What's new

Husband Birthday Gift Help

He is very lucky to have such a beautiful and thoughtful wife. To have joined here to post this question makes me understand he has been truly blessed to have found you.

Based on his not shaving every day, and (if I read you correctly) not being a "hobbyist" shaver like most of us here, I second McBlade's suggestion about getting a synthetic. I think spending up to $200 on a shaving brush for a guy who may or may not be "really into this" is a big gamble.

On the other hand, he does like to bowl lather, so he's not using stuff out of a can. That's good. That brush you posted is a badger, so I would not get him a second one just yet, and boars take a while to break in and he may not have the interest or patience. @McBlade is on the right track, I think.

Instead of spending a big $ amount on another badger brush, may I suggest you get him several items instead?

Maybe a more reasonably priced synthetic brush?

proxy.php

A unique shaving lather bowl?

proxy.php

And a cream or soap or two?

Reply here and tell us what razor he uses, what lather products, what scents he likes. We can better guide you then. I applaud you for wanting to splurge on a nice brush for him, but depending on how much he is into this, that may not be the best use of your funds. I know we'd all like to help. For the price of the brush you are contemplating, you could get him quite the gift basket, I think.

Interestly, I was eying a Muhle silvertip (not the fiber version) before I started down this rabbit hole.
He uses a stainless steel safety razor but I cannot tell brand.
I’m not sure scent. I am particularly sensitive to scents since our 2 under 2 daughters and his soap is unscented.

I second shopping at Captain’s Choice. He has some excellent brushes and he has the ultimate in shaving luxury, a shave scuttle. The shaving scuttle has an inner chamber that you fill with hot water and it keeps your lather warm for the duration of your shave. Shaving Nirvana!
I just saw the scuttle! Excellent suggestion. I will have to jump on that once in stock!

My understanding is that 24mm is a very popular size so my suggestion is to go with that. I concur with @McBlade regarding synthetic brushes - there are some very good ones out there. Look at Shavemac brushes, they are highly regarded. Look at the vendor stores right here on the forum. Paladin is top rate although I believe his are 26mm only which is fine. Rudy Vey is a highly regarded craftsman and a long time vendor here.

Here is a suggestion - see how your hubby holds the brush. For instance, the brush in the picture is often held differently than the Chubby mentioned that is made by Simpson. Myself, if holding a Simpson it is by my fingertips which is why I don't own any of them. I like to curl my index finger around the base of the brush and the one it the picture is ideal for that.

Lastly, you may want to consider color - there are some wild and bright colors and others more timeless like the one pictured and black.

Hope that helps. You will get a lot of good feedback here - good call to join up and post a question like you did.

Below are some pictures I just found on the BST here (Buy, Sell, Trade) to give you an idea on handle shapes and colors. Crazy colors out there, right?

~ The Captain

View attachment 1351655View attachment 1351654

Wonderfully advise. I will have to peek next shave. I am absolutely getting him the shave scuttle when back in stock.

He has traditional/conservative tastes and likes items he feels he can keep for 10+ years, no matter the category.

A gentleman with large hands (my husband does as well) mentioned the different/longer handle shape being preferred so I will start down that rabbit hole next as well.

Interestly, I was eying a Muhle silvertip (not the fiber version) before I started down this rabbit hole.
He uses a stainless steel safety razor but I cannot tell brand.
I’m not sure scent. I am particularly sensitive to scents since our 2 under 2 daughters and his soap is unscented.
southern witchcrafts makes unscented Incorporeal Vegan Shave Soap, oh the lather is so good even better coming out of a hot scuttle, so delightful.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
oh yeah, mug vs bowl is a personal preference. I prefer a bowl because there’s more room to swirl the brush, and can usually handle larger soaps. The stone bowl from the @JCinPA post would be amazing. I personally use an old Army Medical Corp bowl.

91900176-8AEF-4479-AB77-0E649EBF5D44.jpeg

Reactions: LTD
I'm 6'1" with big hands and had a brush shaped like the one he has and didn't like it's shape but it was my 1st brush and I used it for FIVE YEARS, So my vote is for a Rubberset 400 it's such a well loved shape that there is that least three companys making clones, so you got the alpha shaving t-400, the apshaveco ap 400 series or the razorock 400. the alpha shaving comes with a sliver tip but his brush is already a slivertip so I would go with the ap 400 with that 24mm g5a shd synthetic knot having them set it at 52mm loft or maybe synthetic timber wolf or tuxedo knot to join and not supplant the current brush. it's nice to have variety.
you could also find out his favorite color then go on to elite razor or etsy and get one from one that fits the bill, tons of options. people like certain shapes and knot sizes so there is indeed a lot of preference.
A different route could be get a soap and matching after shave splash, I love the lather and scent of southern witchcrafts products and I have my partner to thank, for she did indeed get me a soap sampler from them for my birthday.
and there's always a big blade sampler pack that way he's got to try them all and be turned connoisseur.
they'll never get my old rubberset 400!!
That design would be too modern for him. Would a longer handle be reasonable on its own? Thinking perhaps a N7 Super Badger for a backbone in between Manchurian and Silvertip or PL8? *I have decided to get the Captains Choice scuttle as well.

Thinking the M7

He's a big guy. A 24mm brush may be a bit small for him. He already has a badger brush. Getting him another badger, even one in the $200 range, is going to give improvements that are merely incremental.

I would recommend a synthetic in the 26-28mm range, for improved lather flow through. I would also recommend a lather bowl, though my experience with marble is that as a porous stone it doesn't retain heat well. A scuttle may be a better option if you're in a colder area.

Is it possible to post a picture of his razor here? You may be able to give him a new handle for large hands.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Lol. I think you can see the trouble with coming here for advice, :lol: you’re gonna get about 6 pages of suggestions. Many great ones, though.

The one you DO NOT want to follow is getting him a straight razor. Let him choose that rabbit hole, NOT appropriate for a gift.

Loved the photo. You are a good-looking couple. He is lucky to have someone as beautiful and thoughtful as you. Some good suggestions above. As said above, now that you have 200 different suggestions I will add mine!

First, I would agree with a custom brush from Rudy Vey. He can configure a brush any way you want and it will be within your budget. Here is one he recently made for me and it would be within your budget.
Rudy Vey Silvertip.jpg

Another suggestion is for a copper shaving bowl from Captain's Choice. I love mine.

proxy.php

He's a big guy. A 24mm brush may be a bit small for him. He already has a badger brush. Getting him another badger, even one in the $200 range, is going to give improvements that are merely incremental.

I would recommend a synthetic in the 26-28mm range, for improved lather flow through. I would also recommend a lather bowl, though my experience with marble is that as a porous stone it doesn't retain heat well. A scuttle may be a better option if you're in a colder area.

Is it possible to post a picture of his razor here? You may be able to give him a new handle for large hands.
411FEF2B-6461-4116-9E16-370ACDC1B713.jpeg

Attachments

• 51E400A7-6FD2-407A-8302-9167D3AC2053.jpeg
    51E400A7-6FD2-407A-8302-9167D3AC2053.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 13

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@LTD - Welcome to B&B.

I'll cast another vote for @Rudy Vey.

I am 6'3" and have large hands. Rudy will craft an appropriate handle with a great Shavemac knot (I prefer the 2-band Silvertip Fan) that I'm sure your husband will treasure.

Here are a couple of my Rudy Vey brushes sporting Shavemac Badger knots:

20211017_114512~2.jpg20211004_141741~2.jpg20211024_115955~2.jpg20210911_161549~2.jpg20210904_110715~2.jpg
All of these brushes are great for face lathering and bowl lathering. :)

Hope this helps. :)

@LTD - Welcome to B&B.

I'll cast another vote for @Rudy Vey.

I am 6'3" and have large hands. Rudy will craft an appropriate handle with a great Shavemac knot (I prefer the 2-band Silvertip Fan) that I'm sure your husband will treasure.

Here are a couple of my Rudy Vey brushes sporting Shavemac Badger knots:

View attachment 1352395View attachment 1352396View attachment 1352397View attachment 1352404View attachment 1352405
All of these brushes are great for face lathering and bowl lathering. :)

Hope this helps. :)
Thank you!

Top Bottom