What's new

Humidor vs Coolidor

I am going to get a fair number of cigars and am wondering if I should get a large Savoy humidor for around $150 or go the cooler or tupperware route. I have heard the cooler method can cause some mold issues with no venting, but I guess I could take the plug out of the bottom? Then the issue of plastic taste leaching into the cigars. Perhaps airing the cooler out every month would solve the plastic smell thing. I think I will keep them at 65 rh or even 62 as mold worries me.

The Savoy requires a recharge of water every two weeks and the Boveda packs last I think 2 months, so some ease of mind with the packs, plus I guess you could throw multiple packs into the cooler and go longer.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have both. A Savoy Executive, A Savoy Classic, a small Tupperware, and some other plastic containers. All of them are “almost” set it and forget it with Boveda packs.

I have the 320g Boveda in the Savoy Executive since it has a holder for them in the lid. I got it back in Janurary and have not changed the Boveda yet. They are perfect still. I’m guessing I won’t have To change them next year either.

I had 2 smaller Boveda (69g?) in the Savoy Classic and I just now changed those. That was just about a year as well.

The small Tupperware has 10 cigars in it with 1 small Boveda (69g?) and that is no where near needing to be changed. I think it’s gotten bigger!

If you use the Boveda, and use enough of them for the size and amount of cigars you have you will not need to change them within 2 months.

As far as the cooler smell, wash it out and let it air out a few days. I don’t exactly have the room to store a large or 2 large coolers. So I just decided to keep a small collection of cigars in my humidors. You can probably get several large coolers + humidification for the price you’d pay for a couple Savoy humidors. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. You want something to look pretty on your desk or dresser? Or you want to hide away a few boxes.

Biggest advice here is whatever you decide to get, go bigger. If you are thinking “I’ll just keep 20-30 cigars” then get something that will hold 100 cigars. Trust me.

Thanks^^ I am going to be getting mostly Padron cigars, any need to freeze them before storing? Any thoughts on Padron in general, I tried Oliva Melanio, Cohiba which were not bad but not Padron level, and will try some Nicaraguan cigars like Cuarto Cinco, Partagas and some others. I am getting the feeling I will not beat the Padron, the others will only offer a change of pace. It seems Nicaraguan are going to be my cigar of choice.

I am smoking the Corticos and like a 20 to 30 minute smoke so I have been chopping them in half. I saw the Panatelas are around the same circumference but will give me a decent 3.4 inch cigar instead of the 2 inch stubbies, burning my fingers trying to get the last of them.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Your location will affect things too. If you are in Florida you might get away with less packs. If you are out in Arizona you might need more.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks^^ I am going to be getting mostly Padron cigars, any need to freeze them before storing? Any thoughts on Padron in general, I tried Oliva Melanio, Cohiba which were not bad but not Padron level, and will try some Nicaraguan cigars like Cuarto Cinco, Partagas and some others. I am getting the feeling I will not beat the Padron, the others will only offer a change of pace. It seems Nicaraguan are going to be my cigar of choice.

I hope someone comes along that knows more but it’s my understanding there is no need to freeze non-Cuban cigars. They are already frozen or they just don’t have any issues with the beetles.

I have Cubans and Non-Cubans and I have not frozen any of them. I hope I‘m not speaking to soon but I haven’t had a problem. This past summer there were more than a few 75+ days in the house.

I leave the cellophane on them too and supposedly if there is an outbreak that will help control it.

Also, don’t limit yourself to just one brand. There are hundreds of great sticks out there. I have a nice assortment. I grab one, smoke it, if I like it I write it down, if I don’t I write it off. Right now I have about 8 that are on my list. IMO it’s good to have a variety of cigars you know you like. You never know where you might be when someone offers you a smoke or the chance arises. They might not have your one go-to cigar, but chances are they will have at least one you are familiar with if you have tried a variety and know what you like.

Don’t freeze your sticks!!

The sun is the best way to get rid of any plastic smell. I’d wash out the cooler or even Tupperware really well and if you’re worried about any smells leave it in the sun for a few days before you set it up for stogie storage.

Bovedas can be re-charged. Many vids on YouTube showing how to do so.

I use the large 2.5 gallon heavy duty freezer bags as a humidor. Never had any issues with them leaking.

Never heard of leaving the cooler plug out. Regardless, the bovedas should do the trick if you go that route.

Wooden humidors look nice, but I got tired of the maintenance and quickly outgrew them.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have both. A Savoy Executive, A Savoy Classic, a small Tupperware, and some other plastic containers. All of them are “almost” set it and forget it with Boveda packs.

I have the 320g Boveda in the Savoy Executive since it has a holder for them in the lid. I got it back in Janurary and have not changed the Boveda yet. They are perfect still. I’m guessing I won’t have To change them next year either.

I had 2 smaller Boveda (69g?) in the Savoy Classic and I just now changed those. That was just about a year as well.

The small Tupperware has 10 cigars in it with 1 small Boveda (69g?) and that is no where near needing to be changed. I think it’s gotten bigger!

If you use the Boveda, and use enough of them for the size and amount of cigars you have you will not need to change them within 2 months.

As far as the cooler smell, wash it out and let it air out a few days. I don’t exactly have the room to store a large or 2 large coolers. So I just decided to keep a small collection of cigars in my humidors. You can probably get several large coolers + humidification for the price you’d pay for a couple Savoy humidors. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. You want something to look pretty on your desk or dresser? Or you want to hide away a few boxes.

Biggest advice here is whatever you decide to get, go bigger. If you are thinking “I’ll just keep 20-30 cigars” then get something that will hold 100 cigars. Trust me.

Lots of wisdom and experience there Bud. You have definitely gone through a lot to get your set up dialed in.

Lots of good ideas, I live in socal near Palm Springs so pretty dry here. I have a boatload of gallon and quart mylar bags and have been keeping the few cigars I have in them. They have not dried out over the two months they have been in them. Maybe a Boveda pack and hydrometer in a bag and open now and then might work if the freezer bags are good to go? The 2.5 gal freezer bags would be even easier to check the humidity and cheap to buy plus the larger size would be nice.

I am leaning towards not going to a conventional humidor based on what I read here. I have read that relighting a cigar that has been sitting for a while is a waste. I think if the time is measured in minutes that might not apply. Meaning the flavor is still quite good. Accidently semi inhaled a puff 'cough cough', can not see anyone inhaling such smoke but I know a few do. Bill Buckley did that and got copd and blamed that for the disease.

Last edited:
If I leave a stogie more than a few hours I usually just get rid of it. Imho it’s all about the journey from first puff to the climax. Cigars change in flavor and profile as they are smoked.

Please only freeze cigars when you see signs of damage and then keep them quarantined away from your main stash. I see the risk of tobacco beetles greatly exaggerated by some far spread incidents shown on the net. If you buy a name brand from a reliable dealer the risk is pretty low. In over 20 years of smoking I only saw those little buggers in fake Esplendidos that were filled with tobacco scraps - the typical stuff they rip off tourists with...

Top Bottom