What's new

Hurricane Ida

The lady beast is taking aim at S. Lousy-ana. I don't live in a flood-prone area, so even being on the ground floor, I'm not worried about high water. Loss of power concerns me a lot more. If I can get out of work early this afternoon (my employer may tell us to go home!), I can hit the grocery, gas up the car early early tomorrow morning, and be set. Others will not be so lucky.

Lord, I hate this place. . . . Yet another reason to live in a place where this kind of thing doesn't happen. Ever.

The lady beast is taking aim at S. Lousy-ana. I don't live in a flood-prone area, so even being on the ground floor, I'm not worried about high water. Loss of power concerns me a lot more. If I can get out of work early this afternoon (my employer may tell us to go home!), I can hit the grocery, gas up the car early early tomorrow morning, and be set. Others will not be so lucky.

Lord, I hate this place. . . . Yet another reason to live in a place where this kind of thing doesn't happen. Ever.
I guess you could move to Oklahoma. We never have hurricanes, other than the golden variety, and then only on the gridiron or the basketball court. But we do have those pesky naders.

I guess you could move to Oklahoma. We never have hurricanes, other than the golden variety, and then only on the gridiron or the basketball court. But we do have those pesky naders.
You don't know it, but I've been Zillow-inspecting houses in Bartlesville and other towns in OK. Where are you, and do you like it?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

I was surprised by the very short notice for this one, not very much time to prepare.

Hope it doesn't do very much damage, and everyone stays safe.

I was surprised by the very short notice for this one, not very much time to prepare.

Hope it doesn't do very much damage, and everyone stays safe.
The latest from my employer is that we'll be closed on Monday, and supervisors are asked to be flexible in allowing employees to leave early today to do their preparations. Again, I'm not worried about flooding but about lack of power. Maybe I'll get lucky. The latest I've read said that the thing is supposed to make landfall about 90 miles W of here.

Grocery tonight (I hope), gas up the car very early tomorrow (though I do not plan to evacuate), and then hunker down, I guess.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
The latest from my employer is that we'll be closed on Monday, and supervisors are asked to be flexible in allowing employees to leave early today to do their preparations. Again, I'm not worried about flooding but about lack of power. Maybe I'll get lucky. The latest I've read said that the thing is supposed to make landfall about 90 miles W of here.

Grocery tonight (I hope), gas up the car very early tomorrow (though I do not plan to evacuate), and then hunker down, I guess.
It sounds like you're in for a doozy of a weekend. You are and will be in the prayers of quite a few of us. As for Oklahoma... we lived just north of Edmond, OK for 3 years and absolutely loved it. The people are genuinely kind and warm. All the homes were of brick construction and well crafted. Schools were top notch. It's a beautiful state.

Stay safe, and if you're able, let us know how things are going.

🤔 Now an unholy cat4 at landfall.

Do not underestimate the harm this can do. Make plans and go, if applicable.

AA 😑
After the bloody horror that was the Katrina evacuation 16 years ago, I have no intention of getting out on the roads -- unless I must. In which case I'll wait until after the rain stops or slacks of, which might mean doing without power for a day or so, and then sneak out the back way. I did that in 2012's hurricane and it proved to be much the wiser course.

Groceries are done, water jugs filled, food for the cats and myself, and I plan to go very early tomorrow and gas up the car.

Future plan: Live somewhere else.

It sounds like you're in for a doozy of a weekend. You are and will be in the prayers of quite a few of us. As for Oklahoma... we lived just north of Edmond, OK for 3 years and absolutely loved it. The people are genuinely kind and warm. All the homes were of brick construction and well crafted. Schools were top notch. It's a beautiful state.

Stay safe, and if you're able, let us know how things are going.
I'll have to look at Edmond. With my SS and pension, no car note, and good health, I hope to do some editing/writing online. If I can work from home part of the day, I don't need to live in a larger city. And in fact I want out of the anthill. A town of 75K people would be plenty, and I'm intrigued by the idea of even smaller places.

ETA at 5:10 pm: Local news suggests that the track may have shifted a tiny bit to the west. We'll still be in the NE quadrant, the worst part, but any shift is welcome.

Last edited:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
We traveled throughout the state. Our favorite places: College towns Norman (OU) and Stillwater (OSU) will keep you young. Guthrie and Shawnee are lovely small towns with history. Edmond is a relaxed upscale bedroom community of OKC, which has a lot to offer.

Figured if the electricity hopefully stays on all weekend, this would give you a few places to check out online. Stay safe!!

You don't know it, but I've been Zillow-inspecting houses in Bartlesville and other towns in OK. Where are you, and do you like it?
I’m in Tulsa. I like Tulsa and would have trouble picking anywhere else to move to. If I was going to move it would probably be one of the nearby communities. I don’t want to get very far from my doctors. When you get to my age you start thinking about how far it is to the hospital, where your doctor is, in addition to where the grandkids are. It’s funny how where the kids are seems less important.

I’m in Tulsa. I like Tulsa and would have trouble picking anywhere else to move to. If I was going to move it would probably be one of the nearby communities. I don’t want to get very far from my doctors. When you get to my age you start thinking about how far it is to the hospital, where your doctor is, in addition to where the grandkids are. It’s funny how where the kids are seems less important.
I have no kids or grandkids, but yes, access to a doctor would be important for me too. Tulsa may be a little too crowded and/or expensive housing-wise for me, but maybe there would be some properties in the near suburbs.

Update, all,

I ran out to the bank and the gas station. Also I've reserved a room in Birmingham for the 30th and 31st. If the power goes out, I can sneak out later on Monday and get to B'ham in 6 hours. True, the cancellation window closes at midnight Sunday, which might be too early to know if I'll need the room. But better to pay a cancellation fee and not need the hotel, than to cancel early and not be able to find another.

Homewood Suites allows pets, so I can take the cats if I must. It's a non-smoking room, so I'll leave the pipes behind. Razor? One of the Techs. I love them both, but if I lose one it's easily replaced.

I really hope this is my last season in this pesthole.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Update, all,

I ran out to the bank and the gas station. Also I've reserved a room in Birmingham for the 30th and 31st. If the power goes out, I can sneak out later on Monday and get to B'ham in 6 hours. True, the cancellation window closes at midnight Sunday, which might be too early to know if I'll need the room. But better to pay a cancellation fee and not need the hotel, than to cancel early and not be able to find another.

Homewood Suites allows pets, so I can take the cats if I must. It's a non-smoking room, so I'll leave the pipes behind. Razor? One of the Techs. I love them both, but if I lose one it's easily replaced.

I really hope this is my last season in this pesthole.
Thank you for sharing. You continue in my thoughts and prayers.

Maslow would encourage and say you’re doing exactly as you should, taking care of those basic needs immediately: food, shelter, water, sleep, a good razor :001_rolle, whilst thinking of less immediate needs, such as planning a future home location.

I second @TexOkie Shaver on Tulsa, and should have added its bedroom communities to my list of wonderful OK towns. Sooners from Tulsa love Tulsa, Boomers from Oklahoma City love OKC. Together, we defend the border at the Red River to keep the Texas hoards at bay. If a small town destination spot with a picturesque lake sounds interesting, Eufaula is a good choice. While I can’t speak personally on all of the following, Beautiful OK Towns may be a good reading diversion this weekend.

Stay safe this weekend my friend.

F5EA7F96-9A29-4B5A-860B-6C31D6F5EBAD.jpeg

Top Bottom