What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw hummers around the neighbor's Confederate Jasmine, put out the feeder. Normally it's only out Sept.-Oct., catching them going the other way, perhaps.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got hummers! Ring-necked, not many.

First time feeding them in spring, for me.

These may be the same crew I sent down to Mexico last October!

AA

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I use the same exact feeder the OP has. We were getting some sporadic activity this year...seemed to me to be a pair...but its gotten quiet. I read somewhere when that happens, they might have gone off to have babies...and they're too preoccupied with feeding their young to hang out at the feeder.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I use the same exact feeder the OP has. We were getting some sporadic activity this year...seemed to me to be a pair...but its gotten quiet. I read somewhere when that happens, they might have gone off to have babies...and they're too preoccupied with feeding their young to hang out at the feeder.
I'm the OP. You may be right about the babies.

JCarr

I'm the OP. You may be right about the babies.

My wife actually found that on the internet...don't have a link. But she Googled it because we were like...what happened to the hummingbirds? We were glad to find that little bit of info. They may come back. Will have to keep the juice fresh so when they're ready it's there for em. I agree with you...absolutely fascinating to watch them.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Only seen three at a time at the feeder this year. They will flit around SWMBOs flowers from time to time.

Couldn't get a pic. of all of them together, but did get one of them around the feeder.

1597282823092.png

JCarr

Our hummingbirds left about two weeks ago...although I did see a new fellow at the feeder last week...didn't recognize the bird...was probably just passing through on his way to warmer weather. We'll keep it up until the end of the month.

I live in south central MN and I just saw one at the feeder. I've seen the occasional turf war at the feeder over the last couple of weeks. I don't think I'll be seeing them for much longer.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
South west Ohio. They're still here, but that should end any day. I've begun to see raptors spiraling south on thermals this week. We're on a major migration route. Within the next 10 days you won't be able to look up without seeing a few. It's pretty cool.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
We get hummingbirds all winter in southern BC. Up the sugar content slightly during cold weather. We insulate the feeder with newspaper so it doesn’t freeze. My wife puts hot shots on the feeder sometimes....she loves those little birds.

Top Bottom