What's new

Hydrolast/Method Shaving Journal

I'm sorry I've been delinquient.

I had my second shave with the Hydrolast products on Friday morning. Slippery like before, I might have had a bit better on building the lather. Used the cloth to exfoliate a bit.

I shaved with Arko this morning (wanted my normal routine to be fresh in my mind...) and while the Hydrolast stuff is slippery and good... I don't know if it's over 35 times the price better than Arko. I guess I need some... persuasion to convince me otherwise... I can' execute an irritation free shave either way. I do think the aftershave conditioner is pretty darn good stuff, though.

I was thinking about giving it a go with the starter kit, but it seems to be a complicated process that is constantly evolving.

Has anyone tried any of the products in a traditional wet shaving fashion?

The mix seems very slick and in theory would work well...

Last edited:
.. it seems to be a complicated process that is constantly evolving...Has anyone tried any of the products in a traditional wet shaving fashion?

hydrolast products aren't that complicated, full-on method shaving is another story. as for traditional wet shaving, the only difference would be using hydrolast in place of traditional lather, then you "wetshave" as normal..

If you can get great shaves from Arko,that's awesome. I sure as heck wouldn't try to convince you to pay that much more for hydrolast. But, I don't try to convince anyone to use hydrolast even though I use it.

Sorry I drifted away. I've used the stuff a few times, but it's not nearly as simple and easy as Arko. It's more slick but there's a point of deminishing returns. I've used the aftershave balm more than anything if I think I might have irritated my face at all.

It's still sitting by my sink, maybe I'll give it another swing tonight? I'm starting to get bored with my DE and might be time to break out the straight again as well.

I'd be interested to see what happens if you just use the cloth with a puck of MWF and add some bog standard shaving oil

My Arko lathered up just dandy this morning, jiggly and all. :)

I wonder if the Hyrdolast just give a wider "sweet spot" so guys that are struggling find it easy to make something more shave-acceptable?
I'll shave sometime in the next few day swith the hydrolast stuff again and just use my brush.

My take on these method products is that they allow (require?) you to do 6 or 8 passes to get to the same place you can get with 2 or 3 passes using traditional (and much cheaper) products. Also, I can't relate to the jargon and the drill sergeant routine. I do get a kick out of watching the videos, but have no desire to join the cult -- I mean, club. :wink2:

Anybody know how this stuff does with really hard well water? I use distilled for my traditional lather because I got tired of fighting with making acceptable lather with my tap water. I can do it but it takes alot longer and my arm got tired.

Hi Jacob: I have been following your interesting posts about Hydrolast products,and Method Shaving. Thanks for your efforts and your honesty.

I think that you might have discontinued Hydrolast and Method Shaving ( MS ) too quickly. There is a learning curve, and having undertaken to learn the proper use of Hydrolast myself, I can say that one might have to use the products for 3-4 weeks in order to gain a full sense of how to use the Hydrolast products to maximum gain. Moreover, I also think that one's skin becomes accustomed to the use of various products, and that using Hydrolast for a few more weeks might have provided the time that your skin needed in order for MS to yield optimal results. Having urged you to try the Hydrolast for a few more weeks, it is nevertheless apparent that the proper use of many products and many blades and razors will provide fine results for many wet shavers. One of the more interesting aspects of shaving is indeed the experimentation that one can undertake in order to find the particular combination that works "best" for you. There will be those who will state the Hydrolast works great, and is a big improvement over what they had previously used. OTOH, there are those who will call Method Shavers part of an irrational group who simply have bought into a group of products and a method of shaving that for the critics appears to be too arcane. Opinions on both side of this particular coin tend to be extreme, and in some instances, are not based upon personal experience. You have spent hard earned funds to try products that some feel have considerable merit. Why not pick the products up again, use them exclusively for a few weeks ( using a Feather blade ), and let us know what you think. Would you consider using hot or warm water? If Hydrolast doesn't provide any benefit, so what? You have gained experience and broadened your knowledge. Well done!

Ed

My take on these method products is that they allow (require?) you to do 6 or 8 passes to get to the same place you can get with 2 or 3 passes using traditional (and much cheaper) products. Also, I can't relate to the jargon and the drill sergeant routine. I do get a kick out of watching the videos, but have no desire to join the cult -- I mean, club. :wink2:

I Method Shave probably 85% of the time, and I do three passes for a great shave every time. I definitely don't need 6 or 8 passes.

the videos were interesting. The number of passes is sort of mind boggling (and scary to me anyway).

Also makes me miss Billy Mays. Imagine the pitch he could have done shaving off that beard.

Hi Jacob: I have been following your interesting posts about Hydrolast products,and Method Shaving. Thanks for your efforts and your honesty.

I think that you might have discontinued Hydrolast and Method Shaving ( MS ) too quickly. There is a learning curve, and having undertaken to learn the proper use of Hydrolast myself, I can say that one might have to use the products for 3-4 weeks in order to gain a full sense of how to use the Hydrolast products to maximum gain. Moreover, I also think that one's skin becomes accustomed to the use of various products, and that using Hydrolast for a few more weeks might have provided the time that your skin needed in order for MS to yield optimal results. Having urged you to try the Hydrolast for a few more weeks, it is nevertheless apparent that the proper use of many products and many blades and razors will provide fine results for many wet shavers. One of the more interesting aspects of shaving is indeed the experimentation that one can undertake in order to find the particular combination that works "best" for you. There will be those who will state the Hydrolast works great, and is a big improvement over what they had previously used. OTOH, there are those who will call Method Shavers part of an irrational group who simply have bought into a group of products and a method of shaving that for the critics appears to be too arcane. Opinions on both side of this particular coin tend to be extreme, and in some instances, are not based upon personal experience. You have spent hard earned funds to try products that some feel have considerable merit. Why not pick the products up again, use them exclusively for a few weeks ( using a Feather blade ), and let us know what you think. Would you consider using hot or warm water? If Hydrolast doesn't provide any benefit, so what? You have gained experience and broadened your knowledge. Well done!

Ed

I just think Charles is a bit of an evil marketing genius - by developing his own pretty wacky way of shaving that uses only products that he makes and endorses he's created a new corner in the market that only his product can fill

I certainly agree that there is some truth in your statements. However, we might also agree that he is hardly evil! Smart, but not evil.

I would like to know how many Method Shavers who come to this thread actually shave as rapidly as Charles demonstrates on his videos. I would suspect that the vast majority of shavers using Hydrolast products shave at a normal pace ( perhpas a bit accelerated? ), and actually might not follow in lock step the "forms" that Charles recommends.

Let me add a few more comments that could be useful to those who want to use Hydrolast, and perhaps mix and match techniques and approaches. Indeed, I wonder if one might consider mixing method shaving and Hydrolast with a more traditional approach. For example: Complete the shave using whatever blade, razor, and soap/cream one desires. Then rinse off gently and lightly with warm water, and apply a thin film of cutting balm. When rubbing the balm into and onto ( note that the two words are not interchangable ) your just shaved face ( gently, finger tips ) one will probably note that there is a residual amount of soap that mixes into the balm and coats the face. One can then gently shave ( no pressure with the razor please! ) any residual rough areas using the balm-soap mix. Rinse. Apply a thin film of cutting balm, and gently rub in. Residual cream and soap will still come "out" ( not as easily seen ), and if one now gently rinses with 5-6 splashes of warm or even hot ( don't get burned )water and rubs the water around with the finger tips, such residual soap will be removed in the water rinse. The residual soap not removed can be responsible for altering the pH of the skin, and causing irritation. To conintue, on the very wet face, spray on a generous amount of aromatic tonic; enough so that the tonic is dripping off. A thin film of conditioner is rubbed in with the finger tips ( always gently gentlemen! ), and then more aromatic tonic sprayed on the face....again, the object is to have the face actually dripping wet. The oils in the tonic will attract the water and soluble oils in the conditioner, and will hydrate epidermis on the face. Leave your face wet while you clean up around the sink...allow most of the water to evaporate....you can lightly ( gently gentlemen! ) pat your face dry if you like, but not until after you have allowed some absorbtion of the water INTO ( again not onto ) your just shaved face. I would suggest waiting several minutes before patting dry. You will note a light gloss to the skin...a bit more glossy if you have shaved closer, but still glossy even if you did not use a Feather blade and remove every single whisker ( can become very compulsive if one isn't careful! ). Much of what I have posted can be found on the videos that Charles has posted, but perhaps not as succintly. I would NOT apply an alcoholic after shave directly on just shaved skin....the alcohol will sting, and will dry the skin-exactly what one does not want to happen. If you want to use an after shave with scent, then again follow the videos....apply to your hands, clap the hands, allow the alcohol to evaporate, then apply on top of the conditioner.

I'd be curious as to your comments after you try what I suggested. If you don't want to try, no sweat....everyone has their own preferences.
Ed

I certainly agree that there is some truth in your statements. However, we might also agree that he is hardly evil! Smart, but not evil.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Are you the latest alias for Charles, or does he have a staff?

Just curious as you only have two posts at B&B, but really seem experienced and vested in the Method way.

Top Bottom