What's new

Hyaluronic Acid Is Magic For My Post Shave Skin | It's A Game Changer

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've used HA for 16 months, a squirt after AS splash.

It hasn't exactly reversed aging, but I wasn't expecting that. Perhaps the lines haven't gotten worse.

I don't live in a dry place, just the opposite.

Believe in its science, but glycerin seems to work as well for me.

AA

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have some Hyaluronic acid and really did not notice a lot of significant change on a damp wet face while I was testing months ago and stopped using for some time.
For some reason I added only a (2 drops) to my Nivea balm for the last few days and really noticed a nice change in smoothness while just testing. There is a large change in face feel with Nivea balm that I have used for years.
Kind of early in the testing but it looks promising IMO if you have some HA not being used. I do not get my balms near my eyes for what ever reason. But the beard area there is a lot of hydration increase and a soft feel to the skin, thought it was worth noting.
View attachment 1300457

Agreed! I have been using Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid as my post shave balm for some time know and find it to be soothing and wonderful for my skin.

I give it a few minutes to soak in and then apply my aftershave splash and/or fragrance. :cool:

For the last two weeks I've been using The Ordinary HA + B5. It contains HA and Sodium Hyaluronate. With an equal mix of low, medium, and high molecular weight. My skin definitely looks and feels younger than when using the Instaskincare.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For the last two weeks I've been using The Ordinary HA + B5. It contains HA and Sodium Hyaluronate. With an equal mix of low, medium, and high molecular weight. My skin definitely looks and feels younger than when using the Instaskincare.

Where are you buying it?

I looked on Amazon but some reviews said their product was fake.

0.02% Hypochlorous Acid (HOCL) works as a general skin toner, anti-inflammatory and damage repair as well, particularly useful for acne-prone skin and razor bumps.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I searched a bit and found it in a local store, Ulta Beauty. Perhaps I'll find time to go there before too long.

While I very much like the brand I'm using (see the OP) I'm open to trying things.

BOSC.2.For Science.jpg

Happy shaves,

Jim

I searched a bit and found it in a local store, Ulta Beauty. Perhaps I'll find time to go there before too long.

While I very much like the brand I'm using (see the OP) I'm open to trying things.

View attachment 1301099

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'll be interested in how you find it. For me it's an added bonus not to go through Amazon -- I really do not like how they treat their employees. And I found the Ordinary more effective and more reasonably priced.

I now make my own HA+VitC+niacinamide serum.

I use low (8kda) and medium (800kda) molecular weight HA powders.

Amazing stuff! The way it softens the skin and plumps it up. It really improves the look and feel plus allows for better shaves since the skin is in good condition.

I use it at night before bed and sometimes after a bath (I shave before bath).

Just weighing in again. Since I’ve been using Hyaluronic Acid in my hair after washing, my scalp feels fabulous. I’ve got lots of thick hair and it isn’t conducive to getting a lot of fresh air and moisture. Since I started massaging HA into my scalp it definitely improved my whole head feeling. I also swear my hair is getting curlier like when I was younger.

I've been seeing a lot of SoTD pics with this in them. So I did some searching around and found this thread.

Haven't read it all. But enough to get me to place an order today.

Look forward to posting my results here, after I try it for a bit.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, Aug14th 2021, I have experimented with the HA over the months with my balm and it does make a difference IMO & have just started putting some in my hair conditioner and it is helping hair texture I believe.
I was not impressed at first with HA applying just applying raw HA juice.81zafpd-pAL._SL1500_.jpgHA seems to work better with skin and hair conditioners combined IMO.

Razor: Gillette Fatboy E4, MFG 1959 4th qtr, Excellent adjustable, I enjoy using this razor. Birth year razor also.
Blade: Gillette Astra Superior Stainless(6), Sharp & smooth with great longevity. Great results mostly with this blade.
Soap: Cyril R Salters Indian Sandalwood, love this scent, excellent lather qualities, good economics also.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm synthetic, excellent lather creator, heavenly like soft tips, gentle scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso Red sandalwood with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm with 2 drops of HA.
Results:
CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my Fatboy with a Astra SS blade.

SOTD, Aug 14th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I just got around to using it tonight for the 1st time.

Washed my face with some water. So it's damp. Then added 3 drops of HA to a splash of Thayers witch hazel and rubbed it all over my face, forehead and neck area.

Will keep using this on a daily basis and report back my results.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Does it matter if you add it to WH or moisturizer?

I use HA, then moisturizer, then a splash, with a bit of drying between products. Mostly.

Sometimes I use HA, then the splash, then the HA, with some drying.

Occasionally, I've skipped the drying time.

Numerous post shave products contain HA (but how much I don't know).

In other words I don't know the answer to your question. I encourage you to experiment and find out and tell us. My guess is the answer is no it doesn't matter (in any negative way).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Does it matter if you add it to WH or moisturizer?
I like to add a few drops to my dollop of Nivea balm, it seems to give even better results. I usually do not use it with my witch hazel, Witch hazel is a mild cleanser and I like to use it after I rinse residual soap off first with warm water then a cold water rinse applying WH to clean any excess oils followed with a dedicated dry wash cloth to wipe off WH & soap & oils. I seem to have oily skin and the W.H seems to be the correct balance for me I believe and my W.H has approx 14% alcohol to clean micro abrasions.
Balm and HA are the final applications most of the time & usually over my aftershave.
Seems to walk well for this old hide of mine.
Maybe their is a better way to apply HA but I have not found any that gives better results to what I'm receiving.

After I shave I mix about 1/2ml of HA with Thayers Witch Hazel as a splash. I have done this every shave for a year.

Weirdly, I haven’t had one single zit in a year. I don’t normally have acne issues but like most people, I would get one or two pimples here and there. Nada in a year.

Weird. Cool, but weird.

Top Bottom