What's new

Howdy

Greetings all,

I just got into DE shaving about a month ago. I found this site about 2 weeks ago and have been reading some of the posts and reviews; it seems like a great community.

My story:
It all started last month when I saw a special for the Amazon Dorco Prime TTO set for $20 and this weekend I have purchased a Maggard MR5 with an OC(V2) and MingShi 2000S from Maggards.
I also purchased 10 different types of blades so I can try a variety with each to find what works.

I am obviously still working on my technique. In my Dorco, I have had some Dorco platinum (didn't like them), Feathers, Personnas and Astra SP but the Astra gave me some razor burn, same with the Personnas. I have liked the black/gray boxed Feathers the best with the Dorco TTO razor. Hoping for something different with my new razors and blades that are coming in this week.
BTW, my beard is very rough and thick and I have sensitive skin.

Kindly,
TWBW

Welcome to B&B.
You may wish to re-visit the Astra SP and Personna blades when your technique improves as they are generally considered to be good blades. With sensitive skin good preparation and technique are very important. Stick with same razor and soap / cream for a few months as you improve your technique.

Hello and welcome, TWBW. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Welcome to B&B.
You may wish to re-visit the Astra SP and Personna blades when your technique improves as they are generally considered to be good blades. With sensitive skin good preparation and technique are very important. Stick with same razor and soap / cream for a few months as you improve your technique.

Hello Invicta,
Thanks for the advice. I was going to go nuts with lots of "shave stuff" but I will hold off until I improve my technique.
I bought the Astra and Personna because so many people praise them, I am sure it is my lack of skill that is the problem.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks, xxvaleria. Glad to be here.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you, BigJ

Hello and welcome, TWBW. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

BSAGuy, thanks for the kind welcome. I will check out the Hall of Fame. Cheers.

Welcome to B&B.
Thank you, ackvil.

Welcome to B&B.
Thanks, matwho.

Welcome to B&B! I would definitely take Invicta's advice and stick with the same combination and work on your technique. With sensitive skin the prep work is ultra important. With a coarse beard consider shaving after a warm shower. I like to use a preshave oil however I would wait til you're comfortable with your technique.
Cheers
Stan

Welcome to B&B! I would definitely take Invicta's advice and stick with the same combination and work on your technique. With sensitive skin the prep work is ultra important. With a coarse beard consider shaving after a warm shower. I like to use a preshave oil however I would wait til you're comfortable with your technique.
Cheers
Stan

Stan,

Thanks for the affirmation. My last few shaves have just been "sink prepped" with no shower. My other shaves were after showers. That would make sense as to why the Feather blades felt better; I had showered before using them.

For prep, I do have some Proraso green pre-shave that I have been using and I just got some Maggard oil but I will hold off on that until I get a better technique.
I went a little wild with the "newbie" purchases. ie. GAS.
As you may know, Gear Acquisition Syndrome is real and can be hard to control. Especially for someone entering a hobby or new interest.

Kindly,
TWBW

Top Bottom