What's new

How to Use CrOx, Red Paste, and Black Paste to Maintain Your Edge?

Are these pastes formulated according to some kind of consistent formula
that is the same for all brands?

In other words, is the Issard green paste/crayon the same as the solingen one?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Are these pastes formulated according to some kind of consistent formula
that is the same for all brands?

In other words, is the Issard green paste/crayon the same as the solingen one?

Very good question.

My guess would be purely uninformed, inconclusive guesswork. No reason to share it. I hope someone actually has more than a guess.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I do not like to use any paste on leather. I do like to use a progression of balsa strops, lapped and very lightly dressed with diamond paste. No other approach to pasted stropping seems to work as good. .5u and .25u and .1u does the trick, if you begin with a 12k or 1u edge properly done. I use only the .1u to maintain the edge.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-17-19.Dorko(1)Off Pasted Strops(3).640.JPG

Link. Shave test will follow that post as soon as I shower and shave with this Dorko.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

I haven’t yet used CRoX or Diamond spray yet. However I did snag a new in the box Straight Razor Designs modular strop with an unused SRD CRoX and an unused Diamond spray. So I am going to have to give them a whirl before too long!

Lynn did a pretty good “How To” video on the product, so we will see how it goes.

The stone on the right is a Charnley Forest that I am going to try out this weekend!

Vr

Matt

7EF7D4F2-AB06-4C9F-A06B-CB2D0D289813.jpeg
D19EEE71-7AE5-4E6B-ACDF-394DA5F8C8BE.jpeg
A087FC28-60EA-4596-8675-D2A038C92AA6.jpeg

I do not like to use any paste on leather. I do like to use a progression of balsa strops, lapped and very lightly dressed with diamond paste. No other approach to pasted stropping seems to work as good. .5u and .25u and .1u does the trick, if you begin with a 12k or 1u edge properly done. I use only the .1u to maintain the edge.

I've been intrigued reading about The Method, but I haven't made the plunge to gather the supplies and try it yet. In looking around the web at diamond pastes and sprays, I found an interesting video from the guys at sharpeningsupplies.com where they use DMT .5u spray on a piece of lapped maple (see video at bottom). You ever tried it on maple instead of balsa? If it works as well, it seems to me like you would eliminate the step of having to bond a piece of balsa to something more dimensionally stable.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
No I haven't tried Maple and I won't try maple. Maple will work. A sheet of copper, lead, or iron will work. A Count Chocula boxtop will work. It is a matter of degree. The balsa is very accepting of the diamond and it embeds deeply, reducing scratch depth. Plus there is some resilience which at the finish, can be and usually is a good thing. And maple will warp in a moist environment. It doesn't have to warp very much to interfere with its functionality. Acrylic will not warp or swell due to moisture, and the thin balsa cannot stress the acrylic enough to warp it. Please, feel free to use maple or any other substance. The Method is all about rockin the balsa. Maple makes nice brush handles, and scales, though. I have a 2" x 2" x 1' piece I have been meaning to use for brushes, as a matter of ffact.

After focusing on stones for about a year, I have recently turned my attention to loaded strops. So far I have tried PUMA green and Titan strop dressing on the titan denim strop. Not a big fan of the PUMA, but the Titan gives significant improvement compared to my stone edges with zero effort. In time I will do all my razors with this and see how long I can make them last! After that I guess I will try to find an even better paste:).

Top Bottom