What's new

How Well Do You Know You Razors?

So, got a new razor in the mail today. Thought it would be fun to place it beside another recent purchase, post them together and have everyone guess which one is the real deal Single Ring. Sorry, no prizes for the winners. :biggrin1:
IMG_3030.JPG

The farthest is "the real McCoy." The top cap guides on the nearer one seem a little too large, and the handle seems a little too fat (though that might be a rare Bull Dog handle?).

So, got a new razor in the mail today. Thought it would be fun to place it beside another recent purchase, post them together and have everyone guess which one is the real deal Single Ring. Sorry, no prizes for the winners. :biggrin1: View attachment 1104878
You all nailed it!! The furthest away (on original post pic) is... the real deal single ring. First pic below, right one is the single ring, bottom 2 pics the left razor is the single ring.
The clone is a darn close match tho. For me the only give away's are the pointy-ness of the lugs and on closer inspection the teeth, thread end, rotational handle length.
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3056.JPG
IMG_3058.JPG

When the Gillette patent expired, Germany jumped in with numerous clones. Rotbart stamped their name on all their razors, but others didn't.
This is one of the Unknown Germans. It also has 14 teeth It's a pretty aggressive shave:
German Single Ring.jpg

Last edited:
When the Gillette patent expired, Germany jumped in with numerous clones. Rotbart stamped their name on all their razors, but others didn't.
This is one of the Unknown Germans. It also has 14 teeth It's a pretty aggressive shave:
View attachment 1105351
The one I have seems to be very well built. I hate to say it but better than the Gillette? It has a slight bend on the bottom plate though and the blade does not sit straight on the one side. Don't know if that's fixable.
IMG_2895.JPG

Top Bottom