How to use the forum sort "Filter"

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
At the top of each forum is an area for Filters:
Image1.jpg

Click it, and the Filter menu pops up. Select "Sort By" near the bottom:
Image2.jpg

For example, if you wanted to sort by fewest to most replies on threads in that forum, then you can select to sort by Number of Replies:
Image3.jpg

Then select "Ascending" and click the "Filter" button, then all the zero replies will be at the top.
Image4.jpg

That's it. Try it and sort by different types, and using different filters. When you exit that forum and return, it is back to default so you can't mess it up!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thank you, Phil. I am now sorting threads to make sure posts are replied to. I suppose I’m still a newbie on B & B so that’s why I wasn’t aware of the filtering feature!
There are things that folks do every day and don't think about, but then it comes to attention that maybe some other folks may not be familiar with the feature or how to use it.

I have this thread stickied at the top of the Feedback forum so that if someone thinks there ought to be some kind of "how to" they can list it, and I'll work on it!

At the top of each forum is an area for Filters:
View attachment 1451571

Click it, and the Filter menu pops up. Select "Sort By" near the bottom:
View attachment 1451572

For example, if you wanted to sort by fewest to most replies on threads in that forum, then you can select to sort by Number of Replies:
View attachment 1451573

Then select "Ascending" and click the "Filter" button, then all the zero replies will be at the top.
View attachment 1451574

That's it. Try it and sort by different types, and using different filters. When you exit that forum and return, it is back to default so you can't mess it up!
I do use the filter, but have always wondered if there was a way to permanently change the default settings?

I frequently filter the BST forum to show only FS items, sorted by most recent post rather than date of the original post. I'm guessing the default is set to deter excessive "bumping" of posts, but sorting the way I do makes it easier to find the posts that are still active, if that makes sense.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I do use the filter, but have always wondered if there was a way to permanently change the default settings?

I frequently filter the BST forum to show only FS items, sorted by most recent post rather than date of the original post. I'm guessing the default is set to deter excessive "bumping" of posts, but sorting the way I do makes it easier to find the posts that are still active, if that makes sense.
I'm afraid I am not aware of any way to permanently change the sort preferences.
Each person may have their own favorite, and yes there are reasons why some of the forums are default the way they are.

Just curious why the deals and sales sub forum in the BST is defaulted to the first post instead of last? Missed a few posts in there where someone updated an old post with a new sale or deal from a vendor but it doesn't come back to the top because of the default sort. I can see it in the FS section but would think that the sponsors and deals subforums should default sort to last post. maybe it's just me?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just curious why the deals and sales sub forum in the BST is defaulted to the first post instead of last? Missed a few posts in there where someone updated an old post with a new sale or deal from a vendor but it doesn't come back to the top because of the default sort. I can see it in the FS section but would think that the sponsors and deals subforums should default sort to last post. maybe it's just me?
Because people comment on old threads, and sorting by last post would bring a 6 month old post to a position over a thread made 10 minutes ago about a good deal.
Sorting by first post means that newest threads stay at the top.
It wasn't really intended to host running threads of ongoing deals or codes.
The forum is sorted to keep newest threads at the forefront.

Top Bottom