What's new

Humphrey's witch hazel...

Has anyone had any experience with Humphrey's? I just received my bottle and it smells just like TH Dickensons but not like Thayer's.

I actually noticed that TS Dickensons is in the same town as Humpreys. Its probably the same company. I used to Humphreys this morning, not bad stuff.

Have only used Dickensons... Is there a big difference between the Hazels?

There are basically 2 camps when it comes to Witch Hazels.

1. traditional WH such as Dickensons, but generic will be almost identical in performance. They are produced by distillation and therefor alcohol based (around 14%) and most have no additives. They will all perform well, and do what you want to with it's to some unpleasant woody smell.

2. The second camp is the "new age" WH namely Thayer's. Don't get me wrong, it is a fine product, but does not perform the same as true WH. I have the Lavender variety, though I don't think it smells at all like lavender, it has some additives such as aloe and is produced some how without distillation. Many say that Thayers is not WH at all but a product containing Witch Hazel extract. I find Thayer's to be a soothing and moisturizing product but not much of a toner at all. Perhaps it is the lack of alcohol. I think it is a fine product for irritated skin and used it yesterday after I forgot my skin does not get along with Perasso at all. (I don't get along with menthol) But as daily toner, I find it too a bit too not there if that makes sense.

There are basically 2 camps when it comes to Witch Hazels.

1. traditional WH such as Dickensons, but generic will be almost identical in performance. They are produced by distillation and therefor alcohol based (around 14%) and most have no additives. They will all perform well, and do what you want to with it's to some unpleasant woody smell.

2. The second camp is the "new age" WH namely Thayer's. Don't get me wrong, it is a fine product, but does not perform the same as true WH. I have the Lavender variety, though I don't think it smells at all like lavender, it has some additives such as aloe and is produced some how without distillation. Many say that Thayers is not WH at all but a product containing Witch Hazel extract. I find Thayer's to be a soothing and moisturizing product but not much of a toner at all. Perhaps it is the lack of alcohol. I think it is a fine product for irritated skin and used it yesterday after I forgot my skin does not get along with Perasso at all. (I don't get along with menthol) But as daily toner, I find it too a bit too not there if that makes sense.

Actually, traditional witch hazel is produced by steam distillation and does not automatically contain alcohol, the alcohol is added later as a preservative. Thayers states that there product is not produced by distillation so it is most likely produced by what is generally referred to as the "mix and macerate" method where shredded plant material is soaked in water. Many of the Thayers products also contain no alcohol, so another preservative is necessary, usually a vitamin E based material.

If you want to try Thayer's with alcohol I recommend the Lemon Astringent (10% alc.) and the Medicated Superhazel (20%). Both make wonderful aftershaves that perform better than generic witch hazel for me (though I keep a bottle of that around also). The Superhazel is especially nice in the summertime, due to the peppermint oil cooling affect it has.

tried some Humphrey's citrus last night.

First shave I've had since starting two months ago that I experienced zero post shave tightness or stinging.

Top Bottom