What's new

Hurricane Ida

Thank you for sharing. You continue in my thoughts and prayers.

Maslow would encourage and say you’re doing exactly as you should, taking care of those basic needs immediately: food, shelter, water, sleep, a good razor :001_rolle, whilst thinking of less immediate needs, such as planning a future home location.

I second @TexOkie Shaver on Tulsa, and should have added its bedroom communities to my list of wonderful OK towns. Sooners from Tulsa love Tulsa, Boomers from Oklahoma City love OKC. Together, we defend the border at the Red River to keep the Texas hoards at bay. If a small town destination spot with a picturesque lake sounds interesting, Eufaula is a good choice. While I can’t speak personally on all of the following, Beautiful OK Towns may be a good reading diversion this weekend.

Stay safe this weekend my friend.

View attachment 1318509
Thank you, sir!

Tulsa -- what about tornadoes? OKC is supposed to be a major part of Tornado Alley. And you don't get as much warning with those events as you do with hurricanes. On the other hand, you don't have to deal with hours of rain and with flooding. Is the risk of tornadoes all that great in OK?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@Benzadmiral, Good idea to get away from KAOS if you have the means & health, it is going to take days for Emergency teams to clean the roads and get the power back on for the residents of the State of Louisiana as you already know. Hope for the best the folks there who decide to stay behind or not able.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Thank you, sir!

Tulsa -- what about tornadoes? OKC is supposed to be a major part of Tornado Alley. And you don't get as much warning with those events as you do with hurricanes. On the other hand, you don't have to deal with hours of rain and with flooding. Is the risk of tornadoes all that great in OK?
The movie “Twister” was to fear of tornados as “Jaws” was to fear of water (in 1975, I was scared to swim in Missouri ponds). Yes, OKC is smack-dab in the middle of Tornado Alley. They happen, but actually impact very few. The local OKC TV stations, especially KWTV 9, provide weather tracking second to none. We lived in OKC in 1999 when an F5 hit Moore. Channel 9 started reporting on impending tornado conditions hours before. They had a helicopter flying alongside it. Lots of advance warnings, and everyone has “fraidy holes.”

By contrast, we also lived in California. Earthquakes are far more common and the damage more far reaching… closer to hurricane-like impact than tornado-like impact.

Lord, I hate this place. . . . Yet another reason to live in a place where this kind of thing doesn't happen. Ever.

I wish you the best and hope your power doesn't go out. I know the apprehension of approaching storms. That's the scary part. My wife and I lived in Fla in the mid 1970s. I learned to track every hurricane and 40+ years later still do. We never got hit in Fla, until we moved back to NJ. Irene in 2011 and Sandy in 2012 were worse than our time in Fla. With Irene (a rain event), power was out for 40 hours. Our finished basement would have flooded, if not for running 200'+ of extension cords to a neighbor behind me. My wife and I lugged buckets of water from our sump pump basin for hours, until my neighbor back-fed his generator into his house so he could generate enough power for our sump pump. We were fortunate. Neighbors on both sides of us had 12" of water in their basements, losing furnace, hot water heaters, and washers/dryers. By Sandy (power out for 9 days), I had my own generator, with a transfer switch, but power was also out at gas distribution centers and gas was hard to get. We had to ration our gas, running our generator 3 hours on and 3 hrs off for the nine days.

Tornado alley isn't much better. We were living in Louisville when the tornado swarm hit in 1974. We weren't affected, but my reserve unit got called up for a week to clean up. I couldn't believe the devastation. Whereas hurricane damage is widespread, tornadoes are localized and wipe out everything in it's path.

Stay safe.

. . . I second @TexOkie Shaver on Tulsa, and should have added its bedroom communities to my list of wonderful OK towns. Sooners from Tulsa love Tulsa, Boomers from Oklahoma City love OKC. Together, we defend the border at the Red River to keep the Texas hoards at bay. If a small town destination spot with a picturesque lake sounds interesting, Eufaula is a good choice. While I can’t speak personally on all of the following, Beautiful OK Towns may be a good reading diversion this weekend.

Stay safe this weekend my friend.
I'm astonished by the "Beautiful OK Towns" selections. Of course the pics would be of the best of the best -- but I'm still amazed at how clean they all are!

Better prepared still: I made a new reservation with a different hotel, lower rate but also pet-friendly, in the same area -- Monday through next Saturday. We can cancel early but this way we'll be set if the power takes longer to come on. A Sonesta Simply Suites, if it matters, with a cancellation protection fee. I'll make sure to call the hotel locally this morning and make sure all is set, and after that I'll cancel the 2-day stay at the other. This gives me a good deal of peace of mind.

If a miracle occurs and my power never goes off, I can cancel, and all I'll be out is one night's fee. That's worth it to me.

I have no kids or grandkids, but yes, access to a doctor would be important for me too. Tulsa may be a little too crowded and/or expensive housing-wise for me, but maybe there would be some properties in the near suburbs.
I think the spot where we live is about the best of all possible worlds. We are right in the middle of the thriving medical community but not really in the busy part of town. A turnpike runs just north of our home, so we can jump on it an be just about anywhere in a matter of minutes. The downside is also the upside, we are away from police protection, so you are on your own so to speak. We are at the conjunction of Tulsa, Broken Arrow and Bixby, which I guess is why we are away from police.

we live near the blue dot below. There are two major hospitals within 1 mile of our house, a major shopping sprawl two miles up the road, restaurants galore in that same area with the shopping. We are close to everything, but not so close that it affects us.

5680FA2C-2EF8-4397-B1BB-466E38F7D20E.png

No rain at the moment, and almost no wind. If not for the threat, this would be the sort of quiet cloudy Sunday morning I'd wish for.

I think the spot where we live is about the best of all possible worlds. We are right in the middle of the thriving medical community but not really in the busy part of town. A turnpike runs just north of our home, so we can jump on it an be just about anywhere in a matter of minutes. The downside is also the upside, we are away from police protection, so you are on your own so to speak. We are at the conjunction of Tulsa, Broken Arrow and Bixby, which I guess is why we are away from police.

we live near the blue dot below. There are two major hospitals within 1 mile of our house, a major shopping sprawl two miles up the road, restaurants galore in that same area with the shopping. We are close to everything, but not so close that it affects us.

View attachment 1318967
That looks great. Zillow did not seem to have many listings in my price range in Broken Arrow, Sapulpa, or Sand Springs. That could change. How hot and humid does it get in the summer, and how long does that last? And do people believe in the need for A/C, proper cool air from ceiling vents I mean, in homes and shops? (Denver people thought that was optional. I got news for ya, Sparky, if it's 100 degrees outside, you need air.)

That looks great. Zillow did not seem to have many listings in my price range in Broken Arrow, Sapulpa, or Sand Springs. That could change. How hot and humid does it get in the summer, and how long does that last? And do people believe in the need for A/C, proper cool air from ceiling vents I mean, in homes and shops? (Denver people thought that was optional. I got news for ya, Sparky, if it's 100 degrees outside, you need air.)
Air conditioning is standard equipment here. Some homes have floor vents, some have ceiling vents. But all homes have air. I’m in a house that was built with floor vents, but had them moved to the ceiling due to water standing in the vents. I think that’s a byproduct of a post tension slab. It hovers around 100° for about three weeks around this time of year. Some summers , like last summer it never gets to 100°. Winters generally are mild. We usually have one week where it gets around 0° for 3 days to a week and then the lower teens upper single digits are our lows for winter. I hate winter, so if I can tough it out, anyone can.

I find it odd, that you can still find a car on a lot now and then without air. I wonder what moron thinks air conditioning is optional in a car? Maybe in Chicago but not here.

Anyway, Tulsa is a nice place. The surrounding communities are great places to make a home and raise kids. If you have kids, which I don’t think you do, steer clear of Tulsa schools. Go for Broken Arrow, Bixby, Jenks, Owasso, Or Union. That’s where the big bucks are and the good education. Union just opened a new Football stadium that would put some small college stadiums to shame.

5C5E0279-8607-490D-B6BB-0F1E5FFBE76E.jpeg

We are two miles south of this stadium. Thankfully the traffic on Friday night does not affect us. This is the old stadium. I couldn’t find an actual photo of the new one. The building behind the stadium is the multicultural arena. They have basketball games there and hold events such as job fairs, etc.

Only had a typhoon bearing down on me once (and happily it bent of) in Thailand. definitely not something I want to repeat. Overhere in holland we only have the ini mini variety.

stay strong wish you and yours the best.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Air conditioning is standard equipment here. Some homes have floor vents, some have ceiling vents. But all homes have air. I’m in a house that was built with floor vents, but had them moved to the ceiling due to water standing in the vents. I think that’s a byproduct of a post tension slab. It hovers around 100° for about three weeks around this time of year. Some summers , like last summer it never gets to 100°. Winters generally are mild. We usually have one week where it gets around 0° for 3 days to a week and then the lower teens upper single digits are our lows for winter. I hate winter, so if I can tough it out, anyone can.

I find it odd, that you can still find a car on a lot now and then without air. I wonder what moron thinks air conditioning is optional in a car? Maybe in Chicago but not here.

Anyway, Tulsa is a nice place. The surrounding communities are great places to make a home and raise kids. If you have kids, which I don’t think you do, steer clear of Tulsa schools. Go for Broken Arrow, Bixby, Jenks, Owasso, Or Union. That’s where the big bucks are and the good education. Union just opened a new Football stadium that would put some small college stadiums to shame.

View attachment 1318995

We are two miles south of this stadium. Thankfully the traffic on Friday night does not affect us. This is the old stadium. I couldn’t find an actual photo of the new one. The building behind the stadium is the multicultural arena. They have basketball games there and hold events such as job fairs, etc.
Wait...that is the OLD high skool football stadium? Can't imagine what the new one looks like!

Some noticeable wind and light rain now.

I called the 511 number and spoke to an actual human. They may or may not be available tomorrow. There's a website, and Linda or I may be able to call it up on our phones to see if the interstates are closed.

Wait...that is the OLD high skool football stadium? Can't imagine what the new one looks like!
Yes, that’s the old one. The new one has enclosed areas under the stands with air conditioned/heated suites behind the seats with individuals seats with cup holders, instead of bleacher seating. The media center for the scoreboard operators is next door to the press box and is state of the art. Next to that is the VIP Suite suite with a kitchen and full service food area. I’m telling you, some colleges would drool over this place. Prescription Turf, State of The Art Scoreboard. It was all on TV a couple of nights back, I’m surprised I couldn’t find it on the Internet.

Benzadmiral, I hope it works out ok for you. This storm is even predicted to dump 3+" of rain by the time it gets to central NJ. If that happens, my daughter and husband will likely flood and may have to evacuate. At least my wife and I live close by, on higher ground, so they will have a place to go.

Top Bottom