What's new

How to use canned goo SR shaving?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I thought it best to ask here rather than in the straight razor section thinking there may be more canned foam users here.

I recently found a can of Gillette shaving foam and am looking to try and SR shave with it. The last time I shaved with canned foam was decades ago when I was shaving with a Gillette Slim DE razor. About three shaves later, I threw that can of foam in the trash.

I am looking to try this foam now thinking that my technique has probably greatly improved. I wonder if Gillette foam will work with a traditional straight razor.

The instructions on the can don't give you much information. Basically just wet your face, apply foam to your hand, rub it onto your face and shave. Are their any tips to get the best possible shave with Gillette foam?

IMG_20211211_101233.jpg

I have used a SR with canned foam. It is possible. The shave was adequate, but much prefer real soap.

I just wet the face and rubbed the goo in well. I used more than Gillette recommend as I really rubbed it in. A brush would have worked better, but I didn't have access to one.

If your SR is sharp (I know you use diamond balsa so this shouldn't be an issue), shave as normal. I would skip the fools pass though.

As I said, it works but it's not something I would want to do every day.

I thought it best to ask here rather than in the straight razor section thinking there may be more canned foam users here.

I recently found a can of Gillette shaving foam and am looking to try and SR shave with it. The last time I shaved with canned foam was decades ago when I was shaving with a Gillette Slim DE razor. About three shaves later, I threw that can of foam in the trash.

I am looking to try this foam now thinking that my technique has probably greatly improved. I wonder if Gillette foam will work with a traditional straight razor.

The instructions on the can don't give you much information. Basically just wet your face, apply foam to your hand, rub it onto your face and shave. Are their any tips to get the best possible shave with Gillette foam?

when I switched to using DE and real soaps, my plan was to use up the remaining canned goop with a brush. that plan went out the window after using a proper cream. I just gave the bottle away. That said using a brush helps to work it in (just a bit).

I don't think it matters what kind of razor you use, it is the same rubbish either way. Despite the impressive look and texture there is little protection and leaves the skin dry, right after the first pass.

I neglected to mention, prep is more important when using goo. At a minimum either a hot shower or towels to soften the whiskers.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I get okay shaves with goo. Just make sure your beard is well hydrated--I mean really wet. Also, don't just paint the goo on as they do in commercials; really work it in, then paint some on.

In the meantime, don't throw your brushes and soaps away. You'll appreciate them more.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I used Barbasol a few times last year and just found not a bit drier than I prefer for a straight. Might make sure your face is well wet first. I keep a travel size can in my sop kit for the odd occasion I actually go somewhere. It does work though.

There's also an "uberlather" technique - using canned foam or gel with regular shaving soap. Glycerine works as well - just a small amount of either combined with your usual lathering technique produces a voluminous lather, without degrading the properties of the soap. The trick is using a small amount - as in very small - and it obviously doesn't work very well with face lathering....

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning (Wednesday) was the same prep as normal. This time I did not shake the can. I just squirted some of the milky cream Gillette "foam" into my damp brush and face lathered, adding a little water to get a consistency similar to yesterday.

First pass was WTG. A failure. I tried, I really tried hard to get this Gillette foam to work well for me straight razor shaving. I (or it) failed. I couldn't take any more!

I washed the used sump oil off my skin, pulled out my tallow Tabac and commenced shaving again. Oh what a feeling to get back to using a decent SR shaving lather.

That can of Gillette goo will never tempt me again. It is now in the trash.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have now calmed down after my last Gillette "foam" straight razor shave.

There are some positive points that I learnt in this little exercise. There may be the rare occasion when you need to SR shave and you only have canned goo available. You need to know what to do.

To SR shave with canned foam without a brush available:
  • Shack the can very well to ensure that all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
  • Wash face thoroughly and rinse well, leaving your face as wet as possible.
  • Apply foam to your fingers and rub well into your whiskers, adding water until you reach the same consistency as you would with soap lather.
  • Shave as normal.
  • You will need to reapply foam and water as required between passes.
  • When finished, try your best to remove the oils left on your face from the foam.
To SR shave with canned foam with a brush available:
  • Shack the can very well to ensure that all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
  • Wash face thoroughly and rinse well, leaving your face as wet as possible.
  • Apply goo to your fingers.
  • U sing a brush, work the foam well into your whiskers, adding water until you reach the same consistency as you would with soap lather.
  • Shave as normal.
  • You will need to reapply foam with the brush and water as required between passes.
  • When finished, rinse the brush very well to try and remove all traces of the foam.
  • Rinse your face and try your best to remove the oils left on your face from the foam.
Now I know.

I have used barbasol with a straight razor, I did not like the shave, however Nivea and kiss my face work very well, without brush or mug. P S nice razor set

This morning (Wednesday) was the same prep as normal. This time I did not shake the can. I just squirted some of the milky cream Gillette "foam" into my damp brush and face lathered, adding a little water to get a consistency similar to yesterday.

First pass was WTG. A failure. I tried, I really tried hard to get this Gillette foam to work well for me straight razor shaving. I (or it) failed. I couldn't take any more!

I washed the used sump oil off my skin, pulled out my tallow Tabac and commenced shaving again. Oh what a feeling to get back to using a decent SR shaving lather.

That can of Gillette goo will never tempt me again. It is now in the trash.
You at least you tried

Top Bottom