What's new

Hysteresis-Pull and Cut, with a DE?

Afternoon gents, I was just thinking about the multiblade razor's hysteresis claims.

I believe that when we make multiple passes that we are using the "lift and cut" technique. The first pass cuts the hair, but pulls it out slightly, then second pass cuts the hair at a lower level.

What do you guys thinks?

The hysteresis concept requires the 2nd blade to be immediately behind the 1st so that it slices the hair more before it retracts.

There's no hysteresis effect with DE shaving. We do gradual reduction. I think it's actually the hysteresis effect that for many DE shavers is the downside of cartridge shaving. It gives me an annoying tugging sensation. I feel more like I'm pulling and grinding rather than neatly slicing.

I believe it also is what leads to more ingrowns as the growing hairs emerge from their channel and can curl.

Afternoon gents, I was just thinking about the multiblade razor's hysteresis claims.

I believe that when we make multiple passes that we are using the "lift and cut" technique. The first pass cuts the hair, but pulls it out slightly, then second pass cuts the hair at a lower level.

What do you guys thinks?

I don't really think that is the case at all. I think with each pass we are cutting more and more until we cut flush with the skin. In fact I think this is why DE is better for many who suffer from ingrown hairs, because it does not pull or lift and cut like a cartridge which ultimately allows the sheered off whisker to actually lay below the surface of the skin. With a DE it is just cut flush.

Fair enough, I guess it depends on the retraction rate of hair, because even with the sharpest blades there will still be some "pull-out".

Fair enough, I guess it depends on the retraction rate of hair, because even with the sharpest blades there will still be some "pull-out".

Agreed I think that and the sharpness of the blade, the longer/harder it is to cut through the hair the more likely you are to get some pulling.

Are you saying that with a DE razor the first pass pulls the whisker out a bit, cuts it, and the whisker just sort of hangs out waiting for the next pass? I doubt it. I believe that the 3+ multiblade cartridges work on the principle of each blade cutting closer than the one before it.

I'm saying that as the blade cuts the whisker it pulls it out a little bit, like the first blade of a multi-blade razor. However after that it gets hazy, either the hair will retract before the next pass or it won't. If it does retract then we aren't "lift and cutting", if the hair doesn't retract, or retracts incompletely, then we are using hysteresis.

I'm saying that as the blade cuts the whisker it pulls it out a little bit, like the first blade of a multi-blade razor. However after that it gets hazy, either the hair will retract before the next pass or it won't. If it does retract then we aren't "lift and cutting", if the hair doesn't retract, or retracts incompletely, then we are using hysteresis.

As stated by the cartridge makers, and nicely summarized by Barry, the so-called "hysteresis" effect happens in nanoseconds, not minutes. According to the research upon which companies like Gillette spend millions, if not billions, of dollars, the hair that is pulled out by the first blade retracts immediately after being cut through, and is fully retracted in the blink of an eye. This is why spacing of the blades is crucial - the second or third blade must reach the hair shaft in that very short amount of time when the hair is still pulled out, or else the "lift and cut" action won't happen. That's the theory put out by Big Shaving, and since they were the ones who promulgated it in the first place, and since we don't have the equipment to confirm or refute it ourselves, all we can do is speculate.

Last edited:
As stated by the cartridge makers, and nicely summarized by Barry, the so-called "hysteresis" effect happens in nanoseconds, not minutes. According to the research upon which companies like Gillette spend millions, if not billions, of dollars, the hair that is pulled out by the first blade retracts immediately after being cut through, and is fully retracted in the blink of an eye. This is why spacing of the blades is crucial - the second or third blade must reach the hair shaft in that very short amount of time when the hair is still pulled out, or else the "lift and cut" action won't happen. That's the theory put out by Big Shaving, and since they were the ones who promulgated it in the first place, and since we don't have the equipment to confirm or refute it ourselves, all we can do is speculate.

That's Right.

Top Bottom