What's new

Hyaluronic Acid Is Magic For My Post Shave Skin | It's A Game Changer

I'm mixing my own. I bought HA powder (selling as joint support) and use distilled water or rose water (hydrolate) recently to do my own HA serum. Works even better than store bought because I make fresh batch circa every 6 weeks and the powder will last me for years (for the price of 2 bottles of pre made store boight HA serum).

Interesting talks on this ingredient. I'll be trying it out myself and see if it has any effect on my skin. I normally have a dry skin so this might be useful.

After reading this thread with interest, I went on the makeup forums and researched HA.

Apparently you have to use moisturizer afterwards or it can actually hurt your skin

Banayan explains the hyaluronic acid needs to be combined with a water-loving lipid to truly hydrate the skin. If not applied in conjunction, the hyaluronic acid could actually be drying out your skin. Hyaluronic acid works by drawing moisture into the skin through its water-attracting (humectant) properties. But without a layer of moisturizer on top to act as a barrier (especially if your skin is already dry or you're in a climate with low humidity), the hyaluronic acid can actually draw moisture from your skin—hence the subsequent tightness.
Most shaving soaps these days are overloaded with multi moisturizing products. I really wouldn’t worry about post shave hyaluronic acid needing extra moisturizing. Remember where all this info comes from...cosmetic companies that want you to use and buy as many products as possible.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPGCremo.480.cropped.1-19..jpeg

I've been consistent of late with HA followed by Cremo Face Moisturizer, to my advantage I think.

Then, a splash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Isn’t there a chance the alcohol in many aftershaves would reduce the effect of H.A.?
That is possible, apply your aftershave first and then apply the HA after 30 seconds possibly to let Alcohol evaporate some.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is possible, apply your aftershave first and then apply the HA after 30 seconds possibly to let Alcohol evaporate some.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPGCremo.640.8-18.JPG

I do it this way in this order, beginning with post shave damp but not wet skin...
  1. HA
  2. Cremo Face Moisturizer
  3. splash
...waiting long enough between steps for the previous stuff to dry or almost dry (meaning a minute or two max).

Not saying my way is the right way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I use mine to trap the menthol from my aftershave and then add more with my aloe/witch hazel. Never been more cool 😎

Okay. This may be junk science, but lately I’ve been applying my hyaluronic acid after my shower, but before my shave and have been getting consistently good shaves. Very close BBS with with great post shave feel. No roughness or razor burn etc. I’ve been using completely different razors, blades, shave soaps each shave. I’m wondering if using this product pre plumps the skin and also makes it more amenable to the soap/cream properties.
Like I said, it could be junk science on my part. I could just be becoming a far better shaver than I was(I know I am), or all my razor, blade and soap combos are just flukey perfect combos.
My skin also feels softer and blemish free after shaving.
I am going to continue using the hyaluronic acid pre-shave until I have a string of horrid shaves that prove me wrong.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Okay. This may be junk science, but lately I’ve been applying my hyaluronic acid after my shower, but before my shave and have been getting consistently good shaves. Very close BBS with with great post shave feel. No roughness or razor burn etc. I’ve been using completely different razors, blades, shave soaps each shave. I’m wondering if using this product pre plumps the skin and also makes it more amenable to the soap/cream properties.
Like I said, it could be junk science on my part. I could just be becoming a far better shaver than I was(I know I am), or all my razor, blade and soap combos are just flukey perfect combos.
My skin also feels softer and blemish free after shaving.
I am going to continue using the hyaluronic acid pre-shave until I have a string of horrid shaves that prove me wrong.

BOSC.2.All experiments are encouraged.jpg

Cool!

Somebody said HA was a lather killer (I think they said that), but obviously it's not for you.

May I ask how long after applying HA you're lathering up, about? Is the HA dry or still slick when you lather? Are you getting your face wet with water before lathering it? How dry is your face when you apply the HA?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1135011

Cool!

Somebody said HA was a lather killer (I think they said that), but obviously it's not for you.

May I ask how long after applying HA you're lathering up, about? Is the HA dry or still slick when you lather? Are you getting your face wet with water before lathering it? How dry is your face when you apply the HA?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
I’ve been playing around a bit. The application is never minutes before shaving. Sometimes I’ll have a shower and treat my face with HA and then go for my morning hike. I may then shower again and then shave. Other times not so long. Perhaps shower and face scrub, treat with HA and get dressed and eat brealfast before I shave. I don’t think of it as a pre-shave as such, but a skin treatment that leaves your skin plumped and moisturizer before the shave rather than after. Since the HA is already settled into your skin, it can pull any extra moisturizing goodies from your shave soap if it feels the need to bond with more moisturizer.
Like I said, this is my own personal observance and may not hold any water scientifically...or....?

I had ordered some about two years ago and was impressed. However, then my wife found out about it and after she absconded with the second bottle I stopped ordering it :). She loves it too.

I'm mixing my own. I bought HA powder (selling as joint support) and use distilled water or rose water (hydrolate) recently to do my own HA serum. Works even better than store bought because I make fresh batch circa every 6 weeks and the powder will last me for years (for the price of 2 bottles of pre made store boight HA serum).

I'm thinking of doing this as well.

I know you can only keep fresh batches in the fridge for a few weeks without preservatives, but what about the pure powder?

Do you simply store the jar of powder in the fridge or freezer? How long would the powder remain good for?

Since you will dilute it to ~1%, a little goes a long way. Just want to make sure I can use it all before it goes bad :)

I'm thinking of doing this as well.

I know you can only keep fresh batches in the fridge for a few weeks without preservatives, but what about the pure powder?

Do you simply store the jar of powder in the fridge or freezer? How long would the powder remain good for?

Since you will dilute it to ~1%, a little goes a long way. Just want to make sure I can use it all before it goes bad :)
The more I thought about using this powder and mixing it up the more I like the idea l. The wife and I both are using this and if it might help my joints however that is it would be a plus to get the powder.
Where can we find the recipe for the powder? Thanks

I began using HA two days ago after seeing this thread. Had the best shave of my life this morning and my skin is looking better than it has in years. Kudos to OP and others for making the recommendation.

Top Bottom