What's new

Husband Birthday Gift Help

0689139D-C1F1-4F2E-8F65-69B48C27B965.jpeg
Hello. I am seeking a new shaving brush for my husband. From the copious amounts of reading I have done, I am leaning towards a Manchurian, Chubby, or a Thayer 2 band Silvertip. But since I’m sure his response would be “oh, thank you” as he isn’t a shave connoisseur, I was hoping to stay under $200. I do know he would diligently care for whatever I get for ages to come so any ideas within reason of that are welcomed. He usually shaves his face every third day. Thinking +/- 25mm as well. I know there is a TON of personal preference but looking for something that will be a slam dunk.
Pic of his current brush and him fore reference (he is 6’4 if that helps). Also wondering about mug vs bowl (he uses a mug now). I was shocked by the amount of options and look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

I'm not a fan of badger. IMO the best modern brushes are synthetics. A 24mm cashmere from the AP Shave Company would be my first choice. Plenty left in the budget for a really nice men's cologne which you like ;)

Reactions: LTD
My understanding is that 24mm is a very popular size so my suggestion is to go with that. I concur with @McBlade regarding synthetic brushes - there are some very good ones out there. Look at Shavemac brushes, they are highly regarded. Look at the vendor stores right here on the forum. Paladin is top rate although I believe his are 26mm only which is fine. Rudy Vey is a highly regarded craftsman and a long time vendor here.

Here is a suggestion - see how your hubby holds the brush. For instance, the brush in the picture is often held differently than the Chubby mentioned that is made by Simpson. Myself, if holding a Simpson it is by my fingertips which is why I don't own any of them. I like to curl my index finger around the base of the brush and the one it the picture is ideal for that.

Lastly, you may want to consider color - there are some wild and bright colors and others more timeless like the one pictured and black.

Hope that helps. You will get a lot of good feedback here - good call to join up and post a question like you did.

Below are some pictures I just found on the BST here (Buy, Sell, Trade) to give you an idea on handle shapes and colors. Crazy colors out there, right?

~ The Captain

IMG-0519.jpg
IMG-0518.jpg

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
He is very lucky to have such a beautiful and thoughtful wife. To have joined here to post this question makes me understand he has been truly blessed to have found you.

Based on his not shaving every day, and (if I read you correctly) not being a "hobbyist" shaver like most of us here, I second McBlade's suggestion about getting a synthetic. I think spending up to $200 on a shaving brush for a guy who may or may not be "really into this" is a big gamble.

On the other hand, he does like to bowl lather, so he's not using stuff out of a can. That's good. That brush you posted is a badger, so I would not get him a second one just yet, and boars take a while to break in and he may not have the interest or patience. @McBlade is on the right track, I think.

Instead of spending a big $ amount on another badger brush, may I suggest you get him several items instead?

Maybe a more reasonably priced synthetic brush?

proxy.php

A unique shaving lather bowl?

proxy.php

And a cream or soap or two?

Reply here and tell us what razor he uses, what lather products, what scents he likes. We can better guide you then. I applaud you for wanting to splurge on a nice brush for him, but depending on how much he is into this, that may not be the best use of your funds. I know we'd all like to help. For the price of the brush you are contemplating, you could get him quite the gift basket, I think.

I'm not familiar with those brushes, but I really like my Semogue Owners Club in finest badger and cherry wood. It's a gorgeous 24mm badger brush with some good backbone. Best of all, it's less expensive than the brushes you're considering so you can also get him a lather bowl.

I was initially a face latherer then I tried mug lathering for a while, but the clanking irritated me (I like the calm of a quiet shave). I eventually tried bowl lathering with a Captain's Choice Seaworthy (ceramic) lather bowl. It's one of the best decisions I made!

If you want a bowl that will last a while and also looks impressive, you may want to consider one of the Captain's Choice copper bowls, especially the new Obsidian bowls.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is very sweet of you. Lol, tell him how blessed he is to have you, @LTD !

I will tell you what the good captain never would: go visit his on line store. Just Google "Captain's choice"..... You'll thank me. His ceramics are second to none, his soaps and fragrances are top of the heap too.

It's nice to make your acquaintance. Now, make your husband join B and B too! Lots of nice Gents on here.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
He is very lucky to have such a beautiful and thoughtful wife. To have joined here to post this question makes me understand he has been truly blessed to have found you.

Reply here and tell us what razor he uses, what lather products, what scents he likes. We can better guide you then.

For the price of the brush you are contemplating, you could get him quite the gift basket, I think.
Amen.

HIGHLY recommend a Captain's Choice lathering bowl for sure. Copper is excellent, or pick his/your favorite color in ceramic. He has a beautiful synthetic brush for sale too on his website.

I second shopping at Captain’s Choice. He has some excellent brushes and he has the ultimate in shaving luxury, a shave scuttle. The shaving scuttle has an inner chamber that you fill with hot water and it keeps your lather warm for the duration of your shave. Shaving Nirvana!

Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger.
Acqua di Parma Shave Cream.

Slam dunk. Smashed the backboard. Game over. Won the finals!

This guy clearly has magnificent taste and is far too classy and discerning for any kind of synthetic. In all honesty it would be a step backwards from his current brush. No good.

Straight razor for Christmas, strop in the stocking, all set for another year.

0425AA79-9558-47A2-A9EB-2014B2A0F8BF.jpeg

I think Captains Choice would be the right choice as aforementioned. Quality products from good people. I think you'll really enjoy some of the scents, I know my better half does. Welcome to B&B and best of luck with the many choices. I am excited to hear about what direction you ended up taking. Happy birthday to the lucky fellow!

I'm 6'1" with big hands and had a brush shaped like the one he has and didn't like it's shape but it was my 1st brush and I used it for FIVE YEARS, So my vote is for a Rubberset 400 it's such a well loved shape that there is that least three companys making clones, so you got the alpha shaving t-400, the apshaveco ap 400 series or the razorock 400. the alpha shaving comes with a sliver tip but his brush is already a slivertip so I would go with the ap 400 with that 24mm g5a shd synthetic knot having them set it at 52mm loft or maybe synthetic timber wolf or tuxedo knot to join and not supplant the current brush. it's nice to have variety.
you could also find out his favorite color then go on to elite razor or etsy and get one from one that fits the bill, tons of options. people like certain shapes and knot sizes so there is indeed a lot of preference.
A different route could be get a soap and matching after shave splash, I love the lather and scent of southern witchcrafts products and I have my partner to thank, for she did indeed get me a soap sampler from them for my birthday.
and there's always a big blade sampler pack that way he's got to try them all and be turned connoisseur.
they'll never get my old rubberset 400!!

Attachments

• DSCF9524.JPG
    DSCF9524.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My understanding is that 24mm is a very popular size so my suggestion is to go with that. I concur with @McBlade regarding synthetic brushes - there are some very good ones out there. Look at Shavemac brushes, they are highly regarded. Look at the vendor stores right here on the forum. Paladin is top rate although I believe his are 26mm only which is fine. Rudy Vey is a highly regarded craftsman and a long time vendor here.

Here is a suggestion - see how your hubby holds the brush. For instance, the brush in the picture is often held differently than the Chubby mentioned that is made by Simpson. Myself, if holding a Simpson it is by my fingertips which is why I don't own any of them. I like to curl my index finger around the base of the brush and the one it the picture is ideal for that.

Lastly, you may want to consider color - there are some wild and bright colors and others more timeless like the one pictured and black.

Hope that helps. You will get a lot of good feedback here - good call to join up and post a question like you did.

Below are some pictures I just found on the BST here (Buy, Sell, Trade) to give you an idea on handle shapes and colors. Crazy colors out there, right?

~ The Captain

View attachment 1351655View attachment 1351654
Those are lovely! I had a couple gorgeous handles that I would have picked as well but he is very conservative in taste and abhors change, part of what makes it hard to buy for him, and why I am merely trying to get a nicer version of what he already has. Frankly, we generally don’t do gifts and instead will do home improvement projects etc. The first gift I purchased for his birthday back when dating was a 5oz hand stamped bar of Troy silver. It was stamped with a Viking wielding a battle axe. We have only done a couple gifts since.

Top Bottom