Hummingbirds and the feeders

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Bella loves them hummers.

9A0CF819-9CE6-450E-9AE5-407EB2975C60.jpeg
5BE9A3C2-0A7A-4504-B575-321B1AD3B907.jpeg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
We finally had a hummingbird at the feeder this past week! Woot! Must have been the fresh juice.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I always hung mine using two fishing leaders with a small round bobber in the middle. A gob of axle grease on the top of the bobber prevented the ants from going any farther.
I'll try the grease thing, but so far no ants...but they are a comin".

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That time of year has returned... 🤔 Hummers are back!

Just caught one spearing my blooming phalenopsis orchid with its bill. Sorry little guy, no nectar there! 🤣 Put out the colibri-feeder instead.

AA

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Got discouraged earlier in the summer when we saw one a handful of times and then finally, none. Brought the feeder in and kept it in. It was just attracting ants.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you're feeding hummingbirds, please make sure you are cleaning the feeder frequently. More frequently in warm weather.
Hummingbirds can get a fungal infection from a dirty feeder, which causes the tongue to swell and they starve to death.

I’ve heard that they may feed on feeders less frequently in summer because there’s lots of flowers for them to feed on. Our weather just got a lot cooler and I’ve seen close to a dozen some days this past week

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It is bizarre - we have hummers all summer long. NEVER a male, just the drab females. Going on five years now and no luck.
I use two feeders one in the front yard and one in the backyard. The males use the one in the front almost all the time. The one in the back 90% female with about 10% male.

I use two feeders one in the front yard and one in the backyard. The males use the one in the front almost all the time. The one in the back 90% female with about 10% male.

We have the same setup - one in the front and one in the back so they can't see each other. Both are exclusive to the ladies, year after year. One guy mentioned to me that our feeders are right up close to the window and maybe that was why the males won't come. His are out ten feet or so from his house and he gets males. Nutty.

Top Bottom