What's new

Hydration

I've been doing more distance running in the last few months than I've ever done in my life. Most of my cardio work has been done on a bike so I've always had my water bottle handy. Now that I'm running longer distances with runs over an hour, I'm starting to need some fluids and it's only going to get worse as it gets hotter here.

I have a camelbak but I'm not comfortable running in it so I need another solution. Hydration belts, how are these things?

Additionally how much water or gatorade, etc should one being consuming on long runs? I'm lost as how much I should be drinking. What about Gu or other similar products?

Thanks all!

You have to figure out what works for you through a fair amount of trial and error. On longer runs I carry a 14 oz bottle on a belt that fits comfortably in the small of my back. I drink about every 2-2.5 miles. I have loops that go past grocery stores, churches, etc., where I can fill up if I need to.

Same thing with gu (I like power gel). You have to try it a few times to figure out how it affects you and when you should swallow it relative to when you drink--if I'm using it during a workout or race, I need to down a packet about 4-5 minutes before I drink.

Also, if you're doing a race, you should try to figure out what liquid product the race you're doing has at its stations in addition to water. If you can train with that product, you can figure out if it agrees with your system, how much you need, etc. I've learned that I'm good with just about anything as long as it isn't the fake orange flavored liquid, in which case I'll feel like hurling every time I drink it.

I'm not a runner, but I spend a fair bit of time in Yuma, Arizona where we have part of the family business. Some of that involves work outside - even in the summer. You'll often see Yuma as the hottest spot in the US and temperatures over 110 or sometimes 120 aren't uncommon.

I've tried all sorts of sports drinks over the years, but nothing beats plain water. You have to start drinking water shortly after getting out of bed and keep drinking throughout the day. If you get thirsty, it's already too late and you need to get inside and start rehydrating.

Sugared drinks and others with additives just don't work as well as water. You'll pay more and end up not feeling as good. If you want really good tasting water, I'd recommend getting a commercial tap filter or something like a Brita.

depending on where youre running you can go out ahead of time and stash a jug of gatorade somewhere along your route.

I'm in the same boat as I have only recently been distance running.

My running partner let me borrow one of his water bottles that you hold in your hand. It's a 20oz model from Ultimate Direction. The bottle is nice, but I don't like having the weight in my hand. I'm constantly having to switch it from hand to hand so my arms don't get tired over our 1 hour runs. My running partner says you get used to it after awhile, but right now I hate the extra weight. 20 oz. of water is too much for a 1 hour run, too.

I think I'll be going the water belt route since it frees up your hands. My only concern is that it will bounce around while running.

I've tried all sorts of sports drinks over the years, but nothing beats plain water.

That works for walking around in the sun, but if you're exercising you need to replenish salts and electrolytes as well. I think the rule of thumb was always drink water for workouts of less than an hour and a sports drink for anything longer than that.

I have a camelback 'fanny pack' that I use on my runs. It's better balanced than a water bottle at your waist and it keeps my arms free, plus has a keyring lanyard and places to stow an ipod, powerbar, id etc.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Instead of gatorade or the like, I would suggest pedialite. it is designed to fight dehydration, and is great for re-hydration during or post workout. I have a buddy that races motocross professionally and he swears by it.

stay away from sports drinks. Gatorade can cause major GI problems when distances increase and your stomach will take you out of any race. I've only used water and Thermalyte. Carbo pro works excellent too since it is great on the stomach and replenishes caloric intake on long hauls.

Also, it is going to matter on the individual person. As in shaving, not all products work alike and have reactions to certain individuals.

Here's the stuff that's in most pro's water bottles at endurance races even though their bottles may say something else.

Sports Quest They are excellent to deal with and are very friendly.

The Recovery drink has to be the best I've ever used and I've used a lot over the years.

+1 on Chris' Camelback fanny pack :001_smile...these are great for runs (long or otherwise)

-Robert

That works for walking around in the sun, but if you're exercising you need to replenish salts and electrolytes as well. I think the rule of thumb was always drink water for workouts of less than an hour and a sports drink for anything longer than that.

I have a camelback 'fanny pack' that I use on my runs. It's better balanced than a water bottle at your waist and it keeps my arms free, plus has a keyring lanyard and places to stow an ipod, powerbar, id etc.
proxy.php

Fuel Belts work wonderful. When I've used them, I measure each bottle to be used up by a certain distance. I knew how many calories was in each bottle and how much each bottle was suppose to last. They are very comfortable too and highly recommend.

Fuel Belts work wonderful. When I've used them, I measure each bottle to be used up by a certain distance. I knew how many calories was in each bottle and how much each bottle was suppose to last. They are very comfortable too and highly recommend.

I've not run much more than 5K yet, but my marathoner friend who helped get me into running swears by this thing, for the precise reasons listed by Mark.

Top Bottom