What's new

Hump Day Herf Day 12APR17 - Tell Me a Story

Okay gents,

Some pipes we have because they are beautiful, or are well engineered, or maybe because they were just too good of a bargain on the Bay. But, some of those pipes have some sentimental value as well. An inheritance, perhaps, or a gift, or maybe just a diamond found in the rough.

Those are the pipes we want to see for the Hump Day Herf this Wednesday...the pipes with a story behind them.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sadly, I won't be able to join in this time. My Tinsky morta developed a crack in the stem. Mark said he can put a silver band on it to correct that, and I am finally sending it off to him. Whomever had it made had Mark stamp it "B&B LE 2013 Morta"- it is a one of a kind. Here is the story behind it (still chokes me up a little):

For once, at a loss for words.

morta.jpg

May not be around Wednesday, but not 100% sure yet. If I can, I'll be reaching for a certain birth year pipe that was a present from my old man.

Sadly, I won't be able to join in this time. My Tinsky morta developed a crack in the stem. Mark said he can put a silver band on it to correct that, and I am finally sending it off to him. Whomever had it made had Mark stamp it "B&B LE 2013 Morta"- it is a one of a kind. Here is the story behind it (still chokes me up a little):

For once, at a loss for words.

View attachment 781139
Holy crap Owen. That thing could never be replaced. That story is something else. Did they find out its not true yet?..(I figured Id go there, its been a few years)

IMAG1744.jpg

Well my story is easy since you all know it already. I snapped my Savinelli unfinished in a stupid moment. Out of the blue @Graybeard57 sent me his !

Still very grateful

Thank you Bruce

Campbell's Smoke Shop 30th Anniversary blend (courtesy of @Claudel Xerxes ) in a Peterson Rosslare Classic B10...

20170412_155701.jpg

The story behind this pipe may not be so interesting, but just as I was beginning to dip my toe into the pipe world, my lovely bride (who had spent the previous year watching me acquire every shaving accoutrement known to man, who is not a tobacco fan, and who wasn't really thrilled that I was a cigar smoker) bought this for me at Iwan Ries as a gift for our fifth (wood!) anniversary. Keeper.

Last edited:
This Savenelli was my friends first non cob. Friend quit smoking and I bought all his pipes. Nothing special but it lives English blends after I got the aromatic vanilla ghosts out.

Had some Wessex Gold Standard in it today.
IMG_20170322_171018.jpg

My dad was a "dabbler" in pipe smoking, as in I can only recall him smoking one on rare occasions. He preferred Middleton's Apple blend, I can distinctly remember seeing the pouch next to his pipes. He was also a volunteer firefighter for as long as I can remember.

Sometime in the mid 70's my mom got him a complete Dr Grabow Viking set. It had both bent and straight stems, and like 4 or 5 different bowls, which he then went out and picked up the fire engine red bulldog shaped bowl for, cause fire engine red. He passed the pipes on to me a bit back when he saw I was going full steam on pipe smoking. So, I present to you his fire engine red bulldog bowl on the Grabow Viking bent stem, the only pipe setup I ever saw him smoke. I didn't have an open Middleton Apple, so it's Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (the only OTC blend I have open currently). Doesn't matter, the Apple is so ghosted in this thing, even the metal itself smells of it, so I'll catch Middleton Apple through the smoke anyways. lol

IMG_20170412_183916.jpg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Campbell's Smoke Shop 30th Anniversary blend (courtesy of @Claudel Xerxes ) in a Peterson Rosslare Classic B10...

View attachment 782048

The story behind this pipe may not be so interesting, but just as I was beginning to dip my toe into the pipe world, my lovely bride (who had spent the previous year watching me acquire every shaving accoutrement known to man, who is not a tobacco fan, and who wasn't really thrilled that I was a cigar smoker) bought this for me at Iwan Ries as a gift for our fifth (wood!) anniversary. Keeper.

I didn't think that you'd even be interested in that blend. :lol: I just threw it in because Micah requested it. The batch that I sent you gents had a stronger aromatic quality to it then I remember. I remember liking it though.

Beautiful story and pipe, Price. A keeper, for sure.

My dad was a "dabbler" in pipe smoking, as in I can only recall him smoking one on rare occasions. He preferred Middleton's Apple blend, I can distinctly remember seeing the pouch next to his pipes. He was also a volunteer firefighter for as long as I can remember.

Sometime in the mid 70's my mom got him a complete Dr Grabow Viking set. It had both bent and straight stems, and like 4 or 5 different bowls, which he then went out and picked up the fire engine red bulldog shaped bowl for, cause fire engine red. He passed the pipes on to me a bit back when he saw I was going full steam on pipe smoking. So, I present to you his fire engine red bulldog bowl on the Grabow Viking bent stem, the only pipe setup I ever saw him smoke. I didn't have an open Middleton Apple, so it's Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (the only OTC blend I have open currently). Doesn't matter, the Apple is so ghosted in this thing, even the metal itself smells of it, so I'll catch Middleton Apple through the smoke anyways. lol

View attachment 782052
So Cool...

Top Bottom