What's new

How's a Gillette Senator shave?

Picking one of these up as it is my father's birth year. Curious how it will shave in comparision to my Weber/Edwin Jagger (this will be my first vintage razor!). Any input/advice?

I've got a Senator in my regular rotation, and I love it. I know some folks find them to be more aggressive, but I don't really and I don't really like highly aggressive razors. Maybe it's just a good match for my shaving style, but for me it's really a pretty easy shaver. I think I'd have to work pretty hard to get a bad shave out of it. It's very light and nimble, and the open comb makes it nicer for blade buffing if I'm going for super smooth.

I have a Sheraton & a Senator. It is the strangest thing. If you lay them side by side, you can't tell a difference other than the color. However, the Sheraton is one of the smoothest shavers I've ever used. After using a 3 piece for so long it's huge, but smooth. The Senator just isn't to me. I can't get the BBS shave of a Sheraton. I can't explain it. Maybe one of the more learned scholars on B&B has a theory?:confused1

Finally got this in and had my first shave with it this morning - in short, I'm a fan!

This little bugger is aggressive, but the small size/light-weight design allows for a very-easy no pressure shave! Also, makes it very maneuverable, easy to work around the nose, etc.

This one shave is making me rethink modern, heavy razors/handles! Might be selling my Weber....

Top Bottom