What's new

Hurricane Ida

Update to Evacuation, 2021: My usual groceries and gas stations are apparently open and serving customers. The power company trumpets that "the vast majority of" customers in my area will have power by 9/8. We'll see what we see. I may make a reservation with a pet-friendly hotel near the city before I drive down again. If the power is not on, I'll have a bolthole. If it is, I can cancel the reservation. It'll be worth it to me even if I have to pay a fee for that.

In the meantime, though, my older cat is not doing well. He's been hiding since the drive up and is not eating as he should, and when he does come out to drink and use the litter box, he is walking like he's dazed. I'll call a local vet, one who treated another cat of mine in '08, and see if I can get him in today.

. . . I was in the Newark NJ office and accepted a special assignment to New Orleans. I was supposed to try a case that was supposed to last one week. When I got there for trial preparation I realized that with the number of witnesses and legal issues this case would last a lot longer than one week. I was given a per diem for food and lodging but the expense of the hotels would eat up most of the per diem. As a result, I asked around and was given a number of places that rented out rooms.

I went to one of these homes and met a delightful lady who was glad to rent me a room. Since this was late June there was only one other guest in the house. The cost per week would amount to what the hotel costs me for a day. I relocated there in July. . . .

I enjoyed my stay in New Orleans. Everything was so different from life in NJ. At about 4:30 a.m. I would walk to a health club. On my way to the club, I would pass bars that were open and could see folks there drinking in the early a.m.

I tried many different foods for the first time. I recall in one restaurant I had the crawfish sampler. That dish started off with a crawfish cocktail, followed by a soup that had crawfish in it among other fish, and the main course that featured crawfish in a number of ways.

I was in New Orleans for over 90 days in short periods that went from late June to early November. The only thing I did not like was the high humidity. Fortunately, there were no hurricanes or bad storms when I was there. . . .
When were you there? And do you remember what area the home was in where you stayed, or the street it was on?

Crawfish. The state animal of Lousy-ana. You know the story of the old sailor who, when he retired, he took an oar and marched inland? When he found a place, he said, where people did not know what an oar was for, he was going to settle there. In my case it'll be a pic of a crawfish.

Local (peering at pic): "What the hell is that thing?"
Me: "How are property prices around here?"

When were you there? And do you remember what area the home was in where you stayed, or the street it was on?

Crawfish. The state animal of Lousy-ana. You know the story of the old sailor who, when he retired, he took an oar and marched inland? When he found a place, he said, where people did not know what an oar was for, he was going to settle there. In my case it'll be a pic of a crawfish.

Local (peering at pic): "What the hell is that thing?"
Me: "How are property prices around here?"

I was there the first time in 1967. The house where I stayed was in the Mid-City neighborhood. I don't remember the exact street but it was off of Canal since I took the streetcar on Canal.

I was there the first time in 1967. The house where I stayed was in the Mid-City neighborhood. I don't remember the exact street but it was off of Canal since I took the streetcar on Canal.
I was in junior high back then!

If it was one of the cross-streets off Canal, North or South something, it could have been in the area around my future high school, Warren Easton, or farther up around Beauregard Jr. High (both of which Lee Harvey Oswald had attended some years before you got there, by the way). If the cemeteries and the various flower shops were close by, you'd have been nearer to Beauregard.

I think the streetcars that ran on Canal had been discontinued in '64, though. When the city introduced the new streetcars in '04, there were people who had ridden the last '64 cars and now lined up to be the first to ride the new ones in 2004.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Construction buddy of mine just got back from helping over there ... criminal hit him with a tire iron. I do not love the place.

Luckily we have crawfish boils, muffalettas, boudin etc here too.

AA

Construction buddy of mine just got back from helping over there ... criminal hit him with a tire iron. I do not love the place.

Luckily we have crawfish boils, muffalettas, boudin etc here too.

AA
All the food and music icons that everyone raves about in Gnawluns can be imported to wherever you are, without risking penetration by bullets or concussions via tire irons.

In the meantime, though, my older cat is not doing well. He's been hiding since the drive up and is not eating as he should, and when he does come out to drink and use the litter box, he is walking like he's dazed. I'll call a local vet, one who treated another cat of mine in '08, and see if I can get him in today.

Let us know how he makes out. My daughter's 2 cats (6 yrs), after being soaked in flood water and spending 12 hours soaking wet in a car, then winding up in our finished, but unfamiliar basement, didn't eat, drink or pee for 3 days. Now after almost a week, my daughter says they are finally acting, eating and drinking normally. They now even come out from under furniture to let my wife (who's allergic) pet them. Her eyes were really swollen last night. They don't really trust me yet, but they seem to be adjusting to their new surroundings. Tomorrow we put up a new cat tree, so they can get high enough to sit and look out the basement window.

Last edited:
Let us know how he makes out. My daughter's 2 cats (6 yrs), after being soaked in flood water and spending 12 hours soaking wet in a car, then winding up in our finished, but unfamiliar basement, didn't eat, drink or pee for 3 days. Now after almost a week, my daughter says they are finally acting, eating and drinking normally. They now even come out from under furniture to let my wife (who's allergic) pet them. Her eyes were really swollen last night. They don't really trust me yet, but they seem to be adjusting to their new surroundings. Tomorrow we put up a new cat tree, so they can get high enough to sit and look out the basement window.
Thanks for asking about Chekov. His blood sugar spiked, and then went back down into the normal range. After an overnight at the clinic, they sent him home with a couple of meds (never fun to give a cat). He's holing up part of the time in a cubbyhole in the bathroom, and coming out to eat, drink and get petted. So I hope he'll be fine.

All the food and music icons that everyone raves about in Gnawluns can be imported to wherever you are, without risking penetration by bullets or concussions via tire irons.

That reminds me of an episode I observed. I was walking to the Marriott Hotel where I was staying. [This would have been in the 1980s]. I observed this young male wearing high heel shoes that I guess were in style back then. He grabbed some woman's purse and started to run off with it. He took three steps and fell. Everyone laughed and the woman took back her purse, swung it, and hit him in the head with it.

Like so many large cities, crime has taken over and made living there difficult.

Like so many large cities, crime has taken over and made living there difficult.

In late 1969, I did 6 months of basic, and driver training, at North Fort Polk. Basic training at N. Ft.Polk was torture. I was in a company of 130, and over 30 never returned after a short Christmas break. A couple of us had a weekend pass sometime in early 1970 and contemplated a trip to NOLA. One of the guys was from Lake Charles and suggested we rent a hotel room there instead. He had friend or family with a boat, and we spent a nice relaxing day on Lake Charles. That was my only pleasant memory of LA. I never had a desire to go back.

Top Bottom