What's new

Hummingbird Swarm!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got up before dawn, looked at the stars.

With daybreak, the hummingbirds - I prefer the Spanish word, Colibris - started swarming the feeder.

Though they appear to fight nonstop, up to four at a time would feed.

ID help requested! Last year I had ring-necked colibris. These have almost fish-scale markings.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

AA

My wife has 3 feeders out and they all are packed like this. They were scarce and army on but have really come along in the last month or 2.

She looked up ours under our state. You may be able to do that as well to see what kind they are.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

ID help requested! Last year I had ring-necked colibris. These have almost fish-scale markings.
AA

Hard to tell. Not much to go on with your photos; mostly silhouettes. Depends on where you live. Hummer diversity starts in the western deserts and go toward the west coast. If you're located anywhere else toward the east coast, the only hummers you'll see are ruby throats. Your clear pictures look like females.

Don

female Calliope Hummingbird stellula calliope
when groups humming birds fly together it's called a "charm of hummingbirds"

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hard to tell. Not much to go on with your photos; mostly silhouettes. Depends on where you live. Hummer diversity starts in the western deserts and go toward the west coast. If you're located anywhere else toward the east coast, the only hummers you'll see are ruby throats. Your clear pictures look like females.

Don

Thanks!

AA

female Calliope Hummingbird stellula calliope
when groups humming birds fly together it's called a "charm of hummingbirds"

The birds are too big and the bills are too long for Calliopes. Where AA lives is the biggest factor in the species.

Don

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I live really close to Lake Erie in Ohio so we see the Ruby's, they have definitely started moving south . We used to have 5or6 every hour or so and now they are down to 2 or 3 every other day , maybe twice a day

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The birds are too big and the bills are too long for Calliopes. Where AA lives is the biggest factor in the species.

Don

Northern gulf coast. They are drinking so much so fast, I have to keep shaking the air bubbles out of the feeder!

AA

^^^

I thought so. Definitely ruby throats. You might see a stray from Mexico if you're in Texas.

You're the jumping off point for their long, and somewhat perilous migration! A lot of them don't make it over the Gulf of Mexico. Feed them well; one part sugar to 4 parts water. No need to use red dye, and for Heaven's sake, don't use artificial sweeteners. Enjoy the show while it lasts.

Don

Ad Astra

The Instigator
^^^

I thought so. Definitely ruby throats. You might see a stray from Mexico if you're in Texas.

You're the jumping off point for their long, and somewhat perilous migration! A lot of them don't make it over the Gulf of Mexico. Feed them well; one part sugar to 4 parts water. No need to use red dye, and for Heaven's sake, don't use artificial sweeteners. Enjoy the show while it lasts.

Don

Thanks! I bought a pound of the mix today!

AA

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[QUOTE="miguel, post: 10371934, member: 74217" [...] when groups humming birds fly together it's called a "charm of hummingbirds"
[/QUOTE]
Miguel:
I didn't know that...thanx for sharing! :thumbsup:

"If you feed them...they will come"! Hummingbird Proverb

proxy.php
"[Hummingbirds] are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain". Doug Soupland

Top Bottom