What's new

How were YOU converted?

As a sister thread to "How many have you converted?", lets share our own stories of how we were converted.

My conversion story:
I was a 43 year old long time cart and canned foam shaver. I hated shaving and knew jack about how to shave well. If I could get away with it, I would run around with stubble and use the cart only when I started itching.

In my job, I work with university students. Specifically, I was in charge of a Spring Break service project to El Salvador. On the trip, I walked into the bathroom where our guy students were staying and I see this spread of "old fashioned" shaving gear. Intrigued, I had to take a closer look at this cool retro metal razor thing, and the fancy Italian shave cream, and the super cool shaving brush.

With my curiosity peaked, I yelled out to the guys on the trip and said "who owns all this cool retro shaving stuff?". In response, a Senior music performance major by the name of Nathan popped up and said, "oh, that stuff is mine". He came over and told me about it, and said I should look into it for myself. He said it was a lot more fun than the modern way of shaving and that it was a lot cheaper too. He told me about the cost of the blades, and showed me how to make real shaving cream. He also told me to check out a couple websites (The Art of Manliness and mantic59) to learn more.

Once I got home, I started looking online and learning stuff. I quickly purchased some Astra blades and a couple old Gillettes off ebay (Flairtip TTO and Tech). I snagged some ARKO sticks/creams from tulumba.com. And, a terrible boar brush from VDH (later to be replaced by an Omega Boar)

I was hooked, and the rest is history. Thanks Nathan! Oh, and by the way, DE shaving is not cheaper! :wink2:

I got hooked on the Rick Harrison Micro Touch One commercial. Started looking at vintage Gillettes on ebay, found this site and it was off to the races.

Stumbled onto this site one day . I figured there was no way I was the only one suffering from cartridge burn. I didn't know how correct I was.

I got hooked the same way as BSAGuy. I was visiting a friend in Tucson, AZ last February and found the "As Seen on TV" section at the local Walmart store. They were selling Rick Harrison's Micro Touch One razors. Ten minutes later I was leaving the store with my first DE razor.

After a week or so of shaving with my new razor I did a search of internet websites that discussed shaving with DE razor. I then started lurking on this site. Eventually I registered and started to actively participate in the group forums.

Last edited:
I was not "converted." When I started shaving the only options were: straight razor, DE or SE razor and electric. I chose DE.

I was talking to my wife about how cool it would be to wet shave. Low and behold Christmas 2013 I received a luxury VDH kit and a merkur 34c. I was doomed with the AD's after that haha

Walked into aos in Vegas, came back home and did some research which led me to this site. Haven't looked back since trying the de.

My parents gave me a refurbished Norelco for Christmas when I was 14. I hated it. Found a three piece DE my father wasn't using and started using that. Went away to college and somewhere along the way started using disposables and carts. Switched back and forth between canned foams and gels and drugstore boar brush and drugstore shaving soap, and always bought the next Gillette cart razor that came on the market. Fast forward 35-40 years and I decide as much as I like the Fusion I don't like the price of cartridges, so I buy an EJ DE89 and some blades and start using a DE again.

So I converted myself, strayed from the path, then found my way back on my own.

There was an article on Fark about the some shaving product, and in the comments thread, quite a few people mentioned that they didn't use the cartridge stuff, and that they used DE stuff and posted a couple of pictures. I searched Amazon for DE products and ended up with a Parker 22R, a Tweezerman brush, and a tub of TOBS Sandlewood (which got tossed by a TSA agent about two months later).

I was talking to my wife about how cool it would be to wet shave. Low and behold Christmas 2013 I received a luxury VDH kit and a merkur 34c. I was doomed with the AD's after that haha

That's a cool story...great wife but does she realize she sent you on the road to financial ruin?

Saw the Micro Touch One commercial back in March and that made me aware that old school safety razors were an option but I wasn't really all that interested. Towards the end of June I ran out of whatever disposable I was using and accidentally grabbed the wrong ones at the store. Felt like I was repeatedly scraping sharpened fingernails across my face. Figured that was a good time to switch and I bought a few things to get started.

It took me two tries. My first attempt lasted about two months in my effort to save money, but I couldn't get the technique down after using carts my whole life. My first attempt was an EJ 89 but I still used the canned gel.

After I bought a Fusion and used it for a year, I was fed up enough with the price of the carts, I dug around and found the EJ in the back of the drawer to give it another go. For the second go-round, my wife bought me an AOS package, and someone else introduced me to an alum block. So I stuck with it, finally got my technique down so I'm not using the alum block anymore, and learned to enjoy shaving. It's debatable if I've saved any money, but after acquiring 4 razors and two brushes my purchases are way down the past 6 months!

Friend of mine an I were looking into cheaper options for shaving (he is frugal and point out waisted money)He went DE - I went with a shave club. Both were cheap, his looked better, mine was a cheap plastic handle compared to his all metal Merker; so bought an old Gillette Atra that the shave club blades would work on. His still looked more manly, more fun and was cheaper. Switch to DE, now we were tied (unless you count all the money I spent to catch up). Fast forward a few months and I'm using a Straight Razor. So far per shave I'm in the lead (no blades, defiantly a one up on the man factor in my book) - he won't even touch a Straight yet.

Back in 1990 I got tired of irritation carts and canned foam so my father gave me his Gillette SS. After a few days of using a traditional DE I bought some Williams soap then a cheap brush. I quickly found out shaving didn't have to irritate me and that was the beginning of my journey.

Another of the not converted here - I started with DE, despite the fact that it was the early 80's when I started shaving. First razor was a 60's Superspeed that my dad gave me. Been DE shaving ever since, with some periods of electric shaving.

In February 2014, my wife and I were cleaning out her late mom's (old age and long severe illness) home in the Cleveland area. We found her late dad's Gillette Tech Ball razor in a dresser drawer. Her dad's health declined to the point that one of his medications could have caused a fatal blood loss if he severely cut himself shaving, so the razor was set aside. The razor was dirty, but cleaned up nicely. The next day I bought some generic double edged blades at a Giant Eagle store, and shaved for the first time in 40+ years using a razor and DE blade.

After we returned to Garland, I discovered West Coast Shaving and shortly thereafter Badger & Blade. I now have two more double edge razors, four shaving soap pucks, three brushes and four aftershaves. The DE bug has taken hold, and I don't want it to let go.

I saw "How it's Made" and the episode was how they built a Merkur Vision razor. I was intrigued and began doing research on traditional shaving. There's no going back for me!

After a haircut I asked my barber what the brush with the talc was for. He responded it was to help prevent irritation. I did a little research and read a few guys used talc for this reason . I had been dealing with irritation because I shave everyday. So I went to Sally's beauty supply for a brush and some pinaud talc. They were out of the talc but I noticed a weird but cool razor. I asked the lady behind the counter about it and she said it was a razor that you can just buy replacement blades for. I asked how kuch the blades were. she said $5 for ten. What a deal!!! I thought. They were out of the blades but she insisted that the blades were widely available so I gambled on the $10 and bought it. Needless to say I tore my face up pretty bad the first two times. I then youtubed how to use the razor and saw everyone using a shaving brush. The rest is history. To make things clear, I was correct. I am still saving money on blades.

Top Bottom