What's new

How Would You Compare Charcoal Goods Level 3

I get along very well with aggressive razors and sharp blades, and find my timeless.95 to be very efficient. That being said would you say the feel of the CG Level 3 is closer to the Timeless .95 or the RazoRock Game Changer .84? It would be great to hear some details!

Thank you!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I get along very well with aggressive razors and sharp blades, and find my timeless.95 to be very efficient. That being said would you say the feel of the CG Level 3 is closer to the Timeless .95 or the RazoRock Game Changer .84? It would be great to hear some details!

Thank you!

I find the CG Brass Level 3 (Gen1) more aggressive than the Timeless 0.95 or the RazoRock GC84-P.

Just got a CG Stainless Level 3 (Gen 2) baseplate today. Plan on shaving with it on Tuesday (after Single Edge Sunday and Micromatic Monday ;)) and will be happy to provide additional feedback on the Gen 2 then. :)

I find the CG Brass Level 3 (Gen1) more aggressive than the Timeless 0.95 or the RazoRock GC84-P.

Just got a CG Stainless Level 3 (Gen 2) baseplate today. Plan on shaving with it on Tuesday (after Single Edge Sunday and Micromatic Monday ;)) and will be happy to provide additional feedback on the Gen 2 then. :)
I am definitely waiting to hear about it!

I havent tried any CG razor but have read from multiple users that the CG 3 is one of the most aggresive of the modern razors, closest to the 2011 R41. People usually rank it (from most to least aggresive):

charcoal goods L3 > ATT H1 > blackbird > timeless 95 > game changer 84

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am definitely waiting to hear about it!

Shave 20200526
20200526_134848~2.jpg

Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Cap and Handle, Stainless Level 3 Gen 2 Plate
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Hardly any touch-up needed.

In retrospect, I really didn't need the second (off angle) XTG pass.

DFS++ with one nick (caught what's left of a mole just below the left corner of my mouth), no weepers, cuts or irritation.

Efficient, exacting and unforgiving. Demands your attention. Not scary at all, though. Good technique rewards you with an excellent shave.

I really like this razor. Definitely staying in the rotation and highly recommended.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I loved this razor but sold it for some reason. If anyone is finding it too aggressive, shoot me a PM.

something about the sound it makes as it decimates the whiskers on your face.

The level 3 is an amazing shaver. To me, it is very smooth while being extremely efficient without feeling overly aggressive. There is some blade feel to it but it’s not overkill. I could compare its efficiency to the R41 while being quite a bit smoother.

I have a lvl. 2 and 3 open comb plate. The 2 is efficient and moderately aggressive. The 3 is pretty aggressive. I use it occasionally but generally prefer the lvl. 2. Although a different style of shave, I’d rate the 3 as being up there with R41s and the like.

Shave 20200526
View attachment 1105350
Razor: Charcoal Goods Brass Cap and Handle, Stainless Level 3 Gen 2 Plate
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Hardly any touch-up needed.

In retrospect, I really didn't need the second (off angle) XTG pass.

DFS++ with one nick (caught what's left of a mole just below the left corner of my mouth), no weepers, cuts or irritation.

Efficient, exacting and unforgiving. Demands your attention. Not scary at all, though. Good technique rewards you with an excellent shave.

I really like this razor. Definitely staying in the rotation and highly recommended.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
Spot on. My experience as well. Brian advised the lvl 3 was not a daily driver. I have the lvl 2 and 3. IMHO, the .95 is similar to the lvl 2 in terms of aggressiveness, while the 3 is much more aggressive. I sold the Timeless and kept the CGs.

In order of blade feel
Ikon Tech
CG 3 OC
R41
Fatip MK1
Rocca/Dart/Blackbird
GC Jaws
Timeless .95 OC
ATT H2
GC .84

Top Bottom