What's new

Hurricanes and Diabetics

Gents, I posted this at SMF, and feel the need to post it here as well:

I know there are a few diabetics here, myself included. Not long ago we teased "Gramps" about looking like Wilford Brimley and joked about Liberty Medical. The only magazine I actually subscribe to is Diabetes Health. Here is an email I received from them today:

"Hurricane Katrina
How Can I Help?

By Adrian Al-Samarrie

Hurricane Katrina is being called the worst natural disaster to hit the United States since the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906. Thousands of people were left stranded without adequate food, shelter, water, and medical supplies. Many of these people were diabetics who are now forced to struggle with unspeakable conditions and a lack of medical supplies necessary for the control of their diabetes.

Many major pharmaceutical companies have already made contributions of money and diabetes supplies to the relief effort. One of our columnists and international diabetes advocate, Nicole Johnson-Baker, has played a big part in the relief effort by helping to form a coalition of companies that donated diabetes supplies.

Many generous supporters of this coalition include, Eli Lilly, Liberty Medical, Novo Nordisk, Aventis, dLife, Children with Diabetes, and Insulin for Life.

If you would like to make a donation to the relief effort, visit Children with Diabetes at www.childrenwithdiabetes.com, or the American Red Cross foundation at www.redcross.org. All donations are tax-deductible."

Regardless of where or how you contribute, please do something. My cousin received minor damage to her house. Her parents lost everything.

So please donate. Whether it is for diabetes, cancer patients, whatever, we all spend more on shaving supplies than we should. Surely we can all afford to donate the cost of a tub of Taylors!

I've made my humble contribution. Even if it is just one dollar, if everyone would put in just a little bit, it would go a long way! This was not just a storm, it was a storm that will alter history and lives forever.

PS: We know that Randy (rschul2) has immediate family effected by this storm. Consider contacting Randy and see if you can donate directly to his family.

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
PS: We know that Randy (rschul2) has immediate family effected by this storm. Consider contacting Randy and see if you can donate directly to his family.

Randy
Yes, while it is true that my family has lost everything due to Katrina..We have not lost our spirit. Everyone has made it out alive. We are managing. It is tough, but there are thousands who did not fare as well as we have. Everyone has a roof over their ahead, albeit temporary, but still a roof. Unfortunately, my father who is a Chief on the New Orleans Fire Department is still in the city. He says it is disastrous. Nothing 35 years on the fire dept could have ever prepared him for the total devastation he has witnessed. Please donate to the Red Cross and other charities. There are others who need the help much more than my family. Many thanks to all who have expressed words of encouragement. My family will survive, but at this point I can't say that for other families. Please help donate anything you can afford to the relief effort. I've seen the city as I have been there as a scientist to collect and test the waters. It is 1 million times worse than anything you have seen on the news or in papers/magazines. May God have mercy on the souls of everyone effected in the Gulf Coast Region.

Top Bottom