What's new

I am deeply saddened with my Parker 96R

Before giving up on the Parker, I would experiment with several brands of blades.
I'd just give up on the Parker. You won't find that many recommendations for Parker razors on here. TTO razors in general are also compromised by their indifferent blade support.

The only Parker I have is the 26C, and I have no plans to buy another.

Obviously that's all just my personal opinion and YMMV.

Reactions: Kix
I have a Parker 87R (I like the design). My understanding is that all Parker TTO razors share the same head. As others have said, I believe it's a more aggressive design than the 1960s-1970s era Super Speed. When I was newer at DE shaving, I got irritation using this razor due to poor technique. Now that my technique is improved I have found that it can provide a close shave.

The five razors arrived today! I'll be shaving with this one tomorrow morning:

J3 1964 Slim Adjustable
The follow on to the "Fat Boy".
A great unsung razor that somehow missed all the fanfare.

I have put a Wilkinson Sword Stainless (by Gillette) in the razor and will report how well it shaves.

Thank you, Phil!

Thanks to Phil (Luvmysuper) I shaved with the 1964 Slim Adjustable. (The follow-on to the "Fat Boy").

This razor is outstanding! The shave is superb and on the '5' setting I only suffered a minor amount of razor burn. (I have since backed off the setting to '3' on the adjustment dial). For a 58-year-old razor, it is fantastic!

If this is a great "unsung" razor, today, I sing its praises!

Again, I thank you, Phil.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks to Phil (Luvmysuper) I shaved with the 1964 Slim Adjustable. (The follow-on to the "Fat Boy").

This razor is outstanding! The shave is superb and on the '5' setting I only suffered a minor amount of razor burn. (I have since backed off the setting to '3' on the adjustment dial). For a 58-year-old razor, it is fantastic!

Fatboys get a lot of attention, but the Slim is every bit as good!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

I keep my Slim on #4, for a very comfortable shave.

~doug~

I've been at this a while. I think that the Dorco blades may have had a hand in the poor performance. I shave at about a 20-25 degree angle and let her razor do the work.

I'm going to try some better blades to see if that won't improve the situation.
Curious, were the Dorco blades made in Vietnam or Korea? Also if you are looking for a mild razor the King C. Gillette could fit the bill. Find it much milder than my Weishi 9306 and can still get a BBS shave with an extra pass and adjusted technique.

I've been at this a while. I think that the Dorco blades may have had a hand in the poor performance. I shave at about a 20-25 degree angle and let her razor do the work.

I'm going to try some better blades to see if that won't improve the situation.
Curious, were the Dorco blades made in Vietnam or Korea? Also if you are looking for a mild razor the King C. Gillette could fit the bill. Find it much milder than my Weishi 9306 and can still get a BBS shave with an extra pass and adjusted technique.
If the new "adjustable" I have coming doesn't do the job, I may take you up on that offer.

Today, I offered to buy a friend of mine's 43-year-old son a new KCG razor to wean him away from his electric "power mower". He turned me down. There are some young un's that just can't see the forest for the trees.

Go figure.
Generous offer from Luvmysuper. When I started shaving in college it was with a Black Beauty Super Adjustable DE (moved to electric 5 years later). It was a great razor, using nothing but generic canned goop I could set it for a mindless one pass DFS with a few touch ups and barely ever nicked myself. If your inbound new adjustable doesn't work you should consider the black beauty.

My Parker 96R is not as useful as I thought. It is too aggressive for my face as it nicks and cuts me on the lips and the "Adam's apple". I have ordered two other razors, one GBS adjustable and the Gillette Sterling 7 O'clock.

In the meantime, I am reverting to the Equate (Walmart) disposable "twin blade" razors until I can get my hands on the GBS. (It should be here by July 11th).

Wish me the best.
Just saw your subsequent thread where you just purchased a King C. Gillette and found that it worked well for you. Glad you found a solution that works well for you. Note that Geo Fatboy has a video demonstrating the King C. Gillette where he shows how "riding the cap" during touch ups can help ensure a BBS shave with this razor. This is a really well engineered razor.

These were made in Vietnam. (I also have a sore spot because of the Vietnam Conflict). Many of my older friends didn't come back. (I was serving stateside during the final days of the Conflict).

@Captain O, I'll join you in a duet!! The Gillette Slim is one of my favorite!! I go back and forth between 4 and 5, depending on the blade!!

Hummm...
Oh, my old Gillette Slim gives a wonderful shave
It's balanced nice and is one of my faves...
:a5:

These were made in Vietnam. (I also have a sore spot because of the Vietnam Conflict). Many of my older friends didn't come back. (I was serving stateside during the final days of the Conflict).
Thank you for your service. Sorry about the loss of your friends. Looks like you have the newer Dorco production. Hopefully the blades work better for you in your other razors than in the Parker. Realize YMMV and my Dorcos work well in my Weishi and King C. Gillette.

Thank you for your service. Sorry about the loss of your friends. Looks like you have the newer Dorco production. Hopefully the blades work better for you in your other razors than in the Parker. Realize YMMV and my Dorcos work well in my Weishi and King C. Gillette.

I sent them to ylekot in upstate New York. He's using and enjoying them as I write this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom