What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I wondered about this. Sorry to hear it.

On a totally different topic, have you read The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea? Loads of history of your area in the early chapters.

Started reading this great book at 3 in the morning.... Author is an easy read, reminds me of Kurlansky (Salt, Cod, The Basques, The Big Oyster).

AA

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Saw a humming bird at the feeder again today. Hope the little guy heads south pretty soon before he gets caught in our Michigan winter.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Still have about four doing the aerial combat thing around the feeder. Cold fronts are starting to move in so it won't be long before they start south. Got to 50F last night...and supposed to be in the 40s in a few days. Only in the 80s during the day...nice windows open weather.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Still have about four doing the aerial combat thing around the feeder. Cold fronts are starting to move in so it won't be long before they start south. Got to 50F last night...and supposed to be in the 40s in a few days. Only in the 80s during the day...nice windows open weather.

This. They disappear with the first cold fronts here, but since the hurricane stripped away any flowers, they are avoiding the area anyway.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This one's been around for a few weeks. More should be showing up soon. Sorry for the dark pic.

1618967423928.png

I let more mullein come up last year than usual, so that this year (being a biennial most seasons here) there will be more locations for the hummers and area hives (thinking of putting one out) to choose from.
The downy leaf hummingbirds like...
image.jpgimage.jpg

Honeysuckles are setting flower so I expect we’ll be seeing some as soon as it warms a little. Snowed a minute ago.
image.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sometimes yellow jackets like to drink a little bit of the sugar water. At times there is a a little bit of a struggle between the yellow jacket and the hummingbird.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got my feeder out; there's a new type of hummer out there! Has a longer bill than our usual ring necks. Have to try to get a pic.

AA

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Have had my feeder out for weeks...probably too early. I swapped the juice out yesterday morning...come and get it! Fresh juice!

According to the migration maps there have been 2 sightings in Minnesota so I'll probably get my feeder out soon. If it follows the pattern of past years, I still won't see one for another 2-3 weeks. The early wave doesn't seem to stop at my feeder and my first sightings happen when there are dozens of sightings reported, usually mid-May.

Top Bottom