What's new

Howdy

Hi guys!

I'm Cameron and I am pretty young and I just got into wet shaving. I don't have a lot of facial hair (I get most on my upper lip than my sides or neck). Because of quarantine I just did my first wet shave today and has been a month lone crusade of research to find the right products. I already had a DE razor, I bought a parker boar brush, a small-ish bowl, some pre-shave oil, an alum block, and I already had witch hazel + aftershave. I couldn't find a soap or a cream I really liked so I ended up going with Billy Jealousy shave cream, and I kinda liked it.

I know when you first get into wet shaving you hear all about 'the experience' and how it's a ritual, etc, and wow, like wow, I understand why. After showering and doing all of my normal stuff, shaving took about 35 minutes and I have never experienced a closer shave. I came from Harry's 5-blade cartridge razor, and I have fallen in love with wet shaving from my first pass.

Although, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting a good lather, like it works fine and all and it was a good shave overall (with one a single, small nick near my nose!) but I feel I'm getting the ratio wrong. Any tips? Also, on my third pass, when I would shave I would feel almost nothing. The blade would just catch the lather and that was it. What causes that, how to fix it, etc etc.

Anyways, I just wanted to share and join the community.

Have a great day all.

Howdy Cameron.
I can't help with the lather part (still trying to perfect my own) but a nick in the mustache area is common. It can be prevented after some practice, but it's not a big deal.
Welcome :)

Welcome toB&B, Cameron. If you post a photo of your lather and describe the process you use that would be a big help.

Cameron, Howdy back. The lather will get better but to help it along use more product (soap) and then slowly add more water. I looked like I lost a fight with a roving band of Samurai after my first few shaves so I think your doing great. Take your time and the technique will just develop.

Welcome to B&B.
Although, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting a good lather, like it works fine and all and it was a good shave overall (with one a single, small nick near my nose!) but I feel I'm getting the ratio wrong. Any tips? Also, on my third pass, when I would shave I would feel almost nothing. The blade would just catch the lather and that was it. What causes that, how to fix it
The lather should have a shine to it if correctly hydrated; if it looks dull it is too dry. A couple of practice lathers will soon put you on the right track.
With regard to your third pass, blade angle is probably your problem. Coming from a cartridge I would think your angle is too steep. Move that handle at least 45 degrees from the face and you will be near the correct angle. The Shave Wiki is down at the moment but these illustrations may help;
shallow angle.jpg
steep angle.jpg

Welcome aboard, Cameron! Lather can be tricky, for sure. I'll echo the advice above. Load your brush, and then slowly add a small amount of water. Whip for a bit. If it's still too pasty, add another small amount of water. Whip for a bit. Etc. It's always easier to add more water than it is to get more soap into a soupy mixture.

What razor are you using?

Welcome. Don't worry, you will get much better at this with practice.

The thing with lather is to remember:
lots of product + lots of water = lots of lather

It sounds like you may not have loaded enough product. Your lather should be wet and slick, wiithout a lot of air bubbles; it doesn't matter too much what it looks like, it's all about the performance. I'm sure you will get it.

sun-rays.jpg

Welcome aboard!

Two tips helped with my lather:
#1. More product!
#2. More water!

If you provide more details about what you are doing, then we could provide more suggestions.

Welcome to B&B!

As the others have stated, load it like you hate it and use plenty of water till you get the lather you want.

Top Bottom