What's new

Hummingbirds and the feeders

Over the last 5 years hummingbirds were first sited in my area around 4-18 to 4-21. People reporting sightings that early in my area must be getting regulars or something because I don't think I've ever seen them at my feeders any earlier than early May, about 2 weeks later. Here we are at those early sighting dates and the hummingbirds haven't even made it into a neighboring state yet. The weather's been pretty crappy here with high temperatures averaging 20 degrees below normal for weeks. We just had over a foot of new snow last week.

I shot this the other day while finishing up the outdoor cat house....
Every time I see a video like this with multiple ruby-throated hummingbirds happily feeding together, I have to wonder to myself why, in the 10 years or so that I've been putting out feeders, our hummingbirds have NEVER tolerated other hummingbirds at their feeder. We'll often have 4 or 5 separate hummingbirds visible within our yard feeding from flowers or a feeder, sitting in a tree, or chasing each other, plus I'm sure countless others that rotate through - and they're all guilty. Males, females, big ones, small ones, even courting ones.

We put out a hanging multi-station hummingbird feeder not too dissimilar to the one in the video above, a multi-station Baltimore oriole feeder (that they also use; esp when the orioles are using theirs), and a window feeder that they absolutely love. But if one hummingbird is happily feeding and another dares approach any other, 10ft away, it'll chase it away and then chase it all over the garden. It's a constant battle at the feeders all summer long. Early September when they're loading up in preparation for migration, it's dangerous to walk around on the backyard deck because of the constant highspeed aerobatic dogfights.

Anyone else experience that?
Anyone had that but then noticed them becoming more tolerant?

During peak times we will have around 10 jockeying for position.... However, there are plenty of fights that are amazing to watch.... Quick little boogers!!!

I finally spotted a Ruby-throated Hummingbird this morning, however briefly.
I've had a feeder out since May 1.
*checking notes for first sightings in previous years*
Looks like they're pretty regular.
2017 - May 10
2016 - May 14
2015 - May 9

I had not seen any hummingbirds for a week or so (yes, keeping the nectar fresh).
The other day I put a bunch of foot-long bamboo stakes with a bit of fluorescent orange flagging tape in a ten-foot grid pattern all over the lawn. This is part of my lawn mowing pattern process (what I call "mowography") that I do at the beginning of each mowing season. This year it will be polka dots.
Then next day I saw a hummingbird(s) make a visit 3 times to the nectar feeder in a few hours.
I'm thinking that the bright flower-like tape attracted them to the yard.
The first sighting of that day happened when I had the feeder inside, rinsing it out at the kitchen sink. I looked out the window and saw it hovering around the feeder pole, which only had a seed feeder up at the time. I imagined him saying "What the hell is this?" just before he flew away.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We only have two birds so far this year; one male and one female so they don't spend much time fighting over the feeder. Not like the 5,6,7 we usually have so they are only around the feeder for about 1/2 to 1 second or so.

I did manage to get this pic. of one. I had the camera manually focused on the feeder and it was a bit further away than that so the focus is off and the light wasn't real good. I had the shutter speed set as fast as it would go and it did catch those fast moving wings at a standstill. Had the camera on burst mode and this is the best pic. that turned out.

DSC_0021 (3).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Had another one show up today so there are three of them fighting over the feeder longer now. A lot easier to get a pic.

DSC_0018 (3).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0018 (3).JPG
    DSC_0018 (3).JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 3
Mike can you set up the camera close to the feeder and remotely trigger it? (While you're waiting to get that telephoto lens).
dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Mike can you set up the camera close to the feeder and remotely trigger it? (While you're waiting to get that telephoto lens).
dave

Nope. It only has a timer for shutter release. Going to have to wait until I get a telephoto lens. Those were taken at the highest zoom the one that came with the camera has...55 mm. I'm looking at something in the 16-300 mm range.

I am surprised the hummingbird is not used more as a mascot. As I learn about those little buggers, the fascination grows. Their migration is herculean.

893B9091-74E9-4D61-AF36-3648E3E51A04.jpeg

Finally caught one on my iPhone in CT. Missed the green and red one. Also watching a bright yellow finch decide if it is safe enough to descend to the birdbath.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 905650
Finally caught one on my iPhone in CT. Missed the green and red one. Also watching a bright yellow finch decide if it is safe enough to descend to the birdbath.

Nice...that looks like a good shot. There was a green and red one here that was laying on the front porch last year. Picked it up and brought it in the air conditioning for a bit (I know, I know) then set it on the front porch railing and after a couple of minutes it flew off. Good thing one of the cats didn't see it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, I definitely saw a hummingbird yesterday, after hanging up a brightly colored decorative pot. I've also had them come buzzing around the brightly colored fletching on my arrows/quiver...

So. Seems early, but now must put out the feeder.... Monarchs must come in October, then. Forgot which migration comes first!

AA

This is the first year that I ever saw two perched on the feeder and feeding at the same time. That lasted all of about 15 seconds before one chased the other one off. I also saw two at a time more than ever this year (in the form of dive bombs and chase aways) so I'm hoping the trend continues and I get more hummingbirds in the coming years. They'll soon be leaving my part of the world.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've definitely got hummers here on the northern gulf coast. Had to make sugar water, couldn't find the mix. A drab green female or two ... Chasing but not ferocious.

AA

Those little guys seem to be pretty territorial around the feeder. I have an ant moat between the hanger and the feeder which is filled with water. The chickadees love to perch on it and drink from it. I've seen a hummingbird chase off a chickadee a few times.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The dogfighting puts the WWII aces to shame!

After I filled the feeder with finger-staining nectar, the aerial ballet became serious. Will try to get some photos ...

AA

I went out to my shed later this afternoon, and left the door open for a bit. When I went back to put my tools up and close up I heard one flying around up in the loft area. It's overcast and was starting to get darker so left the door open with a light in it hoping it would come down and out. No luck, after about an hour of leaving the door open he was still buzzing around up there. I carried a powerful flashlight and started shining toward him and apparently coaxed him up to one of the turbine vents and it seems as though he went out that way. While I was doing all that another tried to come in the door and I managed to shoo it away. Curious little things, I have had them come in there and in my garage and fly around looking at me and everything in there.

Top Bottom