What's new

Hydrating balm to use after a splash?

My go to lately has been the ABC apricot hull, which I love. Limited scent and works great for my very dry skin. I tried AOS unscented balm, which I did not like and never use. I find the loccitane balm works amazing, very hydrating, but all 3 versions have a strong (yet pleasant) scent that clashes with the splash. Neutrogena hydro boost does not moisturize well for my skin.
Any other recs?

I use Stirling balm (I like bay rum) after a splash, or CeraVe moisturizer. They’re thick and could be considered greasy I suppose. I apply with wet hands or to wet skin to help absorption. The Stirling is the most pleasing balm from a shaving I’ve tried. Scent is fairly mild from the bay rum version.

My go to lately has been the ABC apricot hull, which I love. Limited scent and works great for my very dry skin. I tried AOS unscented balm, which I did not like and never use. I find the loccitane balm works amazing, very hydrating, but all 3 versions have a strong (yet pleasant) scent that clashes with the splash. Neutrogena hydro boost does not moisturize well for my skin.
Any other recs?
Nivea sensative is very good

St James of London have a simple but classy line of post shave balms.

1C91A712-D532-496A-9E71-3B931826A898.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to use CeraVe moisturizing lotion, it has Hyaluronic acid and 3 essential ceramides in it.
I used Nivea sensitive balm for years and it is good also and Nivea have come out with a new version with Hyaluronic acid also(have not tried it). The Nivea sensitive balm has a nice scent also.
Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg

have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I use Stirling balm (I like bay rum) after a splash, or CeraVe moisturizer. They’re thick and could be considered greasy I suppose. I apply with wet hands or to wet skin to help absorption. The Stirling is the most pleasing balm from a shaving I’ve tried. Scent is fairly mild from the bay rum version.

I second the Stirling, I use the unscented most of the time but enjoy Executive Man and Island Man when the mood strikes.

Complete overkill perhaps: I apply a splash of Thayer's Facial Tonic (rose petal) and immediately apply a pea size dollop of CerVePM. I then get dressed but before I put my shirt on, I apply aftershave splash.
I like to mix one pump of cerave and the AS splash of the day. Rub hands and everything goes together. I like it better than applying them separately.

Bang for Buck, it's hard to beat Nivea products. I just started using their "Maximum Hydration" and it seems to be pretty good.

On the pricier side I think Art of Shaving balms are very nice.

Neutrogena Hydro Boost. Expensive, but you only need a little bit. Apply it to a damp face or it can get a bit tacky. It's basically hyaluronic acid. Great stuff.

Nivea sensitive is also good, and inexpensive. In the winter, sometimes I'll use it after applying the Neutrogena.

I'll have to try the Cerave.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost. Expensive, but you only need a little bit. Apply it to a damp face or it can get a bit tacky. It's basically hyaluronic acid. Great stuff.

Nivea sensitive is also good, and inexpensive. In the winter, sometimes I'll use it after applying the Neutrogena.

I'll have to try the Cerave.

Excellent post. Many who use a hyaluronic acid, might not add enough water with the application thereof; which instead of hydrating the skin on the face will instead pull moisture from the skin on their face.

The skin on my face is pretty even tempered most of the year and usually the glycerin in a drugstore aftershave will suffice Tim the skin conditioning department.

But on those dry, bitter cold days after my shave and aftershave splash, I simply reach for a big ole bottle of a face & body lotion my wife keeps on the counter. It’s an all natural lotion with lots of botanicals and essential oils and hyaluronic acid.

After the shave and splash, I simply squirt a small dollop into one hand and then just wet the other hand under the faucet. Rub my two hands together and apply the wet lotion to my face & neck.

Keeps me from drying out like an old baseball mitt very well. :)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Proraso blue, green, and white aftershave milks/balms are outstanding. I used aftershave splashes for years, but I'm increasingly using a balm or CeraVe PM moisturizer and following it with a few sprays of a cologne or an eau de toilette in recent years. I have several Dunhill fragrances that were part of a gift set with a matching aftershave balm. Excellent quality balms. I have the "original" Dunhill for Men, as well as Custom and Century balms and cologne sprays.

I agree with the OP about the quality of the Antica Barbieria Colla aftershave milks. I've had the tabacco verde version and it was phenomenal. Too expensive for daily use, however. Tcheon Fung Sing was making a tabacco verde balm several years ago. I don't know if it's still available.

Top Bottom