What's new

HP Vent!

I am so disgusted that I just have to vent! Bought a HP Photosmart printer a couple months ago, and it ended up failing to feed photo paper. I am sure that that can happen. Called HP about four times in an effort to troubleshoot it. Each time the HP representative was hard to understand, and, despite their documentation of the call and the steps taken, each one insisted on repeating the entire process from scratch! Okay, probably being thorough; can't fault that. Finally HP decided I should send them the malfunctioning printer via FedEx and they would send a new one. So I sent the old one in via FedEx who notified me that in due course it was received in Calexico, CA. Today I received email notification that the new one was being sent (today) and an HP www address to get the info. Except the site address didn't work! Took two phone calls to get the correct site and determine the FedEx tracking number. Then plugged the tracking number into the FedEx site to discover that my printer (sent today) had been delivered to someone in Michigan a week ago! Called FedEx who said that this was HP's problem. Called HP again, and the first person I spoke with wanted to troubleshoot the old printer that I no longer have. When I got that settled I got transferred to another person who had no idea what to do, but if I could wait (fifteen minutes) on hold they would transfer me to someone who could help. Unfortunately, that someone had absolutely no idea why my printer was delivered to someone in Michigan a week before it was sent to me. But he is elevating the problem to his "mentor" who isn't in at the moment! I can only hope that I eventually get a replacement printer! I did google Hewlett Packard Calexico and was greeted by a scam report that someone sent in a printer and HP claimed they never received it. I am getting extremely skeptical!!! Thanks! I feel better (a bit) now!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bummer. I've had to deal with HP reps in the past for a RA (return authorization) for my job and I can attest that they are hard to understand. Never had to troubleshoot anything with them though. What you describe does sound like a classic overseas call center scenario.

Did you call the place you got it from before going through all this? Even though it was past the return policy, sometimes....sometimes the store will deal with you. I know I always did just because it's so easy to send anything back to HP when you are a retail store.

the sad truth about printers is that the basic home models are pretty much disposable.

Thanks for the thoughts, Toothpick! Yes, I did contact the place I bought it and they would have been happy to exchange it IF HP would have given me an RA. But HP will only give RAs to commercial accounts, not to individual buyers like me. And, talking with the retailer, I understand why. And yes, it was apparent that in almost every instance I have been on a direct line to India. And I am okay with that; it does make it a little difficult for me to understand over the phone because of the accents. But they have all been very polite - almost to the extreme. And I am certain that individually they are doing a good job. It is just that it is moronic to send me a tracking number for an event that took place even before they had my old printer to an entirely different name and address! And equally moronic to give me a nonexistent website to reference!

If I may make a suggestion for next time, order with a credit card (if you did not this time). When vendors act unreasonable, call your credit card provider and file a chargeback. That is much easier than dealing with an incompetent vendor.

Unsatisfactory product support. Hopefully you will get it sorted out soon, though that will not make up for the lost time and effort!

I was looking at printers over the weekend, trying to understand what was worthy of purchase based on features, price, ink refills, reliability, expected usage patterns, etc. Reminded me of how frustrating printers can be in general.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Unsatisfactory product support. Hopefully you will get it sorted out soon, though that will not make up for the lost time and effort!

I was looking at printers over the weekend, trying to understand what was worthy of purchase based on features, price, ink refills, reliability, expected usage patterns, etc. Reminded me of how frustrating printers can be in general.
Here's what you need to know about printers:

Ink is expensive. One of the most expensive liquids in the world. If you can get away with setting your printer to "draft" mode and only printing in greyscale (only using black ink) then you will save ink and in return money.

Beware of the monthly duty cycle on the printer you buy. Every printer has a suggested monthly duty cycle. For example: a 4,000 page monthly duty cycle means the printer is built and tested to print up to 4,000 pages per month. If you were to print over that every month then you have a higher chance of it breaking on you. Imagine you bought a Kia Rio and drove it peddle to the medal around a race track every day. It's not built for that and chances are high it will break down.

Don't buy features you will never use. Yes the printer has Bluetooth, WiFi, a 5 inch touch screen, memory card reader, double sided printing, email, apps.....but you're only going to use it to print bookkeeping records. Save yourself $200 and buy a basic printer, maybe one with a copier.

Do your research and try to know as much if not more than the salesperson selling you the printer. This way he won't sucker you in to buying something you don't need.

Ink refills......save yourself a headache and don't use them. Instead think of ways to be more cost efficient with manufactures genuine ink cartridges. For instance: draft mode, turning your printer off when not in use, think before you print...do I really need to print this?? I've been on the selling end of ink refills and it's not good, more often than not you get less ink, cheaper ink, and they have a high, high potential to leak. I kid you not 8/10 refilled ink cartridges came back to the store for a refund.

The best way to determine reliability is to ask people you trust what they use, not the salesperson. Manufactures such as HP, Lexmark, Epson will occasionally give an incentive to salespeople that sell their printers, and this is also sponsored by the store. If you got an extra $10 for selling a specific printer would you want a customer to buy anything else? These same manufactures also will throw parties at stores that sell a certain amount of their printers. So be careful about asking "what do you suggest?" Know what you want before you go in.

Ink refills......save yourself a headache and don't use them. Instead think of ways to be more cost efficient with manufactures genuine ink cartridges. For instance: draft mode, turning your printer off when not in use, think before you print...do I really need to print this?? I've been on the selling end of ink refills and it's not good, more often than not you get less ink, cheaper ink, and they have a high, high potential to leak. I kid you not 8/10 refilled ink cartridges came back to the store for a refund.
Do you mean refilling existing cartridges, or using off-brand cartridges instead of the ones sold by the manufacturer?

I've been using third party cartridges for over 5 years (granted, low volume of printing) and I never had a problem with malfunctioning cartridges. However, I could easily understand how refills can get messy.

Hi,

I feel for you! My HP rant is somewhat different:

:RantOn

Bill (Hewlett) and Dave (Packard) are spinning in their graves. If we could tap it, there would be enough energy to power L.A.!

Some bunch of dweebs had the gall to link their good names with a substandard consumer electronics company that has not a fraction of a clue as to what the founders had in mind by way of quality products. I own dozens of HP products, but not one of them is from the makers of 'PC' stuff. Ugh.

Why Oh Why did they not keep the HP nameplate on the instruments where it originated and call the PC stuff something else?? Heck, the PC division dweebs do not even know what their logo represents! It is an oscilloscope with the h p being the trace on the screen, BTW.

:RantOff

Stan

Thanks guys!! HP hasn't called me back or emailed like they said they would, but I am feeling better! Intend to call their "customer service" tonight to have another round with them.

well..I dont know much about photo printers other than the paper paper thats used and should showup perfectly....
Canon gives HP a good run for their money and features as well.....

I don't have anything against people in Indian call centers but more often than not anymore I request to speak with someone in America. It makes life so much simpler, has less hassle, & saves me sooo much stress.

Just got on the HP Customer Support site, and looks as though my new printer is, in fact, enroute with FedEx. Perhaps it will get her tomorrow. Hoping! Not that I need it tomorrow; just would like to get it in my hands!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Do you mean refilling existing cartridges, or using off-brand cartridges instead of the ones sold by the manufacturer?

I've been using third party cartridges for over 5 years (granted, low volume of printing) and I never had a problem with malfunctioning cartridges. However, I could easily understand how refills can get messy.
I'm talking about refilling existing cartridges. remanufactured cartridges are not that bad and IMO are better than a refill by a long shot, but still not as good as a branded HP, Epson, ect. cartridge.

Another point to keep in mind is that when you purchase the genuine HP, Brother, Epson, ect. cartridges you get a brand new printhead with each one, as opposed to a refill that has already had 500+ pages printed with the printhead. Except of course when your printer takes ink tanks instead of ink cartridge, in which case many places do not refill ink tanks.

Hi,

I feel for you! My HP rant is somewhat different:

:RantOn

Bill (Hewlett) and Dave (Packard) are spinning in their graves. If we could tap it, there would be enough energy to power L.A.!

Some bunch of dweebs had the gall to link their good names with a substandard consumer electronics company that has not a fraction of a clue as to what the founders had in mind by way of quality products. I own dozens of HP products, but not one of them is from the makers of 'PC' stuff. Ugh.

Why Oh Why did they not keep the HP nameplate on the instruments where it originated and call the PC stuff something else?? Heck, the PC division dweebs do not even know what their logo represents! It is an oscilloscope with the h p being the trace on the screen, BTW.

:RantOff

Stan

I had to look up the company name, but I was also surprised when the traditional HP product line was spun out and called Agilent, while the HP name was misappropriated and given to the new PC company.

Top Bottom