What's new

How will using bottled water affect a humidor?

Well, getting humidor Solution or distilled water where I'm currently at is damn near impossible, and expensive at best. I recently re-filled the humidor beads with some bottled water just so we had something in there. What would be the effects of using bottled water long-term?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well, getting humidor Solution or distilled water where I'm currently at is damn near impossible, and expensive at best. I recently re-filled the humidor beads with some bottled water just so we had something in there. What would be the effects of using bottled water long-term?
dz1087:
As a 'old' :wheelchair: soldier / 'lifer' and cigar smoker, being 'deployed' can be a 'beyatch', but if you can't get ahold of distilled, the bottled is your water of choice. But, by all means...stay clear of humidifier solution.

Keep in mind that most conventional thinking / wisdom is that Humidification Beads have an indefinite life span. There is nothing to wear out and all that is needed to maintain them is either the addition of distilled water or the drying out of the beads if they become water logged.

However, (and this being a very important consideration), anything other than distilled water will ultimately ruin the beads. All the impurities in tap water (and we should assume in bottled water also), will be drawn in by the beads and remain there. Ultimately the beads will get plugged up and not work anymore. The same is true with any type of humidifier solution (also known as 50/50 solution) this will also ruin the beads in the long run.

The only solution for you is to keep 'vigilant' in regard to humidity levels which should be at 68-72%. At 'drastic' changes should cause you to 'change' your Beads. :thumbup:

Christopher :c2:

How long do you think it would take to ruin the beads? Buying a new set every year would not be a problem with as many cigar smokers we have using that humidor. FWIW, it's a 200 stick, glass upright with seven drawers.

Instead of spending a ton of cash on heartfelt beads or something like them, find some unscented silica cat litter. You can get a 12 lb. bag for around $20. I have been using it for 3 years and my humidity stays at 65% +/-2 and I spray the beads down every 2 months or so (this is for a wine cooler humi), I use around 2 lbs. of beads with oust fans to keep air circulating and there is probably around 10 or so boxes and 4 trays of singles(40-60 in each tray).
Now for an answer to your question about using bottled water vs. distilled:
Mineral buildup will occur in your humidification device and you will have to change it out often, you will also get mineral buildup/deposits on the inside of you humidor and you will probably see a slight increase in plume like dust (but not plume) on your cigars from the minerals in tap/bottled water. If distilled water is unavailable I would recommend to do a google search on how to make your own and go from there.

Ah, the beads I was talking about were just those that come in the kit from Thompson. This is by no means a high-end humidor. It's a deployed "We don't want to smoke kindling" humidor. No equipment to distill out here either, and if there was, we damn sure wouldn't be making water:biggrin1:

Cigars only sit in this guy for about a month or two anyway, I'm not getting the feeling that any of the bad juju would happen in that amount of time from using bottled water.

Top Bottom