What's new

How was your first year of retirement?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Vacation, yes. To live no! Too long out of the home country - going on 27 years next June. Would be hard to re-integrate, and then my wife is, as you know, American. So its much easier to stay here when home is now.
I assumed so, Rudy. It would be very expensive to move the horses to Germany.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Vacation, yes. To live no! Too long out of the home country - going on 27 years next June. Would be hard to re-integrate, and then my wife is, as you know, American. So its much easier to stay here when home is now.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Germany. Berlin, Dresden and a lot of time in Zittau, across the border from Bogatynia, Poland.

Terrible. A forced circumstance, compounded by having a partner who wanted to keep working so travel and moving house were not options, my family are also thousands of miles away so I couldn't make myself useful in that direction.

I thought about a new job but going from having a high salary and an exciting management job to a very small salary was just not going to happen.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That's pretty good!
A little research shows this song was written by Ron Angel of Cleveland, UK about his time at the ICI Chemical Plant in the early 60's, and later performed by him and the Tees-side Fettlers on their Traditional Sound Recording album Ring of Iron. Originally it was titled "The ICI Song"

Ron Angel said:
"I worked in the huge ICI Chemical Plants in Teesside for 10 years (1956—66), in Terylene & Nylon Works at Wilton and making fertilizer and cyanide at Billingham. My father worked all his life at Billingham ICI, down the anhydrite mine and used to have nightmares about the dust killing him. He died at 62, a few months after being brought home sick from work. That was fifteen years ago and I still miss him. I don't know if dedications are corny or not, but if you allow them I'd like to dedicate this song to my dad, Billy Angel.

The song was written about three years before I left ICI, through redundancy. I was experiencing ill—health and had applied to come off shift work, which I felt might be responsible; together with the fumes and excessive noise. On day work, in an office, I immediately improved. I hated every day I worked there and my redundancy, though it brought its own problems, felt like a release from prison."
Source: Sing Out! Magazine, Volume 29, Number 3 (1983), pages 52-53

The lyrics for the hard of hearing are:

A process man am I and I'm telling you no lie,
I work and breath among the fumes that trail across the sky.
There's thunder all around me and a poison in the air,
There's a lousy smell that smacks o’ hell and dust all in my hair.

Chorus (after each verse, twice at the end):
And it's go boys go!
They'll time your every breath.
And every day you're in this place
You're two days nearer death.
But you go!

I've worked among the spinners, I've breathed in the oily smoke,
I’ve shovelled up the gypsum and it nigh on makes you choke.
I've stood knee deep in cyanide, been sick with a caustic burn,
Been working rough and seen enough to make your stomach turn.

There's overtime and bonus opportunity galore.
The young lads like the money and they all come back for more.
But soon you're knocking on and you look older than you should,
For every bob made on this job you’ll pay with flesh and blood.
Was true for a LOT of people in that "Greatest Generation"....

My health forced me to retire. Looking back, I honestly don't think I would ever have retired. I loved being a nurse; it was WAY too much my life, but honestly, I don't know how or if I could have done it differently. Not and be as good at it as I had to be.

Cutting hair was easy to give up. No life and death to deal with, hence no adrenaline required, lol.

The first 18 months to 2 years I hated everything and everyone and everyday of retirement. Money wasn't the issue; it was between my ears.

I think if my health had held out I would have always found an excuse to keep werkin'. But my wife and I are enjoying being able to travel. So long story short: in order for ME to enjoy retirement I HAD to go out like I did.

Lol: DO NOT BE LIKE ME!

I turn 66 and 4 months in December and that is the second decision point in my pre-retirement journey. That's when I'm eligible for the U.S. Government's Social Security Benefit Program. The first was determined by if the company I work for was awarded the DoD contract I current support. If it didn't, I wasn't going to follow it to the next contractor. A moot point. We got the contract. Three more years of work...should I choose.

And that's where I'm at. Thinking about retiring. Soon. I don't think for a second I'll regret retiring. I'm just scared by all the uncertainty.

After the first six months, I thought retirement was wonderful. I was relaxed, did what I wanted, and adjusted well. At the one year point, I realized that retirement was better than I had thought at six months. After ten years, I have forgotten that I ever worked at all. One really overlooked benefit of retirement is that you can go out to dinner early in the week when the restaurants aren't crowded and it is easy to get a reservation. If you like to travel, you can get better airfares by leaving on a Tuesday and returning on a weekday. You avoid the crowds at the airport, often get better hotel rates, and usually have more options on where to go.

In addition, you never worry about being late for a meeting, or having to rush to get somewhere. If you are stuck at a traffic light...so what? There's always time to go for a walk. You don't have to take off work because some repairman is coming between 10 and 4. Life is good. You just have to stay healthy.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I turn 66 and 4 months in December and that is the second decision point in my pre-retirement journey. That's when I'm eligible for the U.S. Government's Social Security Benefit Program. The first was determined by if the company I work for was awarded the DoD contract I current support. If it didn't, I wasn't going to follow it to the next contractor. A moot point. We got the contract. Three more years of work...should I choose.

And that's where I'm at. Thinking about retiring. Soon. I don't think for a second I'll regret retiring. I'm just scared by all the uncertainty.
It's a little nerve wracking for sure, but like anything new, it's just a matter of getting used to the new routine.
My advice to anyone contemplating it... Retire as SOON as you are financially able to do so.
You can always find something to keep you busy, but you can never get back the time you wished you had taken.

One additional point: retirement can be scary. The first month without a paycheck will keep you up at night no matter how much money you have. Shortly after I retired I went into my local bank to get a new credit card. As I was going through the application online with the branch manager (who knew me pretty well as a customer), the manager asked me my yearly income. I thought for a minute and finally said “I guess it must be zero.” He laughed at me. I thought of my former paycheck as my income, never thinking about interest, dividends, increases in stocks, etc.

I finally said that I had no idea at all. He told me to make something up for him to put on the application. So I did. I still don’t know the answer, but it helped me to realize that my paycheck wasn’t my income. The RMD+SS is not my income. I now think about my “budget”, which is simply whatever I decide we can afford to spend in a given year. I use a version of the 4% rule…YMMV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
One additional point: retirement can be scary. The first month without a paycheck will keep you up at night no matter how much money you have. Shortly after I retired I went into my local bank to get a new credit card. As I was going through the application online with the branch manager (who knew me pretty well as a customer), the manager asked me my yearly income. I thought for a minute and finally said “I guess it must be zero.” He laughed at me. I thought of my former paycheck as my income, never thinking about interest, dividends, increases in stocks, etc.

I finally said that I had no idea at all. He told me to make something up for him to put on the application. So I did. I still don’t know the answer, but it helped me to realize that my paycheck wasn’t my income. The RMD+SS is not my income. I now think about my “budget”, which is simply whatever I decide we can afford to spend in a given year. I use a version of the 4% rule…YMMV.
Yes, this is good advice.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am busier now than before I retired.
I don't have enough time for all my hobbies, interests and habits and I am thoroughly enjoying life.
There are a large number of folks who seem to die off after retirement, partly because ya gotta be a codger before you can retire if you're like most folks, but I think also because so many people made their work such an important part of their lives and didn't have a plan to fill that void when they retired.
Get up every morning and get ready for work, shower, shave and get dressed. Then, instead of going off to work, find those things that you like to do and do them!
I've had a few friends who voiced disappointment at their life after retirement, and these guys were the ones who sat around in their pajamas till afternoon.
How boring is that?
I hope to do just that one of these days.

I retired and traveled for 8 months straight. It was a good decompression. I needed that unwinding. Now, I do what I want, when I want, go where I want for as long as I want. Stay home if I want, as long as I want.

Everyone lives and transitions differently, but you’ll figure out what’s right for you. It’s not as scary as anyone expects it to be in my experience

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I retired from teaching in 2011. I was lucky enough to find a part time teaching position with the local youth orchestra 1 1/2 days a week with no meetings and no stress - just lessons.

I have hobbies and a few forums to keep me busy. Here's the thing - you get to do anything you darn well feel like doing. But you do have to do something. The day starts and the hours lay before you with all their possibilities, but you need to fill them with something that brings you some joy.

If you don't have enough hobbies/interests you can always volunteer small chunks of your available time.

Enjoy the journey.

I was forced to retire after a bad accident and a change in politics. My first year I was laid up in the bed or in physiotherapy. I didn't just sit around, though. I got off of the drugs as fast as I could, argueing with the doctor that I wanted off of those pain killers. I was always too active. So, not able to do all of the things I used to do, I started writing books. That has kept me really busy and I enjoy it. Then, I turned shaving into a more expensive hobby, I mean, I have been wet shaving since 1969 or so, then into those stupid multiblade abominations. I went back to DE razors. I have lots of razors. But, then I discovered brushes, soaps, and straight razors! I am deep in this mire, now, and can't get myself out of it. Hahaha!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Frequently in my dreams whilst sleeping at night, I would be still at work trying to sought out insurmountable problems? What a relieve to me when I woke up and realized I was now retired !
I did 20 some odd years in the Navy and used to have those dreams.
My second career at an engineering company was for 24 years.
About 10 years in to my second career, I started having dreams where situations and people were all intertwined between my military and civilian job.
It took a good year after my final retirement before that tapered off!

Top Bottom