What's new

Hungarian Shaving Creams.

Just a short and cheerful post Gentlemen,

I thought I would show what is available to me by way of shaving creams in Budapest.

Barbon, Figaro, Balea and Derby shave creams: All very nice I must say. Derby is the winner by a nose(forgive the pun it has a horse on the tube)

Thoughts, questions and comments most welcome,

Ct Petherington Fletcher.

Attachments

• $Barbon Shaving Cream..jpg
    $Barbon Shaving Cream..jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 509
  • $shave cream.jpg
    $shave cream.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 512
  • $media_1-data.jpg
    $media_1-data.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 507
Hello There Sir!

Three of these creams are made in Budapest, Hungary by a company called Caola Cosmetics Ltd Founded in 1831! (Barbon, Figaro and Derby) The Derby Lux Cream is often confused with a cream simply called Derby which is actually Turkish and made (I believe) by the same fellows who gave us Arko shave soap.
The Balea cream is imported from Germany by DM (Drogerie Markt) and is widely available through Central and Eastern Europe.

I hope this goes someway to answering your question!

Have a pleasant evening,

Thanks for the information. Barbon was available in the States for a few years. I quite liked the cream. I tried contacting Lux directly to get some Derby info but never received a response.

Good Evening Mr SmooveD,

As for the information, most welcome. A Ron Swanson fan and Kierkegaard reader!
It is indeed an honour, Sir. As for your response from Lux, knowing the Hungarian postal service as I do, your reply may still be on it's way....but I would give it at least 10 years.....

The barbon and figaro are top notch and cheap as hell . shave a buck here on the form carries them and the matching aftershaves . i have hoarded both cream and aftershaves good.stuff cheap !!!

This is a thread I can get behind.

View attachment 242149

Haven't been to Hungary in about 6 years, myself, but since I started wet shaving, I've picked up a Hungarian DE Razor from the 50s that came with NOS Figaro blades.
Maybe I'll do a nostalgia shave with it at some point. I remember Barbon from the 80s until the wall fell and everyone wanted everything from the West (from blue jeans, Marlboros, and even disposable razors & creams). At my grandma's in the country, however, she had no indoor running water so you got yourself a wash basin and heated up some water and put in next to the mirror on the wall and shaved or outside if the weather was nice. The next time I do go, hopefully next summer, I will pick up Barbon & Figaro at the dirt cheap price of 384Ft (Hungarian Forint) = $1.73.

Until then, I can always checkout my local Shave A Buck right here in New Jersey. Maybe get some S&H knocked down to standard shipping?? :wink2:

$IMG_0190.jpg

Barbon and Figaro (foaming) creams are some of, if not the best creams I have ever used. The Barbon has a fresh, "green" smell, which I assume is from the Chlorophyll in it and is ideal for summer shaving. The Figaro has a warmish herbaceous scent (a bit like Musgo Real, but not as strong) and I use it during winter.

Both give magnificent shaves with more than ample slickness, cushion, glide and moisturising. In short, two products that offer superb value. For the price you owe it to yourself to grab at least one of these fine creams. :thumbup:

Barbon and Figaro (foaming) creams are some of, if not the best creams I have ever used. The Barbon has a fresh, "green" smell, which I assume is from the Chlorophyll in it and is ideal for summer shaving. The Figaro has a warmish herbaceous scent (a bit like Musgo Real, but not as strong) and I use it during winter.

Both give magnificent shaves with more than ample slickness, cushion, glide and moisturising. In short, two products that offer superb value. For the price you owe it to yourself to grab at least one of these fine creams. :thumbup:

Exact, but I would add the Derby.....

Tam

Exact, but I would add the Derby.....

You talked me into it Tam, I just ordered a tube.

I finished off my tube of Figaro this morning with a new Treet Carbon Steel blade in a Muhle R41. Some serious faceturbation going on here, I can tell you!! :biggrin1:

I've used both the Barbon shaving cream and the aftershave- I like them both! Shaveabuck has them in stock currently for those that are interested.

This is another Caola cream, I don't see it listed on their website now,so it may be discontinued,a really nice cream.

Attachments

• $rooney horn 005.jpg
    $rooney horn 005.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 282
  • $rooney horn 006.jpg
    $rooney horn 006.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 284
Barbers in the Middle East are using these caola creams,very low priced and great product.
I have been told that Caola export shaving cream is very similar to Barbon but it has no Oakmoss extract.

Barbers in the Middle East are using these caola creams,very low priced and great product.
I have been told that Caola export shaving cream is very similar to Barbon but it has no Oakmoss extract.

I'm a new fan of Figaro Shave cream and aftershave ; just recently discovered it .
One of the most pleasant and very best I've used .
The cream is $3.99 and aftershave is $5.99
Got mine at Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC .
Also available from SHAVE A BUCK .

Both barbon and figaro creams contains oakmoss,known as evernia prunastri. Caola cream now contains fragrances and oakmoss. Chlorophyll has antiseptic effect, its known to stop bleeding from nicks or cuts.

Top Bottom