What's new

Hyaluronic Acid Is Magic For My Post Shave Skin | It's A Game Changer

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Stopped by to say THANK YOU to Chan Eil Whiskers for bringing up this topic. My skin feels happier and looks better by a large margin since I started using hyaluronic acid. Definitely a game changer for me.

Same here! It's made a tremendous difference in the way my skin feels. It's really remarkable.

Me three! Thank you.

You gentlemen are most welcome. Most of the credit should go to Frank for mentioning hyaluronic acid to me in a conversation. I will take credit for perking up my ears, listening hard, doing some homework, looking on Amazon, clicking the buy button, and actually trying HA out. The rest of the credit goes to the product itself.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

It also pairs well with your favorite splashes.

I just had to tell you about it. It's way too great to keep to myself. Thank you, gentlemen, for the feedback. I figured it would help the skin of other guys, but in things like this one really never knows.

It really is a remarkable, and game changing product, and not just for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I also appreciate the introduction of this topic. Thought I'd try some and I am really impressed. I also found out that there were capsules designed for internal use (as a lubrication for joints). I have severe osteoarthritis and the only things that have kept me going were 2 ibuprofen in the morning and 2 qt night. When the begins to lose it's effectiveness, I switch to Advil. While searching hyaluronic acid on Amazon, I found a blend of Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulphate with hyaluronic acid. I jumped on that (I've tried the Glucosamine and Chrondroiton by themselves with no success). At this point, I haven't had an Advil or ibuprofen tablet in weeks. I take the prescribed 3 tablets and supplement it with 1 hyaluronic capsule. So far, this has worked amazingly well for me.

I used a toner, hyaluronic acid, then moisturizer in my post shower routine well before I got into wet shaving- which I discovered was the major element missing in my repertoire for a complete skin care program.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I also appreciate the introduction of this topic. Thought I'd try some and I am really impressed. I also found out that there were capsules designed for internal use (as a lubrication for joints). I have severe osteoarthritis and the only things that have kept me going were 2 ibuprofen in the morning and 2 qt night. When the begins to lose it's effectiveness, I switch to Advil. While searching hyaluronic acid on Amazon, I found a blend of Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulphate with hyaluronic acid. I jumped on that (I've tried the Glucosamine and Chrondroiton by themselves with no success). At this point, I haven't had an Advil or ibuprofen tablet in weeks. I take the prescribed 3 tablets and supplement it with 1 hyaluronic capsule. So far, this has worked amazingly well for me.

Could you say a bit more specifically exactly what you take. I'm quite interested in the ingestion of HA (as well as topical application like I've been doing). What are the prescribed three tablets? Which HA capsule?

I've read of ingesting HA for skin, too, but not tried it.

Obviously, most of this is not medical stuff at all, but simply messing around with readily available supplements and over the counter stuff.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Could you say a bit more specifically exactly what you take. I'm quite interested in the ingestion of HA (as well as topical application like I've been doing). What are the prescribed three tablets? Which HA capsule?

I've read of ingesting HA for skin, too, but not tried it.

Obviously, most of this is not medical stuff at all, but simply messing around with readily available supplements and over the counter stuff.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
OK Jim. These products were purchased from Amazon. The Hyaluronic Acid capsules brand name is Amazing Formulas, 100 mg. Only $13.99 for 120 capsules. I take one capsule daily. The product for my osteoarthritis is Solgar - Glucosamine Hyaluronic Acid Chondroitin MSM. 120 tablets for $39.74. I take 3 tablets daily. This product has worked well for me and is what has allowed me to cease taking NSAIDs (Alleve and ibuprofen). I'm not certain what the effect of the lone hyaluronic capsule is. When I read the claim that it helps lubricate joints, I figured I'd give it a try, but it's also in the osteoarthritic supplement a well.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
OK Jim. These products were purchased from Amazon. The Hyaluronic Acid capsules brand name is Amazing Formulas, 100 mg. Only $13.99 for 120 capsules. I take one capsule daily. The product for my osteoarthritis is Solgar - Glucosamine Hyaluronic Acid Chondroitin MSM. 120 tablets for $39.74. I take 3 tablets daily. This product has worked well for me and is what has allowed me to cease taking NSAIDs (Alleve and ibuprofen). I'm not certain what the effect of the lone hyaluronic capsule is. When I read the claim that it helps lubricate joints, I figured I'd give it a try, but it's also in the osteoarthritic supplement a well.

Thank you very much.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Interesting Thread, I have been using CeraVe hand bar soap for last 7-8 months and have nothing but good things to say. It is a gentle cleanser that I use for mostly cleaning my eye area because I suffer from bouts of dry eye certain times of the year. I found that if I brush wash my whole face it actual softens and cleans my whiskers also and makes shaving easier. I'm still on my same bar of soap because it is amazing what a shaving brush will lather this soap up like (you need very little )and it feels good and I have not had any issues with dry eye either. If you have not washed your whole face with a soft shave brush you are missing a very enjoyable experience with no soap burn to the eyes and a healthy face feel IMO. This Soap also has Hyaluronic acid in it's formula.

CeraVe 2 (2).jpg
CeraVe 3 (2).jpg

I brush wash my whole face with this stuff and enjoy it. They claim amazing good results that I agree with!
CeraVe 1 (2).jpg

Ingredients list, not sure about all these different chemicals but the soap is gentle to my face. Hydrating the whiskers is important for close shave.
Have some great shaves!

Thanks for the 411 @Ron R. I started out last fall using the CeraVe SA Facial Cleanser and SA Cream. I recently added the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser and Moisturizing Cream specifically for pre- and post-shave respectively.

After reading your post and checking out the price and reviews on Amazon, I decided to grab a pack of the Hydrating Cleanser Bars. I figure that hand washing has sadly become a new national pastime, :sad: so even if the Cleanser Bars do not bump one of the other skin care products, they (the Bars) are likely going to be useful. Obviously, it is critically important these days to keep the skin clean and intact, especially on the hands. Plus these bars are cheap enough that I can set them out by different sinks without thinking twice about the price. -- Thanks again.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Anyone used it as a preshave as it's so good for hydration?
That is exactly what I do with the CeraVe hand bar soap, I believe it cleans the Skin & whiskers and preps it for the soap also. This is a normal routine for myself in the morning shave.

SOTD, Friday April 17th 2020

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant -MFG 2017> takes some skill with a light touch with good results!
Blade : Voskhod (6) seems to work excellent with the Wunderbar.
Soap: Tabac- I like this soap but others seem to shy from the scent. :001_tt2:
Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle- one of my favorites!
Pre shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + clean up.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea Men balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:great shave and hit my sweet spot target!

SOTD, April 17th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have been buying topical Hyaluronic Acid from Piping Rock for a year or so. I use it directly after shaving when my skin is most receptive to beneficial application and in need of hydration. I apply it to damp skin (HA drinks water), let it absorb for a minute or two, apply aftershave and a men's face cream with SPF.
Very happy with the results.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Anyone used it as a preshave as it's so good for hydration?
I'm experimenting with using CeraVe Moisturizing Cream (which I use as an AS balm) as a pre-shave. I first wet my beard, then rub in a small amount of CeraVe. Seems to add slickness, but it appears to be a lather killer. Will report any further developments if I continue.

That said, and after reading these posts, I'm also tempted to try CeraVe bar soap as a pre-shave. Good line of products.

You guys got me a bit curious so this statement (quoted below) is true for general chemistry but it may not be quite true for skin penetration of topicals. The original OP likely got the MW statement from this:

The statement in the link with regards to MW definitely NOT true because the free "acid" and the dissociated acid from the salt have the same MW.

So... how to reconcile. My guess is salt forms at (relatively) high concentrations as a topical may actually have better skin penetration because the sodium does actually stay reasonably associated with the acid, so the charge pairing allows for skin penetration. You can see that here (for a different acid) but the arguments would be the same:

My guess is someone explained this to the dermatologist as something like a "size of the molecule" being smaller so it can penetrate deeper - which is sort of true in the because the sodium is "shielding" acid but not really the MW.

Now that said this may not really apply to HA (it would depend on the dilution etc) so I am speculating but not totally implausible..

Avi

There is a lot to read. I read a good bit, but this might be the bottom line...

View attachment 1085428

Or, not.

I used to be a chemist, but that was long ago. Now, I'm just talking about my experiences with my skin and my shaving.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom