What's new

How Were You Converted To Wet Shaving

I was in Wal-Mart buying cartridges for my Mach 3 and it wasn't my regular Wal-Mart and they were locked up and had to have someone with a key get me the cartridges and the lady commented that these were high theft items and like gold. And I really thought about that and said that just makes no sense.

I thought about joining the dollar shave club and almost did but as I was looking at YouTube vidoes for the DSC I saw a another video for DE shaving. I didn't even know it existed anymore other than remembering my Grandfather's DE Razor and opening the barn doors and closing them in the bathroom and thinking that was the coolest thing. Through that video I discovered this whole underworld of shaving that I never knew existed! I ended up watching many many videos on it, distinctly remember Geofatboy's tutorials and The Art of Manliness' video on How to Shave Like your Grandpa which was hilarious and I was hooked, I will post the link if you haven't seen it. There is a line in there talking about cartridge shaving and the narrator says, "you'd be better off raking your face with a rusty butter knife and some kerosene!" I died, and thought I better research some of these razors and settled on the Merkur 34c HD and will NEVER go back to cartridge shaving again, so much better.

An original quest to save money has probably cost me a lot more though, my wife says I have gotten the disorder Geofatboy talks about, RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) which also includes accessories!! It is pretty much a hobby now, even starting to get into the straight razor shaving. Love it!

If you haven't seen this hilarious video you have to watch it!
How to Shave Like Your Grandpa

Was on a trip to Germany and realized I'd forgotten my razor. Went out to the supermarket and bought the cheapest I could find as a stopgap - a Gillette plastic DE razor plus 5 blades for around €5 as far as I recall. Shave wasn't great, but it did the job. And it got me thinking........
I can't imagine going back to cartridges and aerosol cans.

I'm like Jim, when I started shaving there was only two options Electric and traditional wet shaving. I tried electric didn't like them then I moved on to traditional razors, then I started shaving with cartridge razors and picked up about every new bell or whistle that came up. Last year I started thinking about retirement, my beard seemed to be tougher so I started looking for a better way. The cartridges were only lasting about 3 shaves. I found a Parker twist to open razor on the internet, I bought it and Blade sampler I cut my face pretty good and then found Badger and Blade. I had a two month learning curve and it's been great since then. I would like to thank the folks on this forum for all the coaching I got early on, they have been very helpful and supportive.

I had tried everything over the years and eventually settled into a routine using a Gillette Mach 3. Feeling somewhat unsatisfied with my shaving experiences, I added a brush along with a puck of Williams into the routine. This renewed my interest in wet shaving. I then found an old Gillette Slim that belonged to my father and began alternating that into the routine with my Mach 3. Over time both the Mach 3 and the Slim were given up for a new Merkur 34HD, which opened the gateway. Now I am awash in equipment and product.

Top Bottom