What's new

Hyaluronic Acid Is Magic For My Post Shave Skin | It's A Game Changer

I've been using HA based on this thread for a couple of weeks now, and I can definitely feel the difference. My skin feels markedly smoother and looks hydrated, particularly my jaw line and forehead. I second Jim's recommendation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for this thread Jim, and for the heads up over in the FFFMM thread. Frank's Skin Food Splash is possibly the most miraculous aftershave I have run across, and another artisan I respect is about to release a Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Gel. Opinions of guys like these matter to me. Granted that scientific support of skin benefits is lacking, but so is evidence of adverse interactions or side effects. Bottom line for me is I’m in.

TBH my biggest concern – and this applies to any product - is whether the supply chain is tainted with SARS-CoV 2. However, the USPS is maintaining a Corona Virus page, and as of this afternoon’s update, they continue to cite the CDC and Surgeon General as stating there is no evidence that the virus is transmitted through the mail. Perhaps I’ll quarantine the parcel for 14 days. 😷

Yes, we have to be careful. There are several safe ways to go about it. One good one is the package quarantine method, I think.

I also use and love Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash. I'm almost out of it. Frank has said more is on the way, but I don't know the timetable, and, of course, much has been disrupted by the Wuhan virus.

DBSFS really helped my skin, but I seem okay without it as long as I use the Hyaluronic Acid daily post shave. I love the scent of DBSFS very very much. It may be my favorite splash scent; as much as I love Crown King Atomic Age Bay Rum, that's quite a statement for me to make.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I too am waiting for Frank's new product line to get released. I hadn't heard of HA until this post, thank you for bringing it to my attention. After reading this thread I went into the bathroom & looked at the bottle of product my wife just got yesterday. Yep, HA! I'll start trying it today.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've actually been throwing HA on after the AS. I've got a big bottle.

It's very interesting stuff!

AS

I'm wondering about a little mixed in with an alcohol aftershave splash. I put some glycerin in an aftershave once and used too much. It became a little tacky at times.

HA is wonderful for the skin As it has a great affinity for water. When you apply it make sure your skin is damp. Applied to bone dry skin it has nothing to bind to so make sure the skin has enough moisture for it to bind to. Finish after using HA with your balm or moisturizer to seal it in.

Yep... That's why I use CeraVe lotion. It goes on after the after-shave. Wonderful stuff if a bit pricey - but I haven't found anything else that even comes close to it for a post-shave balm.

I use the PM (non sunscreen version) twice a day. Never a need for a balm on shave days.

Yep... That's why I use CeraVe lotion. It goes on after the after-shave. Wonderful stuff if a bit pricey - but I haven't found anything else that even comes close to it for a post-shave balm.

It’s not nearly as pricey as some of the other products out there. I paid $40 for a 4oz bottle of face moisturizer at Ulta. When I got home I decided that I had temporarily gone insane. I ordered Cerave for $14 for 3 oz to replace it when I run out.

Interesting to see all the other CeraVe users. I started using two CeraVe products last November, their Salicylic Acid Cleanser and their SA Cream. Both list hyaluronic acid (HA) as a "key" ingredient. I started using them in the morning and/or evening as part of an overall skin regimen, but not directly connected with shaving. I eventually found that for me, the SA Cleanser did not seem to help as a preshave, but the SA Cream is an effective post shave balm and moisturizer. Judging from the brief burn, the SA Cream may also be an antiseptic (perhaps due to the salicylic acid?). CeraVe markets several lotions (I stopped counting at six), so I don't know which lotions are being used by shavers in this thread. I looked at two of them - the Facial Moisturizing Lotion and the Daily Moisturizing Lotion.

I am mainly interested in hyaluronic acid to see if it works better than the CeraVe products, but I also like that some HA products - including the one Jim uses - have short ingredient lists: Water, hyaluronic acid, and a tiny amount of preservative. In contrast, all four of the CeraVe products I mentioned have long ingredient lists, and two of the four contain parabens, which are controversial. I do not want to turn this thread into a debate about ingredient safety, and I don't plan to stop using cosmetics or soaps with several ingredients. However, it is a plus for me when I can at least pronounce the chemical name of every ingredient on the label. 🙂

Hyaluronic Acid is good. Sodium Hyaluronate is better since it’s a smaller molecule and penetration is better. Water retention is key to good skin health. Improving water retention and preventing its loss are keys. Dont forget to hydrate from the inside out as well by drinking lots of water.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hyaluronic Acid is good. Sodium Hyaluronate is better since it’s a smaller molecule and penetration is better. Water retention is key to good skin health. Improving water retention and preventing its loss are keys. Dont forget to hydrate from the inside out as well by drinking lots of water.

Thanks.

Not to argue, but the HA sinks in immediately. It would seem to me that better penetration wouldn't matter and would be marginal at best. I'm interested in your thoughts and any data.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks.

Not to argue, but the HA sinks in immediately. It would seem to me that better penetration wouldn't matter and would be marginal at best. I'm interested in your thoughts and any data.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I believe they all sink in and attract water...but the depth of penetration increases ( and therefore the depth in which the hydration is held) as the molecular size gets smaller. That can make a difference between holding moisture in the upper level of the skin or in the deeper levels. Check out companies like Skinceuticals, Skinmedica, or better yet ask Sri from Wholly Kaw as he includes the Sodium Hyaluronate cross polymer in his post shave toner.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I believe they all sink in and attract water...but the depth of penetration increases ( and therefore the depth in which the hydration is held) as the molecular size gets smaller. That can make a difference between holding moisture in the upper level of the skin or in the deeper levels. Check out companies like Skinceuticals, Skinmedica, or better yet ask Sri from Wholly Kaw as he includes the Sodium Hyaluronate cross polymer in his post shave toner.

A couple of questions and comments.
  • Have you used both?
  • If so, what differences have you yourself noticed as you've compared the products on your skin?
  • Do you know where to get Sodium Hyaluronate?
  • Are there any brands of SH you have used and like?
  • I not interested in products containing SH. Just SH.
  • I'm asking about products similar to the HA product I discussed and pictured in the OP, a product I've used a lot and come to really like.
  • Again, just trying to learn more. Not shooting down SH either in theory or practice as I know nothing about it other than what I've gathered from you in this thread.
Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

A quick Google search on “Hyaluronic Acid vs Sodium Hyaluronate” seemed to provide a ton of information to read up on.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A quick Google search on “Hyaluronic Acid vs Sodium Hyaluronate” seemed to provide a ton of information to read up on.

There is a lot to read. I read a good bit, but this might be the bottom line...

1586617260468.png

Or, not.

I used to be a chemist, but that was long ago. Now, I'm just talking about my experiences with my skin and my shaving.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom