What's new

I actually went and bought myself a new razor.

My birthday approaches. I thought I’d treat myself to an actual new razor, since to date everything I’ve owned has been pre-owned.

The big trick was finding something I’d be likely to like. I had some requirements:

1) Must be more aggressive than average
2) Must NOT be made of zinc alloy
3) Must be under thirty US dollars, which is the limit of “have to check with the wife first”
4) Ideally, was made in a first world country.

It is remarkably difficult to find something that matches all that.

Then I remembered that FaTip is still a thing. Surfing around the web to see what I can come up with, I then found it is still possible to get the Schöne razor on Amazon with two day free delivery for $21. Easier and faster than ordering from the usual vendors. Schöne Shaving’s website is no more, which means the Schöne razor itself is likely out of production, but Alrossa still has nickel plated ones and I imagine is probably interested in being rid of them.

So I bought the Schöne razor in nickel and it arrived today. Presentation didn’t have much to say for itself. The sleeve around the top of the box was slid on upside down so I almost dropped it to the floor immediately because the inner box was upside down. No worries. It’s fine. No instructions, no anything. Just a shiny nickel razor in a box. Nothing wrong with the plating.

I shaved with it already. Proraso green cream, my green handled VDH boar I bought NOS awhile back, and a new GSB.

In this razor it is possible to load the blade crooked, and I did. Annoying. Took it out and did it more carefully the second time. Much better.

The shave was exactly what I wanted. Three pass BBS, no irritation, no issues on the tough parts of my beard. Found the angle immediately. Little blade noise or feel. Weight and balance didn’t get my attention at all one way or the other, so that was good. Proraso green splash went on painlessly.

It’s certainly no flawless artisan razor but it’s a keeper.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have that razor too. Its a very good razor. I have to give care to blade loading too. Yesterday in another post I said it was similar to an old classic sports car that needed a bit of care and feeding, but was rewarding.

Did you get the nickel on with the twist looking handle? That's what I have. As you say, comfortable and efficient.

I have that razor too. Its a very good razor. I have to give care to blade loading too. Yesterday in another post I said it was similar to an old classic sports car that needed a bit of care and feeding, but was rewarding.

Did you get the nickel on with the twist looking handle? That's what I have. As you say, comfortable and efficient.

Yes, the twist handle. Very handsome.

You don't have to completely take the razor apart to fix the alignment. Just loosen it slightly, adjust, and retighten. Do it again if you have to. After a while you get really good at it.

When I used a Fatip, I would get the blade alignment the way I liked it. Then I would leave the blade in the razor for however many shaves the blade lasted, usually 5-7. I never took it out until I was going to bin it. That way you only have to adjust the blade alignment once every week or so.

You don't have to completely take the razor apart to fix the alignment. Just loosen it slightly, adjust, and retighten. Do it again if you have to. After a while you get really good at it.

When I used a Fatip, I would get the blade alignment the way I liked it. Then I would leave the blade in the razor for however many shaves the blade lasted, usually 5-7. I never took it out until I was going to bin it. That way you only have to adjust the blade alignment once every week or so.

That's a good tip. Fortunately I'm not a blade swapper, especially in a 3-piece because too much nuisance. The GSB is in and will stay in until it is used up. I've decided to start having an actual rotation of my now-six razors (my Gillette New LC is going to fall out due to excessive mildness; the Schöne is essentially its replacement) so I can change up whenever I like.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
especially in a 3-piece because too much nuisance.
that's me. The blade stays locked down until it's dull and swapped out. I rinse the razor, but I leave everything tight. TTO, sure I'll open and rinse the blade.

My birthday approaches. I thought I’d treat myself to an actual new razor, since to date everything I’ve owned has been pre-owned.

The big trick was finding something I’d be likely to like. I had some requirements:

1) Must be more aggressive than average
2) Must NOT be made of zinc alloy
3) Must be under thirty US dollars, which is the limit of “have to check with the wife first”
4) Ideally, was made in a first world country.

It is remarkably difficult to find something that matches all that.

Then I remembered that FaTip is still a thing. Surfing around the web to see what I can come up with, I then found it is still possible to get the Schöne razor on Amazon with two day free delivery for $21. Easier and faster than ordering from the usual vendors. Schöne Shaving’s website is no more, which means the Schöne razor itself is likely out of production, but Alrossa still has nickel plated ones and I imagine is probably interested in being rid of them.

So I bought the Schöne razor in nickel and it arrived today. Presentation didn’t have much to say for itself. The sleeve around the top of the box was slid on upside down so I almost dropped it to the floor immediately because the inner box was upside down. No worries. It’s fine. No instructions, no anything. Just a shiny nickel razor in a box. Nothing wrong with the plating.

I shaved with it already. Proraso green cream, my green handled VDH boar I bought NOS awhile back, and a new GSB.

In this razor it is possible to load the blade crooked, and I did. Annoying. Took it out and did it more carefully the second time. Much better.

The shave was exactly what I wanted. Three pass BBS, no irritation, no issues on the tough parts of my beard. Found the angle immediately. Little blade noise or feel. Weight and balance didn’t get my attention at all one way or the other, so that was good. Proraso green splash went on painlessly.

It’s certainly no flawless artisan razor but it’s a keeper.

Congrats on the new razor and happy birthday! I have the Schone open comb razor for quite a while now and really like it. I like that it's made of nickel coated brass. I like that it's so cheap. I'm a little confused about the issue you had with loading the blade. The head has the center threaded post a swell as two bullet posts on either side of the center post. I find that there is very little room for the blade to move once it's situated on all three posts. As a result I have never had an issue with a misaligned blade. Maybe there are some quality control issues happening there. Otherwise, I love that razor. It looks good, shaves good and feels good in the hand. Shave on.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Maybe there are some quality control issues happening there.
That's exactly it. It's a rather known and discussed issue. It can totally be overcome with a little care when loading the blade. But some get frustrated or aren't willing. I think this razor would be more widely praised were it not for that. But those of us that have one, seem to really like them.

That's exactly it. It's a rather known and discussed issue. It can totally be overcome with a little care when loading the blade. But some get frustrated or aren't willing. I think this razor would be more widely praised were it not for that. But those of us that have one, seem to really like them.

Since they are made by Fatip, are similar issues seen with their own branded razors?

Since they are made by Fatip, are similar issues seen with their own branded razors?
Yes. I have a Fatip Piccolo which I love. But they require care with blade loading. I don't find it to be a big deal. I'm in the habit no of simply checking the alignment before getting the shave on.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yes. Also I've (no personal experience) seen it reported that this sometimes happens with the Joris/Plisson which are Fatips that Plisson gets, plates to a higher level and sells. It seems common as Plisson is doing some additional QA. They should at the price point those sell at, they are beautiful, but near $200.

Top Bottom