What's new

Hypermiling Blades

If your unwilling to learn the process of getting the most shaves out of your blades, and the Technique necessary to prolong blade life and improve shave quality. And you don't care to improve your face prep, and lather making ability then you likely will never be able to learn to use a blade beyond 3-10 shaves. It's all a matter of experimenting, adjusting, improving, and extending the use of a blade. I do 2 pass shaves on my full face. I have average beard density and above average hair thickness. I routinely use blades of almost any brand for 50 or more shaves. As I have developed my skill I have discovered that blade brand has very little impact on shave quality or blade duration. Do some blades work somewhat better or worse than other? Yes, but not by huge margins. There have been a few (two) blade brands from China) that were unusable for me. But I know that they likely were from a bad batch of blades rather than anything else because others have used them with much success.

But I do occasionally run across the rare "bad" blade in a tuck of blades where one edge has a burr or is misshapen so that it does not shave but that would be about two or three blades in my entire time of DE shaving.
Can everyone do extended blade use? No probably not. But many could if they simply applied themselves to learning the process and developing their skills.

I am almost dumbfounded by the attitude of some of the comments being made by some people here. This used to never be tolerated here at B&B. But it seems things have changed...
YMMV!

For the record, I'm kllowning™ around and I know guys with normal beards actually do shave 100+ times with 1 blade and 3 full passes. No idea how they manage it, but they do.

It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with hair thickness or any of that, it has Everything to do with TECHNIQUE and Prep.
Don't attack what you don't know or understand and you may learn something!
YMMV!
How can it not have anything to do with hair thickness? Back then I would use a Mach3 for I don't even know how long, I would just replace it after some months just so that I could enjoy using something new again. But, I do think that hair thickness is not as important a variable as prolonged exposure to high humidity for example. Anyway, I was just having fun with it, I wouldn't mind if someone said that my track record of maxing out 5 shaves is ridiculous, perhaps it is, at the end of the day who cares..

I get large numbers of shaves on blades, always have. Doesn't matter if they are multi-blade cartridges or DE blades, they all last quite a while.

What I have found from using DE blades is that I need to figure out the exact angle for each blade and razor that results in the least pulling after the PTFE coatings wear off. When I figure that out, the blade feels much the same for quite a few shaves, and as the sharpness drops off with use, I get completely irritation free, very close shaves.

Wet, slick lather, two passes with a few touchups, shower before shaving.

Before I starting "wet shaving" with soap and a brush, I shaved in the shower with just water for something like 40 years.

Experiment a little with shaving angle, you may find a shallow angle is both more comfortable and results in longer blade life. Very wet, slick lather also goes a long way toward making any shave more comfortable -- my rule is that I should only need to rinse the razor once per pass, any more than that and the lather is too dry.

...I am almost dumbfounded by the attitude of some of the comments being made by some people here. This used to never be tolerated here at B&B. But it seems things have changed...
YMMV!

You mean an opposing viewpoint? Just as with most subjective issues there are those who believe and those who don't. What I would like to see however is one of these "hyper" shavers to post photos of their actual unlathered beard to buttress their POV.

You mean an opposing viewpoint? Just as with most subjective issues there are those who believe and those who don't. What I would like to see however is one of these "hyper" shavers to post photos of their actual unlathered beard to buttress their POV.

Bless your little heart, it's not an opposing viewpoint when you are calling people liars. Frankly, I don't care what you'd like to see. I'm not collecting a circle of believers that will send donations.

B

Barney14

I get the feeling some of the hypermiling brigade have baby bum smooth faces before extensive preparation, blade care and strict adherence to the correct angle.

Its just geeky and odd to be corking, hand stropping and piddling around with razor blades like that.

Life's too short for all that

n
I get the feeling some of the hypermiling brigade have baby bum smooth faces before extensive preparation, blade care and strict adherence to the correct angle.

Its just geeky and odd to be corking, hand stropping and piddling around with razor blades like that.

I hate it when people create a false reality in their mind, and then criticize others based on this false reality. The naysayers have ruined what is one of the most interesting parts of B&B for me. Congratulations.

n

I hate it when people create a false reality in their mind, and then criticize others based on this false reality. The naysayers have ruined what is one of the most interesting parts of B&B for me. Congratulations.

Don't let these guys get you down. Do what works for you. I for one am very interested in this topic and enjoy hearing how people get extra life out of their blades.

B

Barney14

It's all about preparation and correct blade angle.
20191122_152533.jpg

48th shave using a Nacet

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it would be great if this thread could get back to hyper-miling advice ( something that has already been requested once ), which was the original intent , instead of whether one should or should not hypermile.

I have a 205 use Nacet blade that in a few weeks I should be resuming shaves with . Currently the most comfortable razor that I have that works with it is my timeless 68 open comb. That is a razor that is normally too aggressive for me .

I do three pass shaves and sometimes an extra touchup pass.

Extra buffing has been required since maybe use number 50.

I do virtually no prep work except a splash of water. But I do have very oily skin. Maybe that compensates somehow.

I do have a goatee, and think that maybe that comprises 10% of my face , and so if you want to reduce my 205 count by 10% , do that if it makes you feel better . But I also wear a size 8 hat and so I think that my actual shave area is comparable to your average guy.

I'm not saying everyone should hypermile , but I am glad to see that my efforts have shown people that they can get more blade uses than they were originally thinking. I'm really happy when a guy is able to go from three shaves to 15 on a blade. And especially pleased when someone discovers an area of smoothness past those first few shaves that they grow to enjoy.

But mostly I'm happy when somebody reports that they have improved their lathers and their technique because their inability to get many shaves from a blade has exposed those weaknesses.

however I will say that I imagine with all the face variables out there that there are some folks who legitimately will not be able to get more than a few shaves off of a blade. And that's fine, too.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it would be great if this thread could get back to hyper-miling advice ( something that has already been requested once ), which was the original intent , instead of whether one should or should not hypermile.

I have a 205 use Nacet blade that in a few weeks I should be resuming shaves with . Currently the most comfortable razor that I have that works with it is my timeless 68 open comb. That is a razor that is normally too aggressive for me .

I do virtually no prep work except a splash of water. But I do have very oily skin. Maybe that compensates somehow.

I do have a goatee, and think that maybe that comprises 10% of my face , and so if you want to reduce my 205 count by 10% , do that if it makes you feel better . But I also wear a size 8 hat and so I think that my actual shave area is comparable to your average guy.

I'm not saying everyone should hypermile , but I am glad to see that my efforts have shown people that they can get more blade uses than they were originally thinking. I'm really happy when a guy is able to go from three shaves to 15 on a blade. And especially pleased when someone discovers an area of smoothness past those first few shaves that they grow to enjoy.

But mostly I'm happy when somebody reports that they have improved their lathers and their technique because their inability to get many shaves from a blade has exposed those weaknesses.

however I will say that I imagine with all the face variables out there that there are some folks who legitimately will not be able to get more than a few shaves off of a blade. And that's fine, too.

Outstanding!

Shaving isn't a competition. I got into DE because it added an element of Zen to my morning. I was getting good shaves in the shower with a Bic disposable that I typically used until it started rusting. Even then I just got long use out of razors, but it doesn't make me a better shaver than anyone else. Just luck of the draw I imagine. I didn't need to start using DEs but it's fun and I enjoy it.

Some people want a simple shave, and some like to twiddle with the minutia of shave gear. More power to both camps. What works for you works for you and we aren't judging.

205 shaves on the Nacet is amazing.

My best is 36 and counting on an Astra SP.

Outstanding!

Shaving isn't a competition. I got into DE because it added an element of Zen to my morning. I was getting good shaves in the shower with a Bic disposable that I typically used until it started rusting. Even then I just got long use out of razors, but it doesn't make me a better shaver than anyone else. Just luck of the draw I imagine. I didn't need to start using DEs but it's fun and I enjoy it.

Some people want a simple shave, and some like to twiddle with the minutia of shave gear. More power to both camps. What works for you works for you and we aren't judging.
Hello everyone,

This is where I am at with this. I do DE razor shaving because I wanted to have a better experience with shaving. Started with an electric razor when I was young, went to a Gillette Fusion, then added Art of Shaving and a brush, then replaced the Fusion with a Merkur 34C, then down a huge rabbit hole now: 16 DE razors, most vintage Gillette now, way too many soaps and creams, a pre-shave creams routine, and a set of after-shaves I like. It for me is about learning and having a good morning routine. Last few days have been rough shaves, but that's part of my learning, and I am just as happy using a blade for 5 shaves, or getting the 10 I did out of the Platinum. Just like trying things with this great hobby and this great community.

Now back to suggestions about ways to hypermile a blade and your experiences with it. Thanks OP!

P.S. What are some soaps you like while hypermiling a blade? Or Pre-shaves? Thanks!

Hello everyone,

This is where I am at with this. I do DE razor shaving because I wanted to have a better experience with shaving. Started with an electric razor when I was young, went to a Gillette Fusion, then added Art of Shaving and a brush, then replaced the Fusion with a Merkur 34C, then down a huge rabbit hole now: 16 DE razors, most vintage Gillette now, way too many soaps and creams, a pre-shave creams routine, and a set of after-shaves I like. It for me is about learning and having a good morning routine. Last few days have been rough shaves, but that's part of my learning, and I am just as happy using a blade for 5 shaves, or getting the 10 I did out of the Platinum. Just like trying things with this great hobby and this great community.

Now back to suggestions about ways to hypermile a blade and your experiences with it. Thanks OP!

P.S. What are some soaps you like while hypermiling a blade? Or Pre-shaves? Thanks!

Yesterday, I put a drop of Dr. Bronner's on my brush and lathered my face. I probably could have used it to shave. Afterwards, I face lathered with Williams for a single pass shave. Although it was my 35th shave with the blade, it was one of the best ever. Today, I did the same thing without the Dr. Bronners, and the results were the same.

My only soap is Williams. I inadvertently hypermiled this puck with 226 shaves so far. There are maybe 20 left.

This right here is a perfect example of the stuff that used to never be tolerated at B&B.
Name calling, making ignorant assumptions, stereotyping, and the like. You would have lasted about 10 minutes on this site a few years ago.
But It's obvious that gentlemanly behavior is no longer a requirement for posting and communication. This has become another Shaveden site where the loudest mouth blow-hard wins.

That's also why I have lost interest in this site for the most part.
No one is interested in an exchange of information and a place of learning.

Hello everyone,

For the last few months I've made sure to lather my face in the shower with something. I have a couple pucks of Williams I've run through in there, but sometimes its just as simple as shampoo. I keep a cheap amazon $6 synthetic brush handy if I actually want to lather with it. It has seemed to make my shaves easier and comfortable, but because I don't really push most blades past about 15 or 16 shaves I'm not sure if it helps tremendously with longevity.

I've been trying to psych myself up to try to push a blade longer, and I may try that with the next Polsilver I unwrap.

Last edited:
Let's keep the discussion gentlemanly, please. You are entitled to your own opinion, but the rules of this board are that you express your opinions in a mature and gentlemanly manner.

Please be civil -- we are sadly lacking civility in so many ways in our current culture, we can at least maintain it here. Disagreement is fine, but please leave the snark and snide comments off your posts.

I don't visit many of the other shaving sites due to the distinct lack of civility, I'd hate to see this one go downhill.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Any hypermilers not using traditional shaving soaps or creams? For instance, shave oil, or a brushless shave butter?

Top Bottom