What's new

I am an IDIOT!!!!

First off, let me start by saying I am just as new to the world of fountain pens as I am to DE shaving (less than 3 weeks).

About 5 minutes ago I capped my Shaefer, put it in my breast pocket and went to talk to a colleage. I then heard the 4 most dreaded words "is your pen leaking?". I look down and there is a huge ink spot, I pull up the pen and I HAD CAPPED THE WRONG SIDE. I had put the pen in my pocket with the uncapped nib pointing down in my pocket. Anyway, now I am left with a big ink spot on one of my favorite shirts.

I have blotted & used hairspray on the area. I plan on keeping the spot moist and going home for lunch to blot some more and throw the shirt in the washer. Luckily I only live a few minutes away.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove an ink spot?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove an ink spot?

This has happened to other Appalachian-Americans; you're not the first, and you won't be the last. Your state abbreviation of "KY" does not stand for "slick".

Having said that, you might want to take the easy way out and dye the rest of the shirt to match the offending spot.

But my question is: if you capped the wrong end before putting the pen in your shirt pocket, what about all the words you thought you'd written, prior to capping the wrong end -- was the nib capped, or exposed?

When I did this, my nice work shirt turned into my new fishing shirt. I could not ge the ink out at all.

Two things are nearly impossible to completely remove. Oil base paint, and permanent ink. They are meant to be indelible and tough to remove from the surface which they are applied. Most dry cleaners won't touch either one. Trying to remove it usually damages the fabric in the area anyway.

This has happened to other Appalachian-Americans; you're not the first, and you won't be the last. Your state abbreviation of "KY" does not stand for "slick".

Having said that, you might want to take the easy way out and dye the rest of the shirt to match the offending spot.

But my question is: if you capped the wrong end before putting the pen in your shirt pocket, what about all the words you thought you'd written, prior to capping the wrong end -- was the nib capped, or exposed?

First - Kentuckiana refers to the area of Louisville, KY and a few neighboring cities in Southern Indiana. Louisvillians do not consider themselvs to be Kentuckians - think of it in terms of two Kentuckies - Louisville (& Lexington) and everywhere else. Of course this is all moot because I live in Indiana.

Second - I may end up having to dye the shirt dark blue or black

Lastly - I wrote with the pen and set it down for a while. Then I picked up the pen and put the cap on it without looking at it - obviously I put the cap on the wrong end. I just checked my workpapers and sure enough all the words are there. :wink:

Amodex is great stuff, but you might get the same help from any hand or body lotion containing lanolin (amodex is largely lanolin). Alcohol is mostly useless for liquid ink, but works great for ballpoint ink.

good luck, but it's probably a lost cause. I hope it wasnt' a favorite shirt.

I have used Simple Green, full strength, to remove ink and it works well. You may also have to face it that you have a nice work or paint shirt there. Chaulk one up for experience.

I hope it wasn't one of Noodler's bulletproof inks!

No, luckily it wasn't. It was a very inexpensive plastic Shaefer Calligraphy pen that my fiance found at a craft store. It still has the Shaefer cartrige that came with the pen.

I know it's a little hoaky to write with a calligraphy pen, but I don't want to spend $30+ on a fountain pen until I am sure I like them better. I also have a Pilot Varsity disposible FP.

On the shirt: I couldn't get any more of the ink out and it is currently in the washing machine. It's a light blue shirt that may end up dyed a navy blue or black :frown:

Sorry about the shirt. Here's a handy new product to prevent a recurrance.:001_smile

proxy.php

Top Bottom