What's new

I am a Menth Head!

The first step is to admit you have an addiction, the second step is to find others that will support you.

Friends, I am a Menth Head.

I love the cool icey burn of a good menthol shave. I have just received my lot of menthol shave soaps and aftershaves.

First up the is the Noble Otter -Notthern Elixer.

I start by putting about 2Tbs of water in to soften up the puck for 10 seconds and then pour that water into my scuttle filled with scorching hot water. I love the contrast of the hot layer with the icey menthol. 20 second load and 40-60 sec and lather is amazing!

Super smooth and slick, even my trouble areas on my neck where considerably less irritated.

After the shave such nice residual smoothness and a refreshing menthol eucalyptus scent.

That aftershave is more menthol smell than the soap.

So for my fellow Menth heads

Menthol burn 5/10 refreshing and cool but not the icey face splash I am used to. Eye burn 2/3 nasal burn 2/3 . The menthol coolness does not last long 45 mins.
IMG_1434.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1442.jpeg
IMG_1436.jpeg

Scent 6/10 menthol and eucalyptus pretty nice

Slickness whoa boy 9/10

Ease of lather 9/10

Residual feel 10/10 so smooth and my face feels great . I will update on how long it lasts , good soap last 6-8hrs exceptional soap for me is 12-24 hrs.

Sounds nice

I enjoy a menthol shave every now and then. I use frost drops ( I think there called) by Stirling.

I used to like my menthol shaves face freezing. But have toned it down some over the last couple of years.

Alright friends and fellow Menth heads here is the latest hit in test group. PAA Awesome Sauce CK 6.

I start by putting about 2Tbs of water in to soften up the puck for 10 seconds and then pour that water into my scuttle filled with scorching hot water. I love the contrast of the hot lather with the icey menthol. 20 second load and this one took a lot more work than the Noble Otter to get up to lather lusciousness lather is amazing!

Smooth and slick, and in the trouble areas on my neck it did an ok job but again Noble Otter for the win.

After the shave there is a nicer residual smoothness and a much stronger scent than Noble Otter that clings for much longer .

That aftershave is more alcohol burn than menthol and carry’s the smell from the soap amped up to 10. More cologne than aftershave at this point. Compared to Noble Otter it is like this one is made with iso propyl alcohol and the NO is made with Vodka in that I get no alcohol burn/smell that I get with this one.

So for my fellow Menth heads

Menthol burn 2/10 it is there but not up front, this soap would be a great intro to menthol soap.

Eye burn 0/10
Nasal burn 0/10

Scent 5/10 very pungent and pretty nice still deciding if it’s for me.

Slickness 8/10

Ease of lather 6/10 you have to work for it

Residual feel 6/10 smooth and my face
Pretty ok . I will update on how long it lasts , good soap last 6-8hrs exceptional soap for me is 12-24 hrs.

IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1463.jpeg

I like menthol and have used a couple of Stirling soaps with it. My only current soap is Proraso in the green tub. However, after every shave I have unscented witch hazel to which I have added a decent amount of menthol crystals. My favorite aftershave, when I use it is Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool, which is pretty frosty.

Thanks for the comparison between the two soaps and the picks.

Look forward to more of them.

Doc Dan I add menthol crystals to one of my witch hazel as well. It will be seeing more use. As it’s finally warming up around here.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
All Black Ship Grooming and Chiseled Face aftershaves have menthol.

Wow just simply Wow.
Barrister and Mann is by far the coldest most amazing Mentholated soap and after shave I have experienced this far and if you have been reading my posts you will know it is considerable variety of makers of mentholated soaps.
I still prefer the after shave face feel of the Noble Otter base but the Omnibus is a close second.

The mentholated goodness paired with the Omnibus base is a definite winner. For all you Menth heads I can highly recommend you seek this one out and add it to your den.

devil.jpeg

Thanks, all gents in this thread.
I really need some soap without making my eyes watery.
I got Stirling MITA many years ago.
When shaving with it, I almost need to close my eyes.
From then on, I must read enough reviews before pulling the trigger on menthol soaps.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I love the cool icey burn of a good menthol shave. I have just received my lot of menthol shave soaps and aftershaves.
Me, too! Except for the burn part. I want no part of any burning. And the menthol, eucalyptus menthol falls under the stinky label for my nose.

But aside from those two things, I'm right there. And I do wish you all the best with your icey burns. Enjoy your shaves.

From then on, I must read enough reviews before pulling the trigger on menthol soaps.
Too much of a good thing is too much. Proraso green is mild and cooling. Vi-John Icy Mint is slightly stronger, but not much. They are about right with the menthol and cooling for day to day use. The Vi-John is a lot cheaper over here and is a slightly better performer for me. I like the smell slightly better, but I can live with either. I don't know what it costs in the USA. Here is it around .76¢ per tube.

Too much of a good thing is too much. Proraso green is mild and cooling. Vi-John Icy Mint is slightly stronger, but not much. They are about right with the menthol and cooling for day to day use. The Vi-John is a lot cheaper over here and is a slightly better performer for me. I like the smell slightly better, but I can live with either. I don't know what it costs in the USA. Here is it around .76¢ per tube.
Your looking at $10 and change for a 125g tube shipped. Plus sales tax on the bay.

if you enjoy a nice mellow mentholated soap without watery eyes etc. the Laugar Rimfrost is a beautiful soap that you might enjoy

1687993364351.png

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I love my menthol soaps and aftershaves. I also made a large bottle of heavily mentholated witch hazel. I would suggest you try Sterling's Iced Pineapple, good menthol hit in both the soap and aftershave. It also has a the scent of a freshly cut Pineapple with no chemical smell.

But my favorite has to be, Master Soap Creation Frosted Lavender. This really delivers on the menthol hit. Plus when the menthol dies down your left with a beautiful fresh and clean Lavender scent, which to my nose is close to B&Ms Lavender.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
@Dave himself where did you get the Frosted Lavender? I need to try some (like I really need another lavender shaving soap :laugh: ).
I got of the UK Web site, Shaving Time. Another good thing is there's no alcohol in the aftershave, so these can be shipped worldwide. Hopefully the shipping won't be to bad for you.

Top Bottom