What's new

Hunting for Wild Hones

I don't have any expectation to find any hones that are finer than my black ark. But I think it'd be super cool to have a few rough cut stones, like the ones in the video you posted, for sharpening knives and such.

I already learned things from the video you posted. It seemed kind of nasty to use spit on a hone, but I decided to try it on a pocket sized hard ark from Dan's with my Case Trapper. Spittle definitely worked better than water! Dare I say, I think it even produced a finer edge than Dan's honing oil. I'm tempted to try it on my black ark with a razor.

I use spit on my axe and machete stones and on knifes in the outdoors when water is not around or if using an Ark. Works great, but kinda nasty too.

We're going to need an assembly line. Wonder if it can come in different varieties. Maybe chewing tobacco spittle has different properties for honing.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Tickle the belly of a spitting llama

E5833897-2696-4374-8A8D-72B2884FA46D.jpeg

Try slate roofing tiles or slate floor tiles.
You can buy new slate floor tiles as low as $0.50 to $2.00 at big box home improvement stores and flooring stores and you can find slate roofing tiles at antique malls and recycled builders supply shops.
This slate comes from all over the world. It can be soft or hard and can be slurred.
I haven't found anything to match a Thuringian but I have a really nice purple Vermont slate roof tile that puts a nice finish edge on my razors.

And I didn't have to go looking for a rocky outcrop to find it.

But if you want to find a rocky outcrop try a spot where a road was cut through the side of a hill. Lots of shale and limestone here in Ohio but at Hocking Hills State Park is the stone quarry where the Queer Creek (Ohio Blue) whetstone came from.

For what it's worth, I got brave enough to try spit on the black ark. I think I may be done with honing oil. Seriously, it worked great! Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Tell me more about this propylene glycol.
Well, it's totally water soluble, acts as a surfactant, seems to act as an emulsifier as it gradually cleans the oil out of oil stones, it is safe and can even be purchased as food grade. The viscosity is very flexible by adding more/less water. I think odorless too, but my nose doesn't work real well. Low freezing point. Cheap.

Can't think of anything else at the moment other than I've been using it on my oil stones for years.

Well, it's totally water soluble, acts as a surfactant, seems to act as an emulsifier as it gradually cleans the oil out of oil stones, it is safe and can even be purchased as food grade. The viscosity is very flexible by adding more/less water. I think odorless too, but my nose doesn't work real well. Low freezing point. Cheap.

Can't think of anything else at the moment other than I've been using it on my oil stones for years.

I think I’m going to have to pick some up and give it a shot. Thank you for your input.

I think I’m going to have to pick some up and give it a shot. Thank you for your input.
Try to get 100%. That gives you the most versatility in viscosity. Sources may be drug store for food grade. Winterizing solution for RVs though I think this is dilute. Winterizing for swimming pools. Boiler and solar system antifreeze.

Try to get 100%. That gives you the most versatility in viscosity. Sources may be drug store for food grade. Winterizing solution for RVs though I think this is dilute. Winterizing for swimming pools. Boiler and solar system antifreeze.
Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada carries it a certain locations. 750ml bottles for about $8 cad. They use it for compounding, but I will be sure to check for 100%

50% will still be usable. I normally dilute it further than that on the face of the hone. I spray some water on the hone then add a few drops of PG.

50% will still be usable. I normally dilute it further than that on the face of the hone. I spray some water on the hone then add a few drops of PG.
I will pick some up and let you know how it goes. I do love the stuff I use now, but, oil is oil and I never cared for glycerin.

@bluesman 7 i got my hands on a bottle of propylene glycol USP. I have used it for a few razors now on the Ark and I am very happy. Could this be the perfect non oil, honing fluid, I think so. Now to get a dropper bottle to make application easier.

Top Bottom