What's new

Hunting for Wild Hones

So I read a reference to an Apache Strata hone somewhere on here, and it led to me this website where they are sold: NaturalHones.com - https://naturalhones.com/

Those stones have me intrigued because the guy that owns the site claims that he finds them all in the desert in (I think) Arizona. Then he cut them somewhat to shape, laps them flat, and sells them. How cool would it be to find a few natural hones in the wild and fix them up where they're serviceable? Anyone ever done that? Do y'all know of any resources, like a book, that would provide information on how to look for the right stones that could be used for sharpening?

I do a fair amount of this. It's fun! There is an older thread here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

There is a good reference to sharpening stones and quarries from a collector (since passed) in Europe. I don't remember his name at the moment.

I got into amateur geology, which is a help in knowing which areas not to even bother looking in, and what class of stones I may find in other areas. I recently ran into a mention of the 'Apache group' in 'Geology Underfoot, in Northern Arizona'.

Last edited:
Buy or see if your library has "Roadside Geology of " insert state name.
I recently had some good luck going to waterfalls in the dry season. Lots of rock to choose from.

There is a good reference to sharpening stones and quarries from a collector (since passed) in Europe. I don't remember his name at the moment.

I think you're referring to Henk Bos, and his three-part (?) Grinding and Honing series.

I've found stones for use in the Vermont slate area and in the Vosges mountains of France. Lots of fun searching for them. I find a wet tile cutter and a small, tabletop belt sander help in cutting them down to size and initial flattening.

I think you're referring to Henk Bos, and his three-part (?) Grinding and Honing series.

I've found stones for use in the Vermont slate area and in the Vosges mountains of France. Lots of fun searching for them. I find a wet tile cutter and a small, tabletop belt sander help in cutting them down to size and initial flattening.
Yeah, that's him. Thank you!

Another tip; When I find a stone that I want to test, I pick up a nice size piece and also a piece barely big enough to use. I lap the small piece first and give it a try on an edge. If it's not worth pursuing I've saved a whole lot of lapping time.

Interesting. This may be the only way I switch from film to stones. I just can't justify the cost.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks y'all! I've got loads of good reading to work through now.

I've also got access to some land in the Oachita Mountains that's about 50 miles from where Dan's Whetstones is based. Surely I can find something there! I don't know when I'll be heading there next, but I'll report back on my findings eventually.

I have used lapped agate stones as finishing stones with decent results. I found that some worked better than other. I also lapped a few random stones but never got much lucks with those. Some was passing around a found stone that was all white. It was referred to as the ice-home. I tried it out and worked great for me.

Yeah there’s a thread with hundreds if not thousands of posts of guys foraging for stones. I’m sure someone can find it for you

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
IIRC the thread title was something like “I found it over there” but I haven’t been able to find it yet.

There is also webpage can't link. Apparently there is a list of quarries in Roy Underhill's book.

That's good stuff! It looks like this is the book referenced: The Woodwright's Companion: Exploring Traditional Woodcraft: Roy Underhill: 9780807840955: Amazon.com: Books - https://www.amazon.com/Woodwrights-Companion-Exploring-Traditional-Woodcraft/dp/0807840955/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=roy+underhill&qid=1576376427&sr=8-6

I may have to pick it up. The description says: "This volume features chapters on helves and handles, saws, the search for the whetstone quarry, crow chasers and turkey calls,..."

That's good stuff! It looks like this is the book referenced: The Woodwright's Companion: Exploring Traditional Woodcraft: Roy Underhill: 9780807840955: Amazon.com: Books - https://www.amazon.com/Woodwrights-Companion-Exploring-Traditional-Woodcraft/dp/0807840955/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=roy+underhill&qid=1576376427&sr=8-6

I may have to pick it up. The description says: "This volume features chapters on helves and handles, saws, the search for the whetstone quarry, crow chasers and turkey calls,..."

Don't have the book, but read the article about the search for the whetstone quarry on mother earth and it is about 45 minutes from me. I did some research and narrowed it down to most possible location using the old maps he used and matched it up with new maps and some key features as the maps don't match up so easily. Never made the expedition though. I think the stones are more chisel and knife quality so never went looking.

I've read that only 2% of the jnats coming out of the mines were razor quality. That's after the experienced miners had already chosen which stones were worth cutting into hones.

I think the stones are more chisel and knife quality so never went looking.

I don't have any expectation to find any hones that are finer than my black ark. But I think it'd be super cool to have a few rough cut stones, like the ones in the video you posted, for sharpening knives and such.

I already learned things from the video you posted. It seemed kind of nasty to use spit on a hone, but I decided to try it on a pocket sized hard ark from Dan's with my Case Trapper. Spittle definitely worked better than water! Dare I say, I think it even produced a finer edge than Dan's honing oil. I'm tempted to try it on my black ark with a razor.

Top Bottom