What's new

How would you describe the smell of Old Spice?

Old Spice?!
If not for Old Spice, I might not be alive!!

old spice proraso oct 21 2013.jpg

Supposedly Soap Commander "Endurance" is a more faithful copy of the Shulton version. I don't know, it's been a long time since I've smelled the Shulton version, but Endurance immediately brings me back to what my grandparents' bathroom smelled like. I actually don't mind the way the modern version smells but it is definitely different and also weaker.

I'm usually pretty good at identifying individual notes in fragrances but I have to say on the chart Phil posted above, the base notes are the only ones I can really identify in either version of OS and not all of them, even.

My simple take on Old Spice would be a very spicy amber with a touch of vanilla scent.
There are other notes, of course. But going on memory and my 1993 bottle, that's my take.

I was in the grocery today where they sell the current Old Spice aftershave. I swear, I could barely smell anything in the current formula. I'm glad I have a generous vintage supply where Old Spice smells like Old Spice!

I was in the grocery today where they sell the current Old Spice aftershave. I swear, I could barely smell anything in the current formula. I'm glad I have a generous vintage supply where Old Spice smells like Old Spice!
Ive heard this before. I dont find that but doesnt seem to last as long as the Shulton did. Could be my old smeller.

I've been using Old Spice Original scent anti- perspirant/deodorant for like 2 decades. I also have the after shave. I can't describe the scent exactly. I just smell a creamy, musky & vanilla type scent that smells like nostalgia.
It's hard to pinpoint!
The only other scent that was similar to me, was Canoe. That one was used by my Grandfather!
All I know is that I won't use anything else (for deodorant).

I've been using Old Spice Original scent anti- perspirant/deodorant for like 2 decades. I also have the after shave. I can't describe the scent exactly. I just smell a creamy, musky & vanilla type scent that smells like nostalgia.
It's hard to pinpoint!
The only other scent that was similar to me, was Canoe. That one was used by my Grandfather!
All I know is that I won't use anything else (for deodorant).
If I remember right, Avon had an OS knock off but they had versions of most popular aftershaves. Tai Winds was a good one.

If I remember right, Avon had an OS knock off but they had versions of most popular aftershaves. Tai Winds was a good one.
I don't recall. All I ever used from Avon was a roll on deodorant that I remember my Aunt buying me in the late 80's. It was called "24 something"! I can't remember the exact name. And I remember it had a powdery/soapy smell. Kind of like the Ban Roll on from that era. Probably a copy of Ban!
But it smelled pleasant!

Ahhh…. The old Shulton version was superb. It had a musky vanilla cinnamon clove anise spice scent that lasted for hours (or so it seemed to me as a late teen). Back in the 1970s I would splash that stuff on me in copious amounts before going out on a date.

Today’s version is much different than the old version. It’s like they took out much of what made the old version great and limited the scent to last no more than 15 minutes.

I don't recall. All I ever used from Avon was a roll on deodorant that I remember my Aunt buying me in the late 80's. It was called "24 something"! I can't remember the exact name. And I remember it had a powdery/soapy smell. Kind of like the Ban Roll on from that era. Probably a copy of Ban!
But it smelled pleasant!
I remember Wild Country aftershave. It was pretty good.

Does anyone wonder how much the old stuff may have changed over all these years? I've got like 5 bottles of old stuff from various eras and it all smells the same yet different. I've always figured that like pretty much any product, fragrances will change over the years. More concentrated perhaps, maybe slightly off, whatever. I mentioned taking a whiff of a new bottle a few days ago and found it so mild as to be pointless. Very little fragrance and my hooter works very well still. Ask my family. ;)

Many will likely mention Avon's "Spicy" as Avon's Old Spice clone. I'll admit "Spicy" is close, but sweeter to me. Avon really came VERY close with "Brisk Spice". That stuff is almost exactly the same.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Many will likely mention Avon's "Spicy" as Avon's Old Spice clone. I'll admit "Spicy" is close, but sweeter to me. Avon really came VERY close with "Brisk Spice". That stuff is almost exactly the same.
I have to try that! Been too cheap and afraid of the War Department to pull the trigger...

Top Bottom