What's new

How was your first time?

Hello people of B&B!

The title may sound a bit wrong, but hang in there i swear is something innocent. Since there are people in here that don't like to read walls of text(I am guilty of that too, I like to write but not read:rolleyes:) i will just post the main question first and if you want you can just skip the wall of text.

**How was your first time with a safety razor? Did you bleed to death😂 or was perhaps a amazing feeling that open your third eye👁️?**

I will go first.
Initially, when I decided to start this journey, I was set back by the fact that I didn't know where to get a safety razor. I didn't have many options since buying a razor online wasn't feasible due to the import duty fees in my country, and the various shops around me didn't sell any safety razors. There was an option to buy from AliExpress, but at the time, I was dubious about Yaqi and the other brands available there. Since then, I have learned how good those brands are. Then, my grandpa came to the rescue. He had a vintage safety razor made in Shanghai. I don't know when it was made, and to be honest, I don't really know much about that razor at all. Maybe in the future, I will make a thread to see if there is someone who can help me identify it.
He give it to me since now he uses a Gillette fusion 5 to shave and had no need for it. At first i was scared to use it since i though i was gonna cut myself, I even head a bad dream about getting cut by a razor a day or two before, probably the fear was triggering my brain. But when the moment came and i made the first stroke a feeling of awe passed thru my body. It was amazing, it felt like a revelation to me, the smoothness and the efficiency was amazing. Before that i used a Gillette Fusion 5 like my grandfather, and it had that feeling of dragging on my head(i have to mention that i head shave primarily)whenever i shaved with it. Also i was surprised that a single Astra SP was so much sharper and smother on my head that the Gillette razor. The shaven ended without cuts and overall was pleasant. I was impressed that i didn't massacre myself that day, i guess that goes to show that i head a good intuition on how to use a safety razor from the start. I know that from that day onwards there was no way back for me. I just wish to feel again that magical first stroke which filled me with awe, the technique and gear has got better but i will never be able to feel the magic of the first time ever again.

Basically this same question was asked back in January:

Basically this same question was asked back in January:
I didn't see that thread, well thanks good to know. I will check next time before i post.

My first time was 60 years ago, I learned by doing.

No internet, no Utube, no Badger n Blade.

Today a newbie has learning tools to use. Wise people look before leaping.

Yes my first time I drew blood, most people also did.

Beards were not in vogue. Today kids in H/S are allowed beards.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello people of B&B!

The title may sound a bit wrong, but hang in there i swear is something innocent.

Hello there! No worries, you always remember your first! 😁

How was your first time with a safety razor? Did you bleed to death😂

The reaper didn't require my soul for my first time out. But while I was floating down weeper river, he did make me pay my tole, in order to pass, in crimson blood. I'd like to think that nobody shaves their first time with a safety razor, without drawing some crimson gold. This is because you have to unlearn the terrible things you learned using a cartridge razor, things like applying pressure. You don't want to be applying pressure when you are using a safety razor. And you have to use the right angle too.

perhaps a amazing feeling that open your third eye👁️?**

Thankfully, I can't be nicknamed cyclops, because last time I checked, I have two eyes. Although, when I do look at myself in the mirror, my reflection burns my retina's, because my eyes are horrified by my ugliness. :letterk1:

I was set back by the fact that I didn't know where to get a safety razor.

Thats how companies like Gillette want it, they don't want you to have easy access to buying a safety razor, because then you'd discover the price gouging racket they been up to, with their cartridge razors for the past 40-years. And local shops are also only going to sell, what sells the most, and thats cartridge razors, and electric shavers.

I was dubious about Yaqi and the other brands available there. Since then, I have learned how good those brands are.

Yaqi is a known brand in the shaving space. They are a 100% Chinese brand, and they are primarily sold on Ali-Express, as they are the official retailer for that brand. Because of this, they are able to produce, and get razors to you, for a fraction of what other name brand razors cost. They are not high end razors by any stretch of the imagination, but they are darn good razors for the price! I have a Yaqi Mellon Head razor, not my favorite double open comb razor by any means, but dam it looks good with its rose gold.

Then, my grandpa came to the rescue. He had a vintage safety razor made in Shanghai.

Arn't grandpa's awesome? They love us unconditionally, and provide us with both love and goodies. Plus, the stories that our grandpa's can tell us, for they have lived a long time, experienced so much, and tend to be quite wise. And that wise nature, means they can teach us quite a lot! BTW, I am super excited to hear about this razor made in ShangHai, make sure you take a picture and share it with us when you can. I would be excited to see it! 😁

I even head a bad dream about getting cut by a razor a day or two before, probably the fear was triggering my brain.

Naturally, this is how your brain processes fear, when you are in REM sleep. It shows you that you are worried about something. But once you wake up, with a nice cup of coffee, you realize that just silly. And thus, you tried out your DE razor, and you had a smooth shave afterall.

It was amazing, it felt like a revelation to me, the smoothness and the efficiency was amazing.

It is isn't it? Its like a night and day difference experience. I tell you what, your in for a real treat once you get a quality shaving brush, and a shaving scuttle. Have you ever had a warm facial massage? Well, once you get your shaving brush and a scuttle, nice warm soapy creamy lather awaits you, while you massage it into your facial whiskers with said brush. The feeling makes you enjoy life. 😍

Before that i used a Gillette Fusion 5 like my grandfather, and it had that feeling of dragging on my head

I also own a Gillette Fusion 5 ProGlide cartridge razor. And let me tell you, my experience 100% echo's your experience. The razor blades just always drag, do not cut smoothly at all. And if you have course whiskers like I do, going over the moostash area with a Gillette Mach 5 blade, OMG, the torture, the pain is real! 😥

Astra SP was so much sharper and smother on my head that the Gillette razor.

It is isn't it? Even though Astra SP's are not the most sharpest and smoothest of DE safety razor blades, they are infact, superior to Gillettes cartridge razor blades in every way. If in the future you'd like to upgrade to a blade that feels like it came from heaven, have a look at Wizamet Super Iridium blades, they will wow you to unbelievable levels of wow factor, you'll be bursting with joy. 😊

I just wish to feel again that magical first stroke which filled me with awe, the technique and gear has got better but i will never be able to feel the magic of the first time ever again.

We all go through this for our first time. Its the moment when the light bulb in your head turns on, as you realize how you have been doing it all wrong in all the years past. But now you have discovered the secret to an awesome shave, how could you ever go back the old way? The answer is, you can't. Behold, for Marlin discovered the secret to shaving success, Marlin is awesome WOOHOO! :thumbup:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I didn't see that thread, well thanks good to know. I will check next time before i post.
Doesn't matter if that question has never been asked or has been asked 5,000 times before.
We're a discussion forum that does NOT subscribe to the "search for it" opinion.
You are free to ask any question you like that doesn't violate any of our Terms of Use tenets - and asking a question that has been asked before is not a violation, so you're good.
Otherwise, we could just make a list of questions with links that have been asked and answered, disable all comments, close up shop and go home, because -
Virtually every question asked here has been asked before and every topic discussed has been discussed before at some point.
If there's a rash of similar threads, they might get merged, but there's no need to do a search before asking a question here.

Doesn't matter if that question has never been asked or has been asked 5,000 times before.
We're a discussion forum that does NOT subscribe to the "search for it" opinion.
You are free to ask any question you like that doesn't violate any of our Terms of Use tenets - and asking a question that has been asked before is not a violation, so you're good.
Otherwise, we could just make a list of questions with links that have been asked and answered, disable all comments, close up shop and go home, because -
Virtually every question asked here has been asked before and every topic discussed has been discussed before at some point.
If there's a rash of similar threads, they might get merged, but there's no need to do a search before asking a question here.
Which is why I posted the link to the recent thread asking the same question, it’s still active and was getting responses yesterday. The OP can see a lot of answers in that thread.

First time shaving, sometime around 1985. Some disposable my mother bought me along with a can of foam. I was around 14 at the time and had quite a dark mustache and some fuzz around the chin and cheeks. The shave went fairly well considering I had absolutely no one showing me what to do. Pure intuition plus what I'd picked up from movies and TV commercials. I remember thinking I looked like a mutant with no hair on my face. Carried on like that until Army basic training four years later when a couple squad mates gave me some tips.

First time shaving DE, sometime around 2006. Merkur 23C, Israeli Personna Red, Proraso Green and an Omega brush. I'd watched some videos and read a decent amount online about how to proceed. Wasn't perfect but right away I knew DE was miles better than anything I'd ever done with a cart. Couple tentative passes and my face felt like glass. Never looked back.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I remember my first shave, Noah loaned me his razor. It was tough with the boat rocking like that.

My first shave was actually a pass me down Schick injector from my mother. I recall the chin being a challenge and having some nicks.
I did switch to a DE Super Speed and had better luck.
Boot camp mandated carts, and I used them till after I retired from the military in the mid 90's.
Picked a DE back up in in the early 2000's

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I bought a butterfly razor, QShave. Actually, the fit and finish on it wasn't bad at all. But I had purchased 100 Astra SP blades, now... not one of my favorite blades, and the results were less than stellar. I was using Barbasol canned shave foam and making all kinds of repeat passes without lather. It was kind of a chaotic mess...and my neck looked the part when it was all done, but the shouting. That's when I found B&B!

Hello and welcome to the forum!
First time was about 14 years ago I believe. Went from electrics to a Merkur 34C that I bought through Amazon + some Wilkinson blades and Williams shaving soap that they sold at my local Walmart. I had no clue how to do it since I didn't read anything online. I cut my face the first time thinking it was like a disposable razor, Lol!!
I did it for about a couple of weeks and went back to my electrics. Fast forward a decade+ and I found B&B. I've been a member here now for over a year and will never go back to electrics. I've collected tons of razors (low cost, mid cost, artisan & vintage) and lots of soaps, bowls, brushes etc.. Love it!
LRod

My first time with a DE was a disaster, like two months ago. Had just got my Merkur Progress, was really excited to try it. A couple of minutes in it was a horror movie, had to finish with a cartridge razor. Very disappointed and sad. Watched a ton of more tutorials, went to shave again and discovered I hadn’t completely screwed the knob the first time, so I must have shaved with level 5 or something 🤣

I researched some during Covid and bought a Henson. While I was careful the first time, after shaving with it I quickly found I could use it just like my previous cartridge razor. So really no learning curve with that razor.
Fast long strokes and just quickly get it done. I like the simplicity and the thought of saving money.

Hi,

I can't recall. I was 15 at the time. I'm 62 now. Dad handed me a Pre-War Tech, with a blade in it this time, and his Rubberset brush and wooden bowl of Yardley and said: Have At It.

I don't recall any blood.

I still have that razor and his brush. The Yardley is Long Gone, though! ;)

Stan

Top Bottom