedback as educated consumer we can have an edge on shave product buying. B&B knows that i always ask questions and i never want to stop learning new fun things everyday at B&B.

that's great, alex. so, let me ask this, what aos soaps or creams have you liked the most?

I'll throw another vote to Stirling. At $6 a puck it is hard to beat and the Anise and Ozark scents are awesome. That being said, the soap I reach for most often is Mike's. You can get 3 of his for the cost of one AoS.

Stirling will make your skin happy.

So many great choices!

Artisan Soaps: Mike's, Stirling, etc.

Commercial: Oh my... Tabac, MWF, Cella, RazoRock, ........

I've become a big fan of Stirling soaps. Great scents, easy lather, and $5-6 a puck. My favorite is Ozark Mountains. SWMBO loves the scent of the bay rum. You can also get sample sizes (1/3 of a puck) for $1.75.

Rod is great to do business with, too. He always reimburses me for any difference between what I pay for shipping and actual cost.
Wow, it seems like Stirling is a fave too, are they top notch in quality or just above average in overall affordability. AoS has a hold on quality which they over inflate for profits and not because they are true to the traditional wet shave art.

I've always thought that RazoRock Fresco is a spitting image of AOS Ocean Kelp. Similar consistency and similar scent. And of course about $20 cheaper. But quite honestly, if I was buying it for a loved one, I'd splurge and get the AOS because I think the tub looks nicer and would be more durable (i.e. the tub is made with thicker plastic and has a screw-top as opposed to those somewhat annoying "pop" tops of RazoRock from that era).

Really would have expected more love for panna crema, this stuff is amazing at a great price. Only flaw is availability but I posted on the BST once and got a lot of feedback and offers.

I get AOS software as Christmas/Fathers Day/Birthday gifts from loved ones. I like their software and have never spent a dime in there. Such a win/win for me.

I'll throw another vote to Stirling. At $6 a puck it is hard to beat and the Anise and Ozark scents are awesome. That being said, the soap I reach for most often is Mike's. You can get 3 of his for the cost of one AoS.
It seems that Mike has been on a roll lately, he is replacing MAMA bears it seems.
Stirling will make your skin happy.
Yes, i may look into them, they are a hit on B&B .

So many great choices!

Artisan Soaps: Mike's, Stirling, etc.

Commercial: Oh my... Tabac, MWF, Cella, RazoRock, ........
Steve, our members seem to be a wealth of knowledge. It makes it easier than doing blind research.

I've become a big fan of Stirling soaps. Great scents, easy lather, and $5-6 a puck. My favorite is Ozark Mountains. SWMBO loves the scent of the bay rum. You can also get sample sizes (1/3 of a puck) for $1.75.

Rod is great to do business with, too. He always reimburses me for any difference between what I pay for shipping and actual cost.
Does Rod make the soaps too?

I've always thought that RazoRock Fresco is a spitting image of AOS Ocean Kelp. Similar consistency and similar scent. And of course about $20 cheaper. But quite honestly, if I was buying it for a loved one, I'd splurge and get the AOS because I think the tub looks nicer and would be more durable (i.e. the tub is made with thicker plastic and has a screw-top as opposed to those somewhat annoying "pop" tops of RazoRock from that era).
Wouldnt the cost and product quality justify the switch away from AoS?

Really would have expected more love for panna crema, this stuff is amazing at a great price. Only flaw is availability but I posted on the BST once and got a lot of feedback and offers.
Why is it not available, is there production issues.?

I get AOS software as Christmas/Fathers Day/Birthday gifts from loved ones. I like their software and have never spent a dime in there. Such a win/win for me.
But the real question is, what if it was your $$, would you look for alternatives?

Last edited:
I would give another vote for RazoRock. I really like the R-160. They also just released a very popular sent that has been unavailable for a long time called "XXX". People rave about it here on B&B and the only thing stopping me from ordering some for myself is the 2013 GRUC. Also, If you have never tried Proraso... They are excellent creams/soaps and very affordable.

Mike's! Out of the dozen or so soaps and creams I've tried Mike's is the best, and it leaves my skin feeling great.

Haslinger's soaps are great, I did see them mentioned earlier.

I didn't see anyone mention L'Occitane, or maybe I missed it. Their hard soap is non-tallow but SOLID performer, and their ASBs are great, I would put them right on par with AOS.

I'll throw a vote for Panna Crema. And Barrister & Mann, Stirling, Tabac, Razorock...all fantastic performers.

EDIT

And don't forget Haslinger Schafmilch. I haven't tried the non-sheep's milk/lanolin versions, but the Schafmilch is all around great.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I hate to sound like a naysayer, but Proraso? Really? Also, many of the others, while they may be good, are they AOS good?

I'm also curious, as I missed out on replacing my AOS soap before the reformulation. Besides, after 2 years of sabbaticals I am ready to re-stock, but only with premium products, nothing that is "almost" or "nearly the same".

I'm thinking about C&S and also watching what the cool kids are using.

How did you know about the Haslinger Schafsmilch line, are they suggested by other B&B'ers or sites?

I've got some and it's a serious lather. I haven't decided on the scents of the Schafsmilch or Honig yet (too floral for me yet, I may come around), but they are top tier shaves otherwise.

Hi Alex: My favorite shave soaps are Mike's, Mystic Water, Barrister & Mann, and Cella. As far as creams. . . I love TOBS. TOBS creams perform better than AoS from my experience.

WARHAWK

I stick to my Stirling and Mike's. One trick I read for dealing with Mike's for shipping times - apparently Vintage Razorblades LLC has Mike's in stock, so I've read that that is a lot faster.

Top Bottom